EPIK SUBS

jvs1670

My appologies if that came off a little brash...it's just that I've been around the block with the DIY tapped horns and other DIY designs too. While the F-20, SPUD clone, and Lab12-TH would all be excellent choices for a kick-butt home theater system, the design process falls a little bit short when pressed into music service.

The SPUD certainly isn't cheaper. The Lab12-TH won't filter any harmonics (been there, done that). And the F-20 doesn't cover any new ground that the THT hasn't already been on. Then there's some mechanics of the the Lab12-TH and F-20's cabinetry that could use some polish.

It's not how they perform in the sub bass region that's the problem, it's how they behave on the upper side of their band pass that makes or breaks the design when it comes down to playing music and working well with the mains they're supposed to supplement.

My appologies if that came off a little brash...

No problem, it's all good.

. And the F-20 doesn't cover any new ground that the THT hasn't already been on. Then there's some mechanics of the the Lab12-TH and F-20's cabinetry that could use some polish.

If you're referring to bracing, I agree. I added bracing to the F-20 I built and the cabinet is every bit as inert as any sub I've seen.

It's not how they perform in the sub bass region that's the problem, it's how they behave on the upper side of their band pass that makes or breaks the design when it comes down to playing music and working well with the mains they're supposed to supplement.

I didn't have any measuring equipment when I built the F-20 but I did have the ability to adjust the cut off frequencies of the upper end of the signal going to the sub. Once dialed in, it was very musical (to me) and I'm fairly critical. If it didn't sound good to me. I'd have no problem saying so. I wouldn't defend it just because I built it.