Anyone calibrated there own tv?

Scrappydue

If you go with the disc, I suggest going through multiple times. I noticed some settings I changed later messed with settings I had previous so it took a few sweeps through before I could make it all the way through the disc without having to change any settings.

From what I've heard, people that calibrate have codes to access other menus as well for fine tuning. I gotta say it's probably something that I will never get done professionally. Who knows tho...

service mode... I used that when I did mine.

The Sony's have an access code which is available in their service manual if you purchase one. It takes a while before the manuals are available

if the set is a new model.

Understanding the thousands of codes in that menu is another story and you can screw it up beyond belief but they do have a default to reset everything.

JJK

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it both ways. A calibration disc is a good way to go as far as expense is concerned and gets you very close. To me, the professional calibration was worth the money though if you want it to be absolutely perfect. I wouldn't use anyone from Best Buy however. I found a very respected calibrator over at the AVSforum and had him do it for me. There's no way a $40.00 disc will do as good of a job as a seasoned tech with a good eye and about 30K worth of test gear.

THIS is who I used. He travels cross country doing calibration "tours".

I can see what you mean 40.00 vs 800.00. But I will say for 800.00 he offers a sound test showing were you are on reverberation kind of stuff. I don't think that the local guys go that far for a lot more money. Now only if he was coming to Nebraska, and now I just need a finished home theater.

I would like to clarify my services that are being discussed here. It does not cost $800 to have me do a room acoustics analysis. The minimum cost for this alone would be $200 if you are near where I go. Also the cost of my gear is about $40k not $30k. I also use custom engineered tools by me that are not available anywhere else. I am very flexible on what I offer service wise. If you want to discuss this further please contact me.

I've done it both ways. A calibration disc is a good way to go as far as expense is concerned and gets you very close. To me, the professional calibration was worth the money though if you want it to be absolutely perfect. I wouldn't use anyone from Best Buy however. I found a very respected calibrator over at the AVSforum and had him do it for me. There's no way a $40.00 disc will do as good of a job as a seasoned tech with a good eye and about 30K worth of test gear.

THIS is who I used. He travels cross country doing calibration "tours".

I can see what you mean 40.00 vs 800.00. But I will say for 800.00 he offers a sound test showing were you are on reverberation kind of stuff. I don't think that the local guys go that far for a lot more money. Now only if he was coming to Nebraska, and now I just need a finished home theater.

The $250.00 calibration is what most people need. I didn't think he could improve the sound that comes out of my pre-pro once the ARC is engaged. I only did video calibration. If you have a projector, you might go for the next tier of service.

His tours change states in different times of the year. Just check back periodically or e-mail him and ask when he's coming your way.

This is a common perception about automatic audio calibration and I find it to be universally false. It is a shame people rely so much on the the automatic audio calibration systems. They are generally lacking no matter what manufacturer you are talking about.

I would like to clarify my services that are being discussed here.

Welcome to the forum Jeff !

x2, welcome Jeff! Hadn't talked to you in several years, but I had the firsr KURO you ever calibrated. Still has incredible PQ.

Carel

Thanks.

I pray my 151FD keeps on trucking for years to come. It is the best flat panel I have ever seen and it is unlikely to be surpassed anytime soon.