Lets see your bars

The Dude

I have been tossing some ideas around in my head about the bar I would like to build in my theater room. So you know my over all room is about 30' by 15' maybe 33' by 15' don't know the exact measurements. I would like to build a simple bar to seat about 3-4 people with a simple bar back. I was thinking about 42" high for the bar then step down to about 36" . I don't know how deep to make it, and how much space between the bar and bar back. I figured the bar back would be about 24" deep since that is standard depth of cabinets. Then I would add some shelves.

This would be in the back of the theater room.

• 5 weeks later...

I would start with the stools you prefer and build it around those based on the measurements of you sitting on those stools. Elbow height is critical. Are you eating plated food at this bar or merely munchies as this will affect the front overhang? Will you include a foot rest for those standing? The lean height when standing is important as well. L shaped bars have advantages when coming out from a wall and accomodating 5-8 people. 36"- 48" work space is typical between the front of the rear storage cabinets and the backside of the bar surface. Will this be plumbed for a sink? Garbage disposal? Will you have refirdgeration either under or behind the bar - as the door size when open will have to be accomodated for? Lots of things to consider. Remember this is a work space for the bartender and a relaxation space for those being served. Two very different purposes to design for between the front and the back.

Your kitchen is a great place to get some basic measurements from to begin the planning process. Sink sizes. Refridgerator sizes. The all inportant work triangle. Distance from storage cabinets to preparation counter, etc.

duder1982: Please forgive the grainy photo, but here is our little home theater, full service bar that seats 3 people on counter chairs instead of taller bar stools. All thrree people can clearly view the screen and hear the Klipsch 7.1 reference system.SInce our theater is only 10-1/2 feet wide by 19 feet deep, I decided to scale things down without compromising on useability. The entire counter height is kitchen counter heigth: 36 inches rather than bar height: 42 inches. I used a standard oak arm rail and stainless steel footrail just as you'd see in a larger bar, yet the counter and stool heights are kept down and more comfortable than bar stools becasue you can still rest your feet on the floor it you wish. There's an under-counter stainless steel bar fridge, hand-made storage cabinets and to the left, a hot sauce collection. The Yzerman jersey is signed and our theater has a Detroit Red Wings theme. You can see the rd recliner theater seats just in front of the bar.The back bar liquor bottles sit on top of a clear plexiglas shelves with a 4 foot flourescent blacklight bulb beneath. There's a high-quality stanless steel barsink in the main counter. BTW: There's an RSW-15 sub beneath the bar counter (below the microwave). Lighting is VERY important! I have a mixture of line voltage and low voltage (12v) fixtures and they are all remotely controlled via the theater remote. Our entire theater contains 12 independant lighting zones that are remotely-controlled. -Glenn (click on the photo for a large view)

post-10177-13819826925028_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A standard bar stool will have a 29" seat height...I believe I put mine at 42" or slightly higher to accomidate spill mats on the back (as an oh crap...I forgot to lower the back to accomindate spill mats!). It was initially built to accomidate my draft system, but plans changed and that remains in the garage, so I built shelves with doors instead of the back bar for storage. I will post some pics at some point when I have some time.

ACE

I purchased my oak arm rail at a local cabinet shop in Wyandotte, Michigan. It is not cheap. I bought it for about $150 (in 2004) for 8 feet of it. I measured it 4 times before I made any cuts. I cut the corner angle in a 12-inch power miter saw, by cutting it part-way through on one side and then flipping it over and finishing the cut. It was scary! LOL Nailed-it the first time, thank goodness. -Glenn

• 11 months later...

I built mine specifically for a space in my house in MN when I completed the lower level in 2003. The bar is simply oak plywood, oak crown molding, oak 1x stock, and 2x4s. It is technically 3 pieces (top, long front and corner) that I bolt together and screw the top down from the underside. I've moved twice across the country and it breaks down easily and is transported easily.

It's 8 feet long, 44 inches tall and 20 inches deep. You can stand comfortably or sit at the tall chairs that I have for it.bar_zpsf69624b0.jpg

• Moderators

You grow bamboo

This is the clump that did the roof in the pic, it's about 25'-30' tall, the root part is about 6' wide, the whole top has been cut there is about 35 pieces left over hanging to dry for other things.

We live on a corner, it is one row of bamboo about 500' long going around the corner and another about 250' long going down another property line, neither is as tall as this single clump was. I had azaleas and crepe myrtle trees before the bamboo, I changed it for more privacy, and I like bamboo.

post-9700-0-89020000-1388601850_thumb.jp