So the mcrib is back nationwide.

Jay481985

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think this is a pretty good wikipedia article on the history and contents of the McRib.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McRib

I'm almost embarrassed to say that one time I ordered some short bbq ribs from Burger King. Suppose it was a promotional menu item. It was a little pice of rib bone with a bite of meat stuck to it. I thought, OK, I'm not expecting much, but how bad could it be? It is actually a rib bone and meat.

It was among of the worst things I've ever put in my mouth. I mean it was foul. I don't know if it was spoiled meat or just the worst version of bbq in the world. Could not eat it.

This review comes from one of the most forgiving persons regarding various genre's of bbq appreciating regional differences, flavors and signatures. I'm not fussy about q. If that's the way your momma or daddy fixed it, ok, it's still q. I'm not fussy about it.

Heh. yeh. It's not a great bbq sandwich, but i just remember where it comes from: McDonalds. It's just like what you'd expect for fast food bbq from McDonalds. I don't buy their burgers, either. Their coffee is alot better than it used to be, though.

one comment on the flavor on the McRib, it's been a few years, so this is from that memory, the McRib has a more robust flavor than anything else on the menu. If you like Kansas City Style sauce which is sweet and like a bit of raw onion topping with some bite to it, Mcrib can be a pleasing alternative to a quarter pounder. Considering that everything else on the menu is pretty bland, it's a nice change. well, it is a change. They put enough sauce on it so it's messy to eat.

One thing about McDonalds, and i have to admire their genious about this: they took a menu item that wasn't selling well enough to keep it on the menu and introduced "scarcity." What a concept! Suddenly everyone wants one, or two!

Dee is right...the McRib is the only thing on the menu with any flavor.

+2.

When McRib first came out, I was in heaven. I'd get 2 of them at a time, but they were a bit pricey. Over the years, I think the quality (texture pr taste) has declined a bit, and I am not as crazy about them. Still, the rest of the menu is gross - although I still go through their drive-through.

Anyone try the double-cheeseburger? The bread and cheese are good, but the meat..... blech! (But I still get them here and there). I had heard they inject grease into meat at BK. Well, if you take a bite of one of McDonald's "regular" burgers (not Angus), and let the bite of patty kind of swish around in your mouth, you will know they inject grease into those patties. That is the test for realizing just how bad it is.

Dee is right...the McRib is the only thing on the menu with any flavor.

+2.

When McRib first came out, I was in heaven. I'd get 2 of them at a time, but they were a bit pricey. Over the years, I think the quality (texture pr taste) has declined a bit, and I am not as crazy about them. Still, the rest of the menu is gross - although I still go through their drive-through.

Anyone try the double-cheeseburger? The bread and cheese are good, but the meat..... blech! (But I still get them here and there). I had heard they inject grease into meat at BK. Well, if you take a bite of one of McDonald's "regular" burgers (not Angus), and let the bite of patty kind of swish around in your mouth, you will know they inject grease into those patties. That is the test for realizing just how bad it is.

So does a 3 star (highest you can get) michellen chef

http://vimeo.com/28030554

The program was called in persuit of perfection - burger

• Moderators

I did try it once but never again after reading the ingredients. [+o(]

"restructured meat product" contains a mixture of tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, which is then mixed with salt and water to extract proteins from the muscle. The proteins bind all the pork trimmings together so that it can be re-molded into any specific shape

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/11-amazing-facts-about-the-mcdonald-s-mcrib-170212930.html

• Moderators

If you want a good burger, go to a local bar

Or on a ship, Guy's burger's, and they are very good. This one had an onion ring and some kind of sauce, it was just a quick pic before it disappeared. I was really surprised how good it was, it was not my only one that week.

post-11804-13819826410328_thumb.jpg

Jay,

Thanks for the link. the vid is really interesting pursuit of perfection with the burger.

Would be great fun to check out the Louis place in NH, too.

It was one of six different shows where he tries to make the best of such. He supposedly is the founder of sous vide or cooking with low heat (130 degrees water for 12 hours)

If you want a good burger, go to a local bar

Or on a ship, Guy's burger's, and they are very good. This one had an onion ring and some kind of sauce, it was just a quick pic before it disappeared. I was really surprised how good it was, it was not my only one that week.

Whataburger?

The burgers served up at my "local bar" are an abomination at best. Not worthy of eating much less a picture.

On the flip side the beer is cold and the company good. I visit there when I have the coin to toss back a couple of cold ones.

That is surprising. Some (many) local bars stink, but many have really good food, especially burgers.