Favorite Holiday Season Discs

Chris A

This one was apparently used as a primary "audiophile test disc" at RMAF a couple of years ago.  After unmastering this disc really comes alive.  You'll like the selections, too:

71nkcPrGWoL._SL1064_.jpg

You can find it at: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E64YT

Chris

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

This one just came in, as it was released in October.  It's knocking my socks off (Multichannel Hybrid SACD).  I've never heard anything like this before.  The noise floor must be -60 dB or even lower, and the clarity of the performance hall (in Japan... The Bach Collegium Japan) is unsurpassed by any other recording that I own. The voices are superb, and the compositions are in arrangements that I've not heard before.  "Wow."  Very highly recommended.

71uaGpRm6-L._SL1200_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVXBDWB/

Chris

Another new holiday season multichannel SACD that showed up yesterday.   I'm thinking that I need to concentrate on multichannel discs from now on, since this disc may have the most convincing depth and width of soundstage that I've heard thus far.  It's simply outstanding.  Chandos CHSA 5096:

51gF11-f1jL.jpg

Wow...

Chris

• 11 months later...

Two favorites. For the longest time it was George Winston. Disovered him on a lark, really. We were going through vinyl albums at the store and decided we liked the album cover. So, home it came having never heard of him before 1983. On the anniversary edition there is a sing entitled "Christmas Song" that brings back sweet memories of a 9-week old kitten I rescued from the streets of a low income area of Cincinnati.  By the time he was a few months old, early in the morning while I was still in bed, he would climb the bed covers up onto the top to come see me, panting from his climb. Then lay across my neck to keep warm and sleep with me. Sadly, he passed away in my arms 8-years later of kidney failure. His ashes are still with me.

I have all six Winter Solstice albums from Windham Hill Records. Each year I eagerly went to my nearest Borders store to snach the next issue. Number IV just stood out the best when I played the first track. The rest of it didn't dissapoint.

71JCu5kLo5L._SX522_.jpg

41cDlRi75zL._SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg.webp