Playstation 3 for Bu-Ray

vondy

I was thinking about asking for a PS3 for Christmas to replace our slow moving blu-ray player with the added bonus of having a gaming console. Looking at the new 500gb Assassins Creed combo one.

I always heard the PS3 was a great blu-ray player. Question is, how does it handle Dolby True HD and DTS HD audio? I read somewhere that it will not let your receiver process it, you have to let the PS3 do it. Somewhere else I read it doesn't process HD audio on 3D disk. Not that I watch 3D but good to know in the future.

Anyway, I figured someone where knows, I can't seem to find enough on Sony's PS site.

Thanks!

• Moderators

I have the original "Fat" PS3. Works fantastic for movies, gaming and media server. Absolutely love it with no problems at all.

My understanding the new "Slim" version will allow you to Bitstream and allow your Receiver to do the decoding. The "Fat" PS3 has to send it PCM to the receiver. The ONLY difference from everything I have read online is the receiver does not say DolbyTrueHD or DTS-Master but instead says PCM. Same HD quality no matter which is doing the actual decoding.

As far as 3D, I do not have any info on that.

I would use caution when getting the new super slim ps3. I bought one two weeks ago to replace my slim that fell. The top loading ps3 has two problems 1) it makes more noise the the slim especially when loading up the movie and game, just a thin plastic cover on top that slides. 2) it feels very, very poorly put together, I'm sure if young hands got a hold of it it could break. I would look at getting a regular slim unit instead, I know it won't come with Assassins creed 3 (a great game too!) but they still have bundles with uncharted 3 and others.

I'm confused, I thought the newest ps3 was just one size, no?

Not too worried about the noise unless it's crazy loud as we will be far away from the unit and it's going to be inside an entertainment center.

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, about a month ago the released the super slim model its smaller then the slim mode. I took some quick pictures for comparison, sorry about the quality I'm using my tablet.Posted ImagePosted Image

I wasnt aware there was a super slim version either...but im not up on the latest and greatest either.

It may be the latest but it sure isn't the greatest. I should have just gotten the regular slim model to replace the broken one. I still think the best one was the 80 gb fat, i could play ps2 games on it.

I have two ps3's in operation in my house. i have the orignal FAT PS3. I bought is specifically for the Blu ray player, Believe it or not it was the cheapest Blu ray player on the market. Having said that i adopted Blu ray right after the decision was made between HD DVD and Blu Ray DVD. Other than being fat, The thing is fantastic, and then when i bought my 3D TV, all i had to do was a software upgrade and i was good to go. I do not game on it at all. i use it specifically for movies and music. HDMI to the TV, and optical out to the receiver. not sure about the True HD issues ppl are discussing, but my system sounds good. i see the autosensing on my receiver changing on occassion to accomodate new and older blu ray recordings. The FAT blu ray is now specific for music and 3d movies only.

On my PS3 SLIM, that is HDMI out to my projector, and optical out to the receiver above. i project of a flat white wall with a 9ft diagonal picture.

For both PS3s above, i would do HDMI out to treceiver and then to TV or projector, but my receiver does not have HDMI.

My recommendation is buy one, you wont be disappointed, having said that, i dont game, i am not a gamer, not sure of the gaming experience on the ps3.

XBOX vs PS3 for gaming is a different thread.

I used the PS3 as my bluray for quite some time. It does a good job and if you plan on using it to game then by all means go for it, but if you really don't think you'll be using it to game much, then I would go elsewhere for a bluray player. Dedicated players are faster all around, and that was one of the biggest things I noticed as well as the picture being sharper when I upgraded to an oppo.

I used the PS3 as my bluray for quite some time. It does a good job and if you plan on using it to game then by all means go for it, but if you really don't think you'll be using it to game much, then I would go elsewhere for a bluray player. Dedicated players are faster all around, and that was one of the biggest things I noticed as well as the picture being sharper when I upgraded to an oppo.

I agree if you’re not going to play games then I would get a
normal blu ray player.

Your right schu the oppo is a beast. I got a cracked disc

form Netflix a few days ago and the oppo played it with not even a hint if an

issue. Just to see I tossed it into my ps3 and it couldn’t even get it to the menu

screen without an error pop up. It wasn’t

a huge crack but still that says something. Add that with faster smother and a

much better picture (on my projector) and I’m sold.

Nope the oppo's( 93 anyhow)) don't blow the ps3 out of the water.You might say it's marginally better and I may agree.I have had every oppo except the new version and the 95.I have 130 inch screen and sold my oppo 93 (it was slow and clunky) with no regrets.The oppo is a great player for $250, for $500 it's twice more than it's worth, just imo.The ps3 did stuff oppo does now years ago, the oppo does dvda and sacd though.

If however you got $500 or $1k to drop the oppo is the best in that price range, or even more.