RIP: Mitsubishi RPTVs

jhoak

I never owned a Mitsu RPTV but know several people who do/did. The only RPTV I ever owned was a Hitachi. I don't recall the size but I want to say 42" or so. I sold it to my Sister when I got my first LCD

It was hard to beat the "bang for buck" of a RPTV. Even up until recent years you could get a much larger RPTV than LCD or Plasma for the same money. If you were in to really big on a really tight budget RPTV was the way to go.

Alas like all "outdated" technologies it was time for RPTV production to come to an end. I'm VERY surprised that Mitsubishi hung on to the line as long as they did.

Agreed. The "off axis" picture on a RPTV was a world better than LCDs or Plasmas of the time. That was my greatest disappointment with my Westinghouse LCD.

I really didn't mind my then girlfiend almost sitting in my lap but 18 or 19 year old Son not so much.

lol, i just picked up a 73" mitsu and couldn't be happier. Sure, it has its limitations (which are considered faults when matched against plasma and LCD) but I couldn't be happier. It has a nice cinematic feel to it and the picture quality is great when you respect the TV and its needs for good light control and viewing angles. I'm ok with replacing lamps every year or two, and even the light engine and other common parts are pretty inexpensive to replace.

i have a 10isx10ish wall and sit 20ft away - 50" was no longer immersive and a 70" flat panel is too rich for me right now - nor am I interested in a full front projection system. I see it as a shame to shrink the pool of available technologies even further.

I was very happy with my completely trouble free Mitsubishi WD57731 57"DLP with the exception of the contrast ratio(very visible in dark scenes). The Diamond series WD57831 took care of that problem but it was more $$$. I would have gone the 60 or 65 inch DLP route if I had not found my Samsung PN596500 for $1199.00.

The DLP lamp took a dump 3 months after I sold the Mitsubishi to my neighbor for $300.00. Luckily, he bought a replacement lamp for $99.00.

Hmmm, maybe a 73 inch DLP will fit in my space? Nah, I like my plasma very much.[Y]

Bill

I am on my third Mitsubishi DLP, new 82" just got here last month. I don't see why there is so much hatred for these sets on the various forums. Mitsubishi's customer service is great and their TV's picture quality can't be beat in a dark room. And yes, I have owned three Plasmas and two LED sets, all leading models by leading manufactures. DLP is highly underrated and I am very sad to see them fade away. Does make me glad that I bought the 82" though:)

ha, yes. blackout drapes to cover that west facing sliding glass door. i needed the light to take a non-blurry photo. :P

I would like to see a photo of the system from a higher angle, perhaps a ladder shot... opps, never mind...

Here is a good review of Mits 92840 that goes over the pros and cons.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Mitsubishi-WD-92840-Review.shtml

Went into a local tv store and they had all the tvs on a HD NFL football game. I walked into a room that had a Mitsubishi 73 tv and sat down watched it for about 5 minutes and then walked around the store looking at about 25 other tvs and the mits looked just as good(sharpnes, color, etc) as most of the other tvs.

Those who say the Mits tv don't look as good as other tvs need to see one properly set up like I did. Would some of the other tvs that cost a lot more have a overall better picture, of course but you will pay for it and when cost is your biggest concern then the Mits are great.

Just like the Cornwall or La Scalla will give you a sound that is close to the Klipschorn for a lot less money the Mitsubishi tvs are the same.

I may buy a 73 inch Mits cause I can get one right now $1000-1300 and can probably get a better deal around the superbowl.

Don't get me wrong you have to consider the pros and cons and for me it is the best bang for your buck.

In 4-5 years 80 inch tvs will be around the price Mits 82 tvs are now and I can get one of those.

Boxx if I do get one I'll see what I can do to take that picture from the top of the ladder.[:D]

lol, i just picked up a 73" mitsu and couldn't be happier. Sure, it has its limitations (which are considered faults when matched against plasma and LCD) but I couldn't be happier. It has a nice cinematic feel to it and the picture quality is great when you respect the TV and its needs for good light control and viewing angles. I'm ok with replacing lamps every year or two, and even the light engine and other common parts are pretty inexpensive to replace.

i have a 10isx10ish wall and sit 20ft away - 50" was no longer immersive and a 70" flat panel is too rich for me right now - nor am I interested in a full front projection system. I see it as a shame to shrink the pool of available technologies even further.

Agreed. A shrinking pool of choices is never a good thing IMO. I have the 65" Mits DLP and love it, my wallet loves it too. $800 bucks for a brand new 65" 1080p, 120Hz, 3D Ready set?! You just can't beat that. Might be a good time to score that 82" or 92" set if you've got your eye on one.This is my second DLP with my first being a 50" Sony Bravia 1080p, 60Hz. I still have the Sony in storage in the basement, it works great and I only replaced the bulb once in three years with heavy usage. For those that would argue the depth limitations, I ask you this. Where do you have your A/V gear? If you said up front, then you've already committed that depth anyways. My receiver is DEEPER and as heavy if not heavier, than the TV. It had to go somewhere, and once you include the A/V cabinet you're probably at about 24" depth anyways, these sets are around 15". My TV is pushed back as far as it can go on the cabinet and sitting 12ft away looks as if it IS mounted on the wall. I'd like the option to buy another one in the future if it fits my needs. "And then there were just three choices....." I can hear myself telling some youngster in 30 years as he looks at me through his TV glasses/contacts/embedded brain chip. Lol