RIP Dave Brubeck

RichardP

http://news.yahoo.com/manager-jazz-composer-pianist-dave-brubeck-dies-170407395.html

There was a filmed interview with Brubeck on "Jazz" (the series for television by Ken Burns, episode 7 - "Dedicated to Chaos") that told a pretty good story of the man. Brubeck related the story of hitting the front cover of Time Magazine after Time Out hit the charts before Duke Ellington made the front cover. Ellington apparently came to Brubeck's hotel room door to congratulate him--and Brubeck almost broke into tears telling the story on video, referring to his embarrassment over realizing that fact at that time, and the humility of Elllington -- the man that Brubeck looked up to in his Jazz career. I believe that Brubeck was also a gentleman--and the best cross-eyed jazz pianist that I ever heard that couldn't read music.

There are quite a few Brubeck albums. Time Out is apparently his opus 30, with a listing over 110 titles in total.

A toast to another giant of Jazz in passing.

Chris

Playing music can be a pretty healthy lifestyle. Dave Brubeck lived to be 91, and entertained millions.

I saw him play here at Jazz Fest International when he was 88. His energy level was very low, but his playing was as intricate and lyrical as ever.

RIP Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a filmed interview with Brubeck on "Jazz" (the series for television by Ken Burns, episode 7 - "Dedicated to Chaos") that told a pretty good story of the man. Brubeck related the story of hitting the front cover of Time Magazine after Time Out hit the charts before Duke Ellington made the front cover. Ellington apparently came to Brubeck's hotel room door to congratulate him--and Brubeck almost broke into tears telling the story on video, referring to his embarrassment over realizing that fact at that time, and the humility of Elllington -- the man that Brubeck looked up to in his Jazz career. I believe that Brubeck was also a gentleman--and the best cross-eyed jazz pianist that I ever heard that couldn't read music.

See "What the tributes to Dave Brubeck missed"

Chris

Dug out a CD of Brubeck on Telarc:

To Hope! A Celebration.

Recorded at the Washington National Cathedral with the Cathedral Choral Society Chorus and Orchestra. It was an entire Mass setting. He did a lot of religious works. It wasn't until he wrote the "Our Father" for the Mass that he joined a denomination. He hadn't written the part and saw it all in a dream, got up and wrote it down. He also joined the Catholic Church after that. The consumate musician, always the nice guy. Such a loss.

Bruce