Scotch drinkers.

CECAA850

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to buy my daughters boyfriend a nice bottle of Scotch for Christmas. I'm more of the clear (Gin, Vodka) alcohol drinker and know nothing about Scotch. Suggestions please.

Thanks, Carl.

IMHO, there is NO bad single malt on the market. Dalmore can be had for 25.00 or so...

Here's my favoritie reference:

Appendix A: Classification of Scotch Whiskies

The 12 groups resulting from Ward's (1963) minimum variance clustering of Scotches are described as follows. Group names (A-L) are as in Fig. 1.

Scotches:
a list of the whiskies in the group
Average characteristics:
the dominant characteristics for members of this group; the colour, nose, body, palate and finish characteristics are separated by semicolons
Distilleries and Scotches average rating:
average scores given by Jackson (1989) to these distilleries (from 1 to 5) and Scotches (from 0 to 100), separated by a semicolon
The best of its class,
according to Jackson (1989), among those selected for our study: Scotch name, (region), age and score for that Scotch
A.1. Group A
  • Scotches: Aberfeldy, Glenugie, Laphroaig, Scapa
  • Average characteristics: full gold; fruity, salty; medium; oily, salty, sherry; dry
  • Distillery and Scotch average rating: 2.75; 75.3
  • The best of its class: Laphroaig (Islay), 10 years, 86
A.2. Group B
  • Scotches: Aberlour, Balvenie, Benrinnes, Dalmore, Glendullan, Glenlivet, Glenturret, Highland Park, Lochside, Macallan, Millburn, Oban, Singleton of Auchroisk, Strathisla
  • Average characteristics: amber; sweet, sherry; medium, smooth; dry, sweet; long
  • Distillery and Scotch average rating: 3.86; 80.0
  • The best of its class: Highland Park (Orkneys), 12 years, 90
A.3. Group C
  • Scotches: Ardmore, Blair Athol, Clynelish, Glenmorangie, Port Ellen, Talisker
  • Average characteristics: pale gold; sweet, salty; medium to full, oily; sweet, spicy; big, long, Spicy
  • Distillery and Scotch average rating: 3.50; 78.5
  • The best of its class: Talisker (Skye), 10 years, 90
A.4. Group D
  • Scotches: Auchentoshan, Ben Nevis, Coleburn, Speyburn
  • Average characteristics: pale gold; fruity, grassy; oily; sweet, fruity; sweet, quick
  • Distillery and Scotch average rating: 2.75; 69.5
  • The best of its class: Auchentoshan (Lowlands), 10 years, 85
A.5 . Group E
  • Scotches: Balblair, Bladnoch, Caol Ila, Edradour, Glenburgie, Inchmurrin, Inverleven, Kinclaith, Littlemill, Pulteney
  • Average characteristics: pale wyne, gold; fruity, peaty; light; sweet, spicy; fruity
  • Distillery and Scotch average rating: 3.00; 74.8
  • The best of its class: Bladnoch (Lowlands), 8 years, 85
A.6. Group F
  • Scotches: Aultmore, Benriach, Benromach, Bunnahabhain, Cardhu, Dalwhinnie, Glenallachie, Glen Deveron, Glenkinchie, Glen Scotia, Inchgower, Knockando, Miltonduff, Springbank, Tullibardine
  • Average characteristics: gold; aromatic; medium, smooth, light; sweet; sweet
  • Distillery and Scotch average rating: 3.27; 76.5
  • The best of its class: Springbank (Campbeltown), 15 years, 88
A.7. Group G
  • Scotches: Cragganmore, Glenglassaugh, Glen Moray, Longmorn, Rosebank, Tamnavulin, Tomintoul
  • Average characteristics: gold, full gold; grassy; smooth, light; grassy; dry
  • Distillery and Scotch average rating: 3.43; 79.1
  • The best of its class: Cragganmore (Speyside), 12 years, 90
A.8. Group H
  • Scotches: Bruichladdich, Deanston, Fettercairn, Glenfiddich, Glen Mhor, Glen Spey, Glentauchers, Ladyburn, Tobermory
  • Average characteristics: white wyne, pale; sweet; smooth, light; sweet, dry, fruity, smoky; dry, light
  • Distillery and Scotch average rating: 2.44; 69.2
  • The best of its class: Bruichladdich (Islay), 10 years, 76
A.9. Croup I
  • Scotches: Ardberg, Bowmore, Dufftown, Glenfarclas, Glenlochy, Glenury Royal, Jura, Lagavulin, Longrow (Springbank distillery)
  • Average characteristics: gold, full gold, bronze; dry, peaty; medium, light, finn; dry, smoky, sweet; salty
  • Distillery and scotch average rating: 3.67; 79.9
  • The best of its class: Longrow (Campbeltown), 14 years, 90
A.10. Group J
  • Scotches: Glen Albyn, Glengoyne, Glen Grant, Glenlossie, Linkwood, North Port, Saint Magdalene, Tamdhu
  • Average characteristics: full gold; dry, peaty, sherry; light to medium, round; sweet; dry
  • Distillery and Scotch average rating: 2.88; 72.8
  • The best of its class: Linkwood (Speyside), 12 years, 83
A. l l . Group K
  • Scotches: Balmenach, Brackla, Convalmore, Craigellachie, Dailuaine, Dallas Dhu, Glendronach, Glenesk, Glen Keith, Glenordie (Glen Ord), Glenrothes, Knockdhu, Mortlach, Tomatin, Tormore
  • Average characteristics: gold, full gold; sweet, dry, peaty; medium to full; sweet, dry; dry, long Distillery and Scotch average rating: 3.07; 74.0
  • The best of its class: Dallas Dhu (Speyside), 1971, 85
A.12. Group L
  • Scotches: Banff, Caperdonich, Glencadam, Glen Elgin, Glen Garioch, Imperial, Lochnagar, Teaninich
  • Average characteristics: full gold; aromatic, peaty; medium; sweet, smoky; smoky
  • Distillery ond Scotch average rating: 3.00; 73.3
  • The best of its class: Lochnagar (eastern Highlands), 12 years, 80

Dave

Brac, I was looking for something that was considered good tasting under $50.00.

Then I'll repeat myself: To my knowledge, there are no bad tasting single malts, period.

Granted, I'm good with a Mogen David and soda over ice...[:$]

But, to ensure I am not percieved as an "anything with ethyl in it" type, there are some dreadfully dirty gins, vodkas, some AWFUL rums, nasty bourbons and sour mash, etc.

It's just that with single malt, there are no startups or newbies and the Scottish will not suffer any besmirching of their precious uisgebeatha, or water of life.

Dave

Brac, I was looking for something that was considered good tasting under $50.00.

Then I'll repeat myself: To my knowledge, there are no bad tasting single malts, period.

Granted, I'm good with a Mogen David and soda over ice...Embarrassed

But, to ensure I am not percieved as an "anything with ethyl in it" type, there are some dreadfully dirty gins, vodkas, some AWFUL rums, nasty bourbons and sour mash, etc.

It's just that with single malt, there are no startups or newbies and the Scottish will not suffer any besmirching of their precious uisgebeatha, or water of life.

Dave

Point taken, that's why I'm asking. As far as Vodka goes, I like most anything made from Potatos. Chopin's my favorite but there are some cheaper ones (Monopolowa for example) that are inexpensive and taste pretty good. I've only found 2 Gins that I really like. Tanqueray 10 (pricey) and New Amsterdam (inexpensive and REALLY good). All the above get shaken with ice (straight) and poured over 3 queen olives.

I agree... However, my personal favorite is Glenfiddich.

I'm an Islay Scotch fan especialy Lagavulin. When I started drinking it it cost $50 a bottle but now it is $110... 8-(

For those that want to learn about scotch without paying big prices check out by the dram http://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/ You can also try some rare and usually unavailable scotch this way just click try sample.

If you want to window shop the crazy rare stuff http://www.masterofmalt.com/old-and-rare-whisky/

CECAA850, I will second the recommendation of The Macallan 12 year Sherry Cask. Runs $55 or so here in NYC, perhaps less if you shop around. Without getting into the more esoteric & expensive single malt scotches, you absolutely CANNOT go wrong with The Macallan. To quote from Michael Jackson's Guide to Single Malt Whisky,(which is chained to the bar at Keen's steakhouse here in Manhattan), "Macallan is the Rolls Royce of single malt whisky." Of course this recommendation takes into account you actually like the guy! PS: Lagavulin is also a great single malt but runs above your stated budget.

While your there ask if they carry "Royal Salute". You might be feeling froggy and willing to spring a little extra $ for future S-N-L. If it's not the best it is one of them.

[:D]

Through a loophole sometimes this Scotch can be scored on Ebay at what many consider reasonable prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-Royal-Salute-Chivas-Brothers-Spode-Decanter-Dark-Brown-Unopened-/271064310745?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1cb123d9

Point taken, that's why I'm asking. As far as Vodka goes, I like most anything made from Potatos. Chopin's my favorite but there are some cheaper ones (Monopolowa for example) that are inexpensive and taste pretty good. I've only found 2 Gins that I really like. Tanqueray 10 (pricey) and New Amsterdam (inexpensive and REALLY good). All the above get shaken with ice (straight) and poured over 3 queen olives.

Try Russian Standard, though its not from Potatoes. Chopin was and is expensive, I always for potato went with luksusowa vodka

As for gin I like Tanqueray as well but their 10 is expensive, did you ever try Hendricks with a cucumber?