Scotch drinkers.

CECAA850

...second the recommendation of The Macallan 12 year Sherry Cask. Runs $55 or so here in NYC...

That's my vote also. Here is a visual, if you haven't purchased something already Carl. It's packaged in a square cardboard case.

Just to make it easy, Carl, I'll go along with these guys. Only way a person can't like this is to not like Scotch.

Dave

That one just got an asterisk.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

You have probably already purchased something, but for future reference, Balvenie has come out with a doublewood variation. After the normal maturation in the whiskey cast, they finish it off for a few months in a sherry cast. Really, really smooth.

Great tip... I may head to the package store today and see if it is carried here locally.

I picked up a few more bottles of single malts this season. Balvenie Caribbean Cask has been matured in traditional oak whisky casks for 14 years, and then ‘finished’ in casks that previously held Caribbean rum...sounded unique so I picked up a bottle of it for a try. I also got a bottle of Glengoyne 10 yr old this afternoon...the price was quite reasonable and only two bottles left at the Class VI store on the Air base. Air dried malted barley...no peat drying...outta be something unique on the toungue!

-Andy

post-9310-13819826523052_thumb.jpg

Balvenie has come out with a doublewood variation.

Went to Messiah at Jones Hall, Houston tonight. AWESOME! But that's in the 2 Channel Forum. After, we went Sorrento to eat. Whilst I could was poetic about the Foie Gras and Veal Chops, instead of dessert I elected a shot of this Balvenie.

Incredibly good. Must have a bottle of my own... Highly recommended and perhaps the finest neat sipping whiskey at the price I've ever had cross my lips.

Dave

Tonite was my Glenmorangie Quinta

Ruban taste...while I have been cleaning/lubing my old Circa 1968 Roamer

Stingray compressor automatic, and tomorrow is my Glenfarcus 21 taste, while I

do a planned cleaning and lubing of my Certina DS turtleback, and I plan to do

a joint taste of Balvenie Doublewood with my old high school buddy on Christmas

evening. I will crack open the Balvenie Caribbean cask on New Year's Eve for a

taste or two. Lots of tastes and watches

to clean and lube over the next few days!

Collection maintenance is time-consuming, but a taste or two makes it

pleasant.

-Andy

HD, what did you think of the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban? That is the replacement for the old "Portwood Finish", which was my favorite Glenmorangie product. Apparently they raised the proof from 80 but it supposed to be quite similiar. I recently finished my last Portwood & have a Quinta in the bullpen. I am looking forward to cracking it sometime in the new year.

The Balvenie is perfect for my one of my favorite desserts. I almost did it last night, but others weren't having dessert, I hadn't tried it, so I had it neat.

They had a couple of desserts featuring vanilla bean ice cream. That means they could...

Give me a dip of vanilla and a shot of Balvenie, and bring the pepper grinder.

A world class ice cream, with a shot of fine single malt poured over it, then fresh ground black pepper.

Suitable for the finish of one's last meal on earth. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Dave

HD, what did you think of the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban? That is the replacement for the old "Portwood Finish", which was my favorite Glenmorangie product. Apparently they raised the proof from 80 but it supposed to be quite similiar. I recently finished my last Portwood & have a Quinta in the bullpen. I am looking forward to cracking it sometime in the new year.

I would venture to say that it is just a name-change marketing thing for the same portwood finish. There is no difference in taste to me. I prefer many of these finishes or double caskings for no other reason than a change of pace, providing the original version is paletable to begin with.

People have told me numerous times about bad original experiences with Scotch...and it always seems that it occured in their youth when getting totally tanked was the primary reason for drinking anything...plus they almost always imbibed copious amounts of inexpensive blends and topped it off with wine or beer and got sick!

My reply is that they have missed out on some good things in life by ruining their tastebuds for the good stuff by guzzling the cheap stuff, then finishing the ruin of their taste buds by "UNDRINKING" it! Most of them "get it" and agree, but there are always a few who just don't "get it" and never will. Copious amounts of Cutty Sark on top of taco bell offerings capped by a 6-pack of Bud is not really considered having a leisurely taste of a nice Scotch, IMHO.

-Andy

People have told me numerous times about bad original experiences with Scotch...and it always seems that it occured in their youth when getting totally tanked was the primary reason for drinking anything...plus they almost always imbibed copious amounts of inexpensive blends and topped it off with wine or beer and got sick!

My reply is that they have missed out on some good things in life by ruining their tastebuds for the good stuff by guzzling the cheap stuff, then finishing the ruin of their taste buds by "UNDRINKING" it! Most of them "get it" and agree, but there are always a few who just don't "get it" and never will. Copious amounts of Cutty Sark on top of taco bell offerings capped by a 6-pack of Bud is not really considered having a leisurely taste of a nice Scotch, IMHO.

A lot like folks who have never even heard fine audio gear, because they blasted themselves with the cheap stuff while at college frat parties. CVs turned up to loud, listeneing to worn out LPs. A fine recording on Klipsch was beyond their means...

Bruce

Unlike many, my first forays into Scotch were brought about by Scot Para friends who suggested I try Glenfiddich...and if too broke to afford it, then try Teacher's blended. To this day, I am still a fan of Glenfiddich...and I still like to make my Gaelic coffee using Teachers with a bit of sweet heavy cream. Since I am by no means wealthy, but have been lucky enough to have tried a number of very well-regarded Scotch whiskies, I have my preferences. I do not rely on the preferences of others in order to establish my own preferences, but I have determined that many so-called experts have preferred particular Scotch selections which I have simply not found to be so pleasing to my own tastes. I also do not ascribe favor to a particular selection solely due to it commanding a high price...I have honestly tried some very costly selections which have not been highly favored by me, but which have been very highly touted by the so-called experts. So, there you have it...please don't expect high praise from me for some Scotch selection that does not satisfy my personal tastes. My opinion is that this should also be the case for anybody, but it seems many all too often are allowing the so-called experts to determine what their personal tastes SHOULD be instead of making those decisions themselves.

I am my own person...I will remain so. I have always practiced that individual freedom, my extensive time in defense of my country makes me feel that I have earned that right and I intend to continue its practice.

This applies to many more things than opinions of whiskies. If you expect me to praise something just because the majority does so, you may be quite surprised at times by my responses. The upside to this is that you will get honesty from me, whether you like it or not.

I wrote this after a double taste of Caribbean Cask Balvenie, which was pretty good...and assisted me in my cleaning and lube of my Certina DS turtleback. EVERY watch collector should have at least ONE Certina DS or DS2 Turtleback...they are FINE instruments of time-telling!

Merry Christmas to all, and may a few fine Scotch Whiskies pass your lips this season!

You have probably already purchased something, but for future reference, Balvenie has come out with a doublewood variation. After the normal maturation in the whiskey cask, they finish it off for a few months in a sherry cask. Really, really smooth.

+1 The Balvenie is my go to Scotch, the doublewood or single cask are always on hand at my house