Where to find AR14 parts?

Thaddeus Smith

I know you guys in here often listen to more than just Klipsch, so I figured I would enlist your for help in making me a super awesome son-in-law. My father is the original owner of a pair of Acoustic Research AR14's and won't give them up for anything. He has blown a tweeter and came to me for help in tracking down a replacement. Any ideas of where I can point him and therefore serve as his superhero for a change?

The first place is to look is ebay - you'd be surprised what turns up there.

The second thing is do a web search for AR parts or Acoustic Research parts. Every once in a while you'll run across some guy who has a garage full of old parts.

Also, check with Audio Classics in Binghamton. In fact, check with them first. They sometimes will have parts like that.

Good luck

Older style AR-14 tweeters were Peerless KO10DT with a custom face plate, available on eBay for about $77 (shipped).

Newer style AR CLASSIC Models 5, 6, 8, 12, 18, 26 and 30 will also fit:

http://www.abtechservices.com/arspeakers.html

Check the crossover networks before spending that kind of money, check the old tweeter too. The black plastic tube caps with the red end-fill go bad, a much cheaper fix.

Check the foam on the woofers too.

You could also buy a cheap pair of AR-16 with shot woofers and swipe the tweeters.

thanks for all your help guys. He's an electrical engineer and so eventually decided to fix the tweeter before buying a replacement.

Took the faceplate off the tweeter and was able to get to the voice coil underneath and solder in a jumper. Put a little Shoe Goo over the spot on the cone I melted with the soldering iron (flexible) and reinstalled. Sounds great! Thanks for your help.>/p>