Go 4 RF-82's or Front RF-82 and surround speakers

tdunlap0001

Hello,

I am getting ready to replace my quintet satellites currently running as my rear set to better compliment the rest of my system i build earlier this year with much help from this forum. I am trying to decide if i want to invest more for 2 more RF-82's (first gen) and run 4 in total or upgrade the quintets to the rs-52 surrounds? Any thoughts on the matter? Would the speakers be used enough to warrant such a substantial upgrade? (as in the RF-82)

Another question i have is, are surround speakers better in a 5.1 system than rear speakers? I ask because, from what ive read surround speakers need to be (ideally) placed to the left and right of where your at.

Current setup:

1. Receiver: Denon AVR- 1911
  2. Fronts: RF-82 (first gen)
  3. Center: RC-52 II
  4. Sub: HSU VTF-15H
  5. Rear: Quintets

Thank you much,

Terry

If you are watching mostly movies the rs-52's would be my choice for you. If you are a multichannel music guy then a direct radiating speaker is better for that. But I would say your money would be best spend on a pair of rs-42's or 52's. I had the 82's with the 52 center and 42's for rears for my first setup and they kept up just fine. So if you felt like saving a few bucks you could do that. Also make sure you buy em from somewhere that will give you a good price on them. Acoustic sound design or sound distributors or something.

If you are watching mostly movies the rs-52's would be my choice for you. If you are a multichannel music guy then a direct radiating speaker is better for that. But I would say your money would be best spend on a pair of rs-42's or 52's. I had the 82's with the 52 center and 42's for rears for my first setup and they kept up just fine. So if you felt like saving a few bucks you could do that. Also make sure you buy em from somewhere that will give you a good price on them. Acoustic sound design or sound distributors or something.

Hello

Good to see you again Scrappydue.

I do like to watch a lot of movies but i would say my main focus is music. Currently i only listen to music in stereo, but that is probably because my rear speakers don't ,or cant keep up with everything else. In all honesty i have never really listened to a good multichannel music setup so i am unsure if it would be something i would deem worthy of the extra cost. I would imagine it would be a very powerful full sound in all regards.

How would rear speakers compare to surround speakers in functionality?

As always Scrappydue,

Thank you.

Go for some surround speakers like the RF 42 or 52's. The RF 82's are great surround back speakers in a 7.x setup.

Hello Jerrickdj1,

Thanks for the response. Could you explain why they are only viable in a 7.x setup? What are your thoughts on Scrappydue's response regarding multichannel music?

Thanks,

Terry

I would agree with what scrappy said. If music is your main choice then getting a second pair of the exact same speaker is going to be optimal. I would love to have a 7.1 surround system with all of the same speaker. When I listen to all channel stereo in my setup, the different kinds of speakers just kinda sound 'off' so I usually turn it back to stereo. Multichannel music sounds great out of the RS-62IIs tho.

Could you explain why they are only viable in a 7.x setup? What are your thoughts on Scrappydue's response regarding multichannel music?

Scrappydue's response was right on the money. For a 5.1 system that will be used for movies, the RS 42 or 52 would be great, these are Klipsch WDST speakers. Direct radiator speakers, ie. bookself can also be used. These type of speaker are good for Front Height, Surround Back and surround(not my first choice). The RF 82's can also be used for surrounds. They will not receive as much action and may be overkill. All of these speakers should also work with movies or music in a 5.x or 7.x system. Choice depends on what will fit/work in your room.

I would agree with what scrappy said. If music is your main choice then getting a second pair of the exact same speaker is going to be optimal. I would love to have a 7.1 surround system with all of the same speaker. When I listen to all channel stereo in my setup, the different kinds of speakers just kinda sound 'off' so I usually turn it back to stereo. Multichannel music sounds great out of the RS-62IIs tho.

Hello,

Thank you for the advise.

When you factor in the price difference in the two options do you think there would be enough benefit to justify the added expense and size of the speakers when used 65:35 (music:movies)?

Thank you,

Terry

Could you explain why they are only viable in a 7.x setup? What are your thoughts on Scrappydue's response regarding multichannel music?

Scrappydue's response was right on the money. For a 5.1 system that will be used for movies, the RS 42 or 52 would be great, these are Klipsch WDST speakers. Direct radiator speakers, ie. bookself can also be used. These type of speaker are good for Front Height, Surround Back and surround(not my first choice). The RF 82's can also be used for surrounds. They will not receive as much action and may be overkill. All of these speakers should also work with movies or music in a 5.x or 7.x system. Choice depends on what will fit/work in your room.

Heyo,

From what you wrote it seems that running 4 RF 82's would be great but its not really worth the the additional cost and size?

Thank you Much,

Terry