Anyone calibrated there own tv?

Scrappydue

You can buy a setup disc, Avia makes one and it comes with filters so you can accurately see colors to calibrate the system with. I did this to my HT projector but did not bother with just the LCD/LED TV, though it would be easy to do. All you need is a DVD player but I think they now have a disc for BD.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/Video-calibration.aspx

I used the Spears and Munsil blu-ray to calibrate my TV before I had ISF do it professionally. The guy said the settings I came up with were pretty close to what his final outcome was, however I couldn't ulitmately achieve what he was able to do because of the machine he had with him.

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/

I spent the afternoon with the Disney WOW calibration disc.I know it sounds goofy to hear that Disney has a calibration disc, check out the reviews on AVS, it was well worth the effort and at $40 well worth the price. It also has filter and sharpness tools. It also has an audio component as well with multiple frequency sweeps that helped me locate some rattles in my hvacPosted Image

I've done it both ways. A calibration disc is a good way to go as far as expense is concerned and gets you very close. To me, the professional calibration was worth the money though if you want it to be absolutely perfect. I wouldn't use anyone from Best Buy however. I found a very respected calibrator over at the AVSforum and had him do it for me. There's no way a $40.00 disc will do as good of a job as a seasoned tech with a good eye and about 30K worth of test gear.

THIS is who I used. He travels cross country doing calibration "tours".

I just used the guys at cnets settings, I am sure its very close to what some guy would do in home (the guy who does this at cnet is isf cert), and its free and easy to do.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-566046/panasonic-tc-p55gt50-picture-settings/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

This is my tv, I just used the settings and so far it looks great.

Damn chrome,

I just used the guys at cnets settings, I am sure its very close to what some guy would do in home (the guy who does this at cnet is isf cert), and its free and easy to do.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-566046/panasonic-tc-p55gt50-picture-settings/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

I used this link for my tv, and so far it looks great! Mind you my plasma is not broke in yet, but for free and how this guy does his testing I think its great!

I've done it both ways. A calibration disc is a good way to go as far as expense is concerned and gets you very close. To me, the professional calibration was worth the money though if you want it to be absolutely perfect. I wouldn't use anyone from Best Buy however. I found a very respected calibrator over at the AVSforum and had him do it for me. There's no way a $40.00 disc will do as good of a job as a seasoned tech with a good eye and about 30K worth of test gear.

I can see what you mean 40.00 vs 800.00. But I will say for 800.00 he offers a sound test showing were you are on reverberation kind of stuff. I don't think that the local guys go that far for a lot more money. Now only if he was coming to Nebraska, and now I just need a finished home theater.

I can see what you mean 40.00 vs 800.00. But I will say for 800.00 he offers a sound test showing were you are on reverberation kind of stuff. I don't think that the local guys go that far for a lot more money. Now only if he was coming to Nebraska, and now I just need a finished home theater.

The $250.00 calibration is what most people need. I didn't think he could improve the sound that comes out of my pre-pro once the ARC is engaged. I only did video calibration. If you have a projector, you might go for the next tier of service.

His tours change states in different times of the year. Just check back periodically or e-mail him and ask when he's coming your way.

Since I'm done with this disc I can send it to you and you can try it out for yourself if you like, its been sitting on the shelf for over a year collecting dust.I'm sure shipping would only be a few dollars.

lieb, does that disk have filters and stuff with it? If so I would gladly Paypal you a few bucks to borrow it.

that guy seems pretty legit and lake of the Ozarks isn't too far from me. Two hours! I think I will save that for once I move and have my home theater fully setup. For now a disc will probably do the trick.

that guy seems pretty legit and lake of the Ozarks isn't too far from me. Two hours! I think I will save that for once I move and have my home theater fully setup. For now a disc will probably do the trick.

Jeff is definitely legit and is a perfectionist. Highly recomended.

Really gets one thinking as to pro calibration of not just the tv but

the audio as well. His comparison(s) of auto calibration vs. manual with

pro equipment are very interesting.

Really gets one thinking as to pro calibration of not just the tv but the audio as well. His comparison(s) of auto calibration vs. manual with pro equipment are very interesting.

To me, it would all depend on the level of your room correction software.

I used the Avia disc in 2006 on my Sony XBR2 and everything checked just fine. After about 3 years of operation had to retweek almost everything to get it back in. The amount of color control had to be reduced from 50 to 22 so something must have changed inside the guts. But it still looks great.

JJK