Oppo-103 vs fat ps3

Heritage_Head

Question: which output of your disk players are you using? Is it the HDMI out or the analog (e.g., "RCA"). I think that this makes a very large difference.

The analog outputs of the PS3s that I own aren't very good but I really don't care much since I use the HDMI (bitstream) output. Bits are bits. It could be that the codec decoders being used by the two units (analog only) are different, leading to a different image, but I'm a bit skeptical. If you are talking about problems with digital connectors and cabling, etc. leading to loss of digital data, then that's a pretty big deal (...that I've not heard anything about with any Blu-Ray player now selling).

If you are talking about "disk player oversampling" then there might be a difference, but to my knowledge this is only applicable to DVD/CD audio output.

Chris [8-|]

Reading these forums (and others) we are always reading about how great something is that someone just bought (me incuded). So i know how it can sound sometimes (i must admit i have rolled my eyes at least few times lol). One example is when someone spends $500 on speaker cables and says its like someone pulled a bed sheet off the speakers and now they sound so much better. So when someone posts that one blu ray player has a better picture than another i would be skeptical too (roll eyes).

I think most of us agree oppo makes a good player. I had the 93 and ps3 side by side on 130 inches and no one I know could see a difference like the photos.There may be one but if " I " cant see it it don't matter.There are many reasons a picture can look different, too many to base any opinion on a photo.What role does the model ps3/projector/avr/cables/internal component variations(supplier) between same units play? maybe none, maybe some?

I think it's great you like the oppo and are happy, that's what we all want.I could show you a bluray live on my lowly ps3 and epson that most would/do say is stunning.Anyway, congrats on the oppo, I know it's a great player.You can enjoy it and sell it for good money next model upgrade.

I would dump that ps3, netflix looks better than that on mine.

its a $200 dollar camera taken in the dark with me holding. Personally I think the ps3 looks really good so not sure what you mean fish (is that just a shot at my poor picture taking skills?). In fact for a long time the fat ps3 was considered the best blu ray player on the planet so i think comparing oppos cheapest player to it is a pretty even fight considering the ps3 status (and price they were at least 400 or more for a long time).

It should be noted that Cnet used the PS3 as their REFERENCE Blu Ray player for many many years when doing comparisons of TV's (and still may) cause its that good. Oppo has a legacy and a solid track record from videophiles and as such is on many people's radars, this doesn't mean that the PS3 is sub par by any means. I own a PS3 and have been back and forth for quite awhile now as to whether or not to get an Oppo. Ill let my wallet decide when the time comes.

I think most of us agree oppo makes a good player. I had the 93 and ps3 side by side on 130 inches and no one I know could see a difference like the photos.There may be one but if " I " cant see it it don't matter.There are many reasons a picture can look different, too many to base any opinion on a photo.What role does the model ps3/projector/avr/cables/internal component variations(supplier) between same units play? maybe none, maybe some?

I think it's great you like the oppo and are happy, that's what we all want.I could show you a bluray live on my lowly ps3 and epson that most would/do say is stunning.Anyway, congrats on the oppo, I know it's a great player.You can enjoy it and sell it for good money next model upgrade.

I personally think the ps3 is a great player ("my lowly ps3"??). Its for that reason why I'm so excited by the Oppo-103 performance. My whole point was to compare them and have a friendly debate if the 103 is worth the extra money. I try and stay away from comparing one thing to another because for some reason someone will get personally offended for some reason and try and discredit the reviewers facts somehow. I never said the ps3 was crap and I'm sorry if anyone took it that way.

• Moderators

I'm not discrediting the 103 from performing better than the PS3, my point was that it should being it's twice the price of the PS3 and the "Fat" version is 6 years old technology. Not sure if the newer slim or the anorexic version offers any video improvement over the Fat version.

The old ps3 are better than the new ones in every way. Even Sony would probably tell you that. In fact i read an interview years after the old ones came out that said sony lost money on every unit they sold at the 599 price point. I should have posted shots of my other blu ray player that no one has vs the 103 lol.

I personally think the ps3 is a great player ("my lowly ps3"??). Its for that reason why I'm so excited by the Oppo-103 performance. My whole point was to compare them and have a friendly debate if the 103 is worth the extra money. I try and stay away from comparing one thing to another because for some reason someone will get personally offended for some reason and try and discredit the reviewers facts somehow. I never said the ps3 was crap and I'm sorry if anyone took it that way.

I don't think anyone has been quoted yet saying the ps3 is crap, so I also hope no one took it that way.When I say lowly ps3 that's just my term( nothing to do with anyone here), I have owned players costing 5 times more.I see nothing wrong with comparing things you own, may own.I hope it's a friendly discussion period because I don't think anyone here owns Sony or OPPO as a company.The ps3 is not perfect, but I don't feel like listing it's shortcomings operationally.I paid $199 with a free game a year or two ago, for that price I hate to complain, it does work.

Things like "this blows that out of the water" etc....is what sometimes causes further discussion on gear.The oppo does have a superior picture to a ps3, it is marginal, not great, imo.It will not effect me if oppo and Sony sell a million or go out of biz.I call it as I seen it ,this forum has years of me buying and complaing about a crappy piece of gear, or complimenting good gear.I don't get attached to gear, if it's good and a good value I like it, if not I'll say so.

I'll leave the balance of the discussion to you all.I just wanted to point out that a pic is not universally conclusive.I also wanted to say I take nothing here personally, I also don't have any issue with anyone or their remarks. It's just a forum for yacking with your fingers.[;)]

The old ps3 are better than the new ones in every way. Even Sony would probably tell you that. In fact i read an interview years after the old ones came out that said sony lost money on every unit they sold at the 599 price point. I should have posted shots of my other blu ray player that no one has vs the 103 lol.

I remember hearing that as well. Their business model was to sell for a loss and make up for it in games and accessories which they were apparently making a killing on. Didn't the first PS3s also support SACDs?

I remember hearing that as well. Their business model was to sell for a loss and make up for it in games and accessories which they were apparently making a killing on. Didn't the first PS3s also support SACDs?

Not the VERY first... but some PS3 units did(also had more meory slots) and That is the unit I had. when I finally sold it and replaced it with my oppo93, I had 10 buyers wanting it sight unseen.

Edit:
A deal just popped up on a 95. Any advise to help me choose would be greatly appreciated.

How good of a deal? I have considered(and still considering) an Oppo 95. Great build quality(built to last) and all bells and whistles I need/want.

Bill

I guy local to me is selling one for $650, looks like that's a pretty good price. Now I am over thinking it, like every other audio decision I have ever made. I can get a brand new BDP-103 for $499 on amazon, I like buyin new.

Side question (didn't want to start a new thread for. Question that has probably been asked a few times):

Would RS-7's blend with my RF-3 II RC-3 II fronts? Pioneer SC-35 is the receiver if it matters.