Favorite Holiday Season Discs

Chris A

This thread is not restricted to any particular faith, e.g., Hanukkah (Festival of Lights) starts at sundown today, although I have no such disk to honor the occasion.

John Eargle is the recording engineer for this one...which is very nice at concert level, and particularly after unmastering.

51eWB7IbHFL._SS500_.jpg

Chris

Edited by Chris A
Added unmastering comment

Another recorded by John Eargle...

516bP6LaU1L._SS500_.jpg

This one starts with Nutcracker dances for guitar quartet, then segueing into renaissance dances by Michael Praetorius, Thomas Morley, and Giovanni Gabrieli. Highly recommended.

Chris

• Like 1

And of course my favorite holiday recording...

61NFgmVAXEL.jpg

This is probably the most outstanding recording that I own. (Linn Records)

Chris

• Like 1

516bP6LaU1L._SS500_.jpg

This one starts with Nutcracker dances for guitar quartet, then segueing into renaissance dances by Michael Praetorius, Thomas Morley, and Giovanni Gabrieli. Highly recommended.

Chris

This one is downloading into my Amazon Cloud as I type. I'm anxious to hear the entire album... Thanks for the recommendation.

Another spectacular Prof. Johnson recording of the Dallas Wind Symphony:

51tf6Y-oHmL._SS420_.jpg

This isn't your typical Chistmas carol recording...

Chris

51094qyd%2BsL._SS500_.jpg

This is playing right now...and it's a nice break from the "old standards". This includes the "Christmas Concerto" of Arcangelo Corelli, parts of which you heard in the movie "Master and Commander: the Far Side of the World".

Also recommended for recording and performance quality.  Unmastered, it's even better.

Chris

516bP6LaU1L._SS500_.jpg

Chris

This one is downloading into my Amazon Cloud as I type. I'm anxious to hear the entire album... Thanks for the recommendation.
[Y][Y][Y]

• 2 weeks later...

And a local favorite that isn't a particularly reference quality recording, but the collection of pieces always pleases both my tastes and my significant other's:

71HOkrzK5%2BL._SL500_.jpg

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...