Oppo-103 vs fat ps3

Heritage_Head

So with all the debating on this topic the last few weeks i figured since i have both it might be cool for some people to see a few shots of each. To my eyes its not even close but keep in mind my photo skills are sadly not to good. The pics are on my projector with the lights off so its always tricky.

The first pic is the oppo and you can see the depth in color and blacks (contrast) are really good.

post-50231-13819825529544_thumb.jpg

That's impressive, I didn't think the differences would be that dramatic, well played sir.

You and me both. I bought it for everything but that. I went into it wanting a fast player that would last and play everything. Not in a million years did i think i was going to get that kinda bump in picture quality. Very impressive.

• Moderators

Very cool comparison pics. From the images, the PS3 looks much softer and the contrast isn't as good. But in all fairness, the Oppo is twice as much as the PS3 and thus should provide a better picture quality. Not sure we are comparing apples to apples here. [:P]

Very cool comparison pics. From the images, the PS3 looks much softer and the contrast isn't as good. But in all fairness, the Oppo is twice as much as the PS3 and thus should provide a better picture quality. Not sure we are comparing apples to apples here. Stick out tongue

I paid 600 for my ps3 and 500 for the oppo. i know they are cheaper now but they are also built cheaper now so they can sell them cheaper. So in terms of money its pretty close.

• Moderators

I paid $400 with 10 bluray disks and a 40' HDMI cable but that was almost 3 years ago. Isn't the 103 a current Oppo model? Still not sure it's apples to apples with the PS3 being a 6 year old platform. Technology has changed a TON in the past 6 years.

• Moderators

Taken from the Oppo website...

Unparalleled Video Quality:

• Qdeo by Marvell - The BDP-103 incorporates
    Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo™
    technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing
    experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts
    for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-103
    faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for
    DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your
    current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and
    user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-103
    offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression
    artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge
    enhancements. To learn more about the Qdeo video processing technology,
    please read the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief.
  • 4K Up-scaling - Enhance the home theater experience
    with four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p by up-scaling all video
    sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) output resolution.

Those are two technologies that do not exist with the Fat PS3. [;)]

Are those pics without any picture settings changed in the oppo? I messed with the settings a bit on mine, but ended up going back to no settings as it seemed to have made it less natural to me. I guess I would rather change the settings on the TV than the oppo if I'm wanting to mess with the picture. I need to get one of those home calibration disks and see what I can do.

I would dump that ps3, netflix looks better than that on mine.

its a $200 dollar camera taken in the dark with me holding. Personally I think the ps3 looks really good so not sure what you mean fish (is that just a shot at my poor picture taking skills?). In fact for a long time the fat ps3 was considered the best blu ray player on the planet so i think comparing oppos cheapest player to it is a pretty even fight considering the ps3 status (and price they were at least 400 or more for a long time).

I paid $400 with 10 bluray disks and a 40' HDMI cable but that was almost 3 years ago. Isn't the 103 a current Oppo model? Still not sure it's apples to apples with the PS3 being a 6 year old platform. Technology has changed a TON in the past 6 years.

Better yes but the comparison is to show by how much and if it would be worth the extra money to someone (not saying it is just showing why i think it is). Its ok if i didn't sell you lol. Nothing wrong with the ps3 imo.