Local service shop in L.A. Cal ?

Cal Blacksmith

As I posted in the sweet finds thread, I picked up a Yamaha M80 for $175 at a pawn shop[:D]. It works great and I am using it as a side speaker amp in my HT. I have about 4 hours on it since it came home but I would feel much more comfortable if it gets a good once over by a tech. The binding posts need to be replaced (evidently this is COMMON on the M80) as they mount into a plastic panel. Due to it's age, I am sure it would benifit from a good freshining up of power caps or whatever it needs. I have no hesitation sending it to Craig except for shipping 50 pounds half way across the U.S. can add up a bit.[:(]

Any options or advice on a local tech?

Good call, I will do that.

On a side note, I may be heading up your way between Christmas and Newyears, it seems that some members of a goup that I belong to borrowed something in about April and I need it in Feb. Now they want ME to go get it, it seems they are all too busy to bring it down![:@] They offered to bring it as far south as about Fresno but that was for this weekend and there is no way I can go there this weekend. SO if they can't find a place to store it in Fresno, it will either stay or go back up to Sebastipool (I think that is close to how you spell it) I know that no matter what I do, I am going to wind up being the "bad" guy in all of this [:|]

When I had my M 70's checked out, I called Yamaha and ask them for a list of authorized repair shops in the area. After getting some phone numbers, I called the repair shops and ask if they could work on the old amp. I live near Chicago, which may have made it easier to find someone to work on my amps.

Most service places could likely manage repairs, but modifications, parts upgrades to better grade modern caps etc. and you need a place that specializes in that sort of work, and in a direction that you like. It would be no help if the shop was local, deep into mods and did quality work, but insisted on using brands etc. you don't want for price or whatever reasons.

That said, come to one of the meetings and ask around I am sure you will get a hat full of suggestions, take them with a grain of salt.

http://www.laocas.com/