System Help

jbd

I am helping a friend put together a system for his basement. It is not very large and I was thinking of a 5.1 system with a seperate zone for the toy area.

1) LED/LCD/PLASMA for a tv choice?

2) His audio budget is not huge. Dare I ask if he can go with an "all in one" system?

• Like 1

1. The friend has kids, so games will be important. I just read a thread about gaming TV's, and this guy really seemed to have some strong opinions and a good deal of first hand experience:

Well first off, 6.5ms is horrible for gaming. I have had at least ten tv's over the last few years. I have had LG 120hz 47 inch lcd, Samsung 55 inch led lcd 120hz 3d, hp 37 inch, proscan 32 ( for my daughter), Toshiba 240hz 47 inch, phillips 47 120hz inch lcd, etc.. Also have a 51" inch Samsung Plasma 3D 600hz. The Phillips had a 2ms response time and blew every TV I had out the water as far as smooth motion and gaming. Second I would put the LG, third the Toshiba, which both had around a 5ms response time. Now the plasma...it craps all over all those TV's for fast motion and gaming. LCD and LED's ( which are still LCD just LED lit) pass a light through a liquid crystal which twists accordingly to display a pixel in a picture. This takes at least 2ms. A plasma sends electricity through a gas an instantly displays a color pixel. Plasma's have response time of .0001ms. this totally illiminates motion blur. Couple that with a 600hz refresh rate and plasmas are super smooth for fast moving movies and gaming. Also all these TV's that say 240 hz or 480hz that are led are not true. A 240 hz is really a 120 hz with backlight scanning, and a 480 hz is really a 240hz with backlight scanning. This creates the illusion of 480hz but is a minupulated # and not a true 480hz. LED's that are true 240hz can only display about 800 lines of resolution for 3d. A plasma has the speed to display a full 1080 lines of 3d resolution. Plasmas also have deeper blacks and better colors depth as well as a deeper depth perception which makes movies, games and especially 3d images seem more 3d. LED's do have an advantage in brightness, but its not much. LED's use a little less power, but your talking a couple dollars per year!! Now the BURN IN: This was a problem like 10 years ago when they first came out. Now it is almost impossible to burn in a screen, especially if you buy a good brand. Is it possible? Yes, but it is possible to burn in an LCD or LED or CRT. New Plasma's use pixel shifting and a better phosphorus gas to prevent these things. There is more of a risk with the cheaper manufacturers of Plasma's. Google Samsung wins C-net's accidental burn in test, or HD Guru fails to burn in plasma. So bottom line a Plasma will out perform and LCD or LED any day place or time. Once LED's have true refresh rates over 800hz they will complete with Plasma's, but this will be very hard since no matter what it is still Liquid crystals which take time to shift!!

All in one systems can be quite good. I would call it a starter system, though.

All very helpful - thanks!

Any recs for a starter system? Perhaps something all in one? I am debating suggesting a home theater in a box or a speaker system with seperate receiver.

Greetings JBD, I used to own the Quintet II system paired with the Klipsch sub 12 and I think this is a great satellite and sub combo. I was very happy with them and when the upgrade bug bit I just added a speaker or two at a time. There was also a post in the alert section of the forum for the HD 1000 system for $399 at onecall.com. I have never personally heard the HD 1000 but that seems to be a great price for a quality htib, just add a receiver and your off to the races.

The HD 1000 has gotten great reviews at a great price.

Does anyone have any info on the following? Energy by Klipsch Take Classic 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System

This is available at a local retailer (ABT which is the best!) and I can go hear them. Same price. . . around $400.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any info on the following? Energy by Klipsch Take Classic 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System

I just purchased this but haven't listened yet as it's a Christmas gift for my son. He just got his first (very small) apartment and this should fit his needs well. It has very strong consumer reviews as well as an outstanding review on CNET. It was 299.00 when I ordered on Saturday from Amazon.