Oppo-93 and above

D-Rex

Best picture quality. Standard DVD's look great. Best 3D player. SACD. DVD-A. Multi channel music sound great. You can hook up an external drive and play music and movies. I use the drive as a music and movie jukebox. I don't use the internet services much like Netflix or Blockbuster. Does not have Amazon Instant Videos. Best universal player I've used. Pretty much plays any disc format out there. Can come in handy if you use discs from outside the US. Not tried the newer models. Don't have a need to upgrade yet.

You can also hook it directly to a multi channel amp. It does have volume control. You just have to set it up for variable output. This would be the simplest HT setup. I prefer this setup but now I have too many other sources to hook up. I use Roku for Amazon instant Videos.

You can probably get good prices on them now since the newer models have come out.

Thanks for the replies, good info!

When I was looking for a receiver a few months back I settled for the Onkyo 818 and was told it had superior DVD upscaling. I tried to watch my Star Wars DVD a few weeks back and had to take it out because it was not the quality I wanted on my 64" plasma. So, would I expect to get that much greater of a picture or is the source just that bad on some DVDs? I would expect a movie like Star Wars to be the best quality available on DVD though.

When I was looking for a receiver a few months back I settled for the Onkyo 818 and was told it had superior DVD upscaling. I tried to watch my Star Wars DVD a few weeks back and had to take it out because it was not the quality I wanted on my 64" plasma. So, would I expect to get that much greater of a picture or is the source just that bad on some DVDs?

If I watch a DVD from my Integra DPS-10.5(2004 model) DVD player, I let my NAD T175HD pre/pro handle the upscaling with it's superb Sigma Designs VXP processor. If I choose to play a DVD from my Oppo BDP-83, I let it's onboard Anchor Bay processor handle the upscaling. If you want your Onkyo to handle the DVD upscaling, set your player to the DVD's native resolution(480P) and set the Onkyo scaler to 1080P and see if that makes a difference.

Bill

" If you want your Onkyo to handle the DVD upscaling, set your player to the DVD's native resolution(480P) and set the Onkyo scaler to 1080P and see if that makes a difference."

I am new to much of this fancy stuff... I will try it again doing as you suggest. Thanks!

Before any of you had purchased an Oppo, or another high end blu ray player, had you purchased one of the standard players and noticed some granularity at times? I have seen that occur and just chalked it up to being a poor blu ray. Was it actually the player more than likely?

Before any of you had purchased an Oppo, or another high end blu ray player, had you purchased one of the standard players and noticed some granularity at times? I have seen that occur and just chalked it up to being a poor blu ray. Was it actually the player more than likely?

I am not sure if this is what you are referring to but some movies(ex. Saving Private Ryan) have a grainy film like appearance that is done by design.

What movies are you referring to?

Bill

are you referring to artifacts? All I know is the Oppo blows the PS3 out of the water on my two Plasma's.it wasn't even close, as the difference is extremely noticeable.

I don't remember a specific movie but I have had some so bad I simply stopped watching them (within the first 2-3 minutes from the beginning.) I have seen some that appear to be purposefully hazy. When I see it again I will try to make note of the movie and when it occurs within the movie.