USED VEHICLE ADVICE

BigStewMan

Hey Guys....in the early stages of getting a vehicle. Going to get something used--would appreciate any experience you've had with either of the vehicles that i've narrowed it down to:

Range Rover HSE or Porsche Boxter (may be time for another convertible). Interested in 2006-2011 range. A couple of people told me that the Range Rovers are notorious for constanting being in the shop. Haven't heard anyone say anything bad about the Boxster.

I'll admit, my first choice is the Range Rover; but, if mechanical breakdown is a regularity, i could go Boxster without any regret.

Any thoughtS?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boxster is a good car, and you would look good in it. I'd get one over a rover any day, unless I were always climbing a mountain to get to my chalet. Just did the used and new car shopping thing myself, ended up with a 3 series wagon (used) but the boxster was tempting. Drive it, get it inspected by a good porsche mechanic, and decide. Oh, also pronounce porsche correctly---in case you don't already:

http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa020401b.htm

My Sister-N-Law has a late model LR3. Oh my gosh, that thing has been a huge pain in the A$$!!! Don't even try asking somebody other than LR to work on it either. Always something wrong with it. Even the tires are specific to that machine and are like $300 each. My wife has an 05 Chevy Tahoe, my Sis-N-Law should get one. It's got 160K miles and never had it worked on.

The Boxter: Don't know squat about that one.

What's wrong with you people out there, ya'll don't drive trucks?

Orrville_conversion_1957_Chevy_crew_cab_

How about a nice Made In The USA vehicle? I've always owned Ford vehicles and one Volvo XC70 (because it was my wife's dream car and Ford owned them at the time). Not a bad car but excruciatingly boring. I traded that in for a new Lincoln MKS and it is one fine automobile.

How about a nice Made In The USA vehicle? I've always owned Ford vehicles and one Volvo XC70 (because it was my wife's dream car and Ford owned them at the time). Not a bad car but excruciatingly boring. I traded that in for a new Lincoln MKS and it is one fine automobile.

Problem is what is made in the USA now? The Focus ST that I am going to get is made in Michigan but was designed in Europe and most of the parts come from Mexico and Canada. A Honda Accord and Toyota Camry are made in Ohio or Tennesse respectively. BMW makes some of their cars in South Carolina and some Mercedes in Alabama. Hyundai is in Indiana I believe.

be careful with the boxter. if you notice...there's a flood of them for sale with approaching mileage in increments of 15K. There a problem with engine bearings that shows up like clock work every 15 to 16 k miles. 8 grand to fix.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/13-ENGINE-Common_Engine_Failures/13-ENGINE-Common_Engine_Failures.htm

I drove a Miata for maybe 10 years...fun car to drive. Had 120K miles on it before I put the first brake pads on. (living 25 miles 1 way from work with little need to stop meant I drove more than I was braking)

I was zipping down the highway at 60 mph and some BLACK clouds were ahead of me. Road work prevented me from pulling over and the rain was just about to start. I slowed down to about 40/50 mph, reached back with one hand & grabbed the top & pulled it up (yes, while going down the highway, the rear window was unzipped in case you didn't know about the window)

Pulled the top up, latched it and again, while motoring down the road, zipped the window shut. If the person behind me blinked 2-3 times they would have missed the entire process, seeing a top down car in front of them one moment and the next moment, the top closed.

Absolute blast of a car to drive and stone reliable (in my circumstance)

Just throwing ideas out there for ya. That said, I'd go Boxter.

Stay away from Rover, Jaguar or any other Brit vehicle. All you will have is headache after headache to deal with if you don't! BMW found this out the hard way when they bought Rover Industries! No matter how hard or what they tried, they could NOT get the quality control issues at Rover nailed down! It seemed that each vehicle had something different wrong with it...constant hassles! The ONLY division of BMW that LOST MONEY was Rover! Why did it lose money? Because of warranty issues and public faith in the quality of the product! Ford obviously didn't learn much from their similar Jaguar experience and BMW jumped at the chance to get rid of Rover when Ford wanted to buy it! So, now, Ford has TWO millstones around its neck!

I don't know anything about the Boxter, but a bicycle with no tires is a better investment than a Rover!

-Andy

Stay away from Rover, Jaguar or any other Brit vehicle. All you will have is headache after headache to deal with if you don't! BMW found this out the hard way when they bought Rover Industries! No matter how hard or what they tried, they could NOT get the quality control issues at Rover nailed down! It seemed that each vehicle had something different wrong with it...constant hassles! The ONLY division of BMW that LOST MONEY was Rover! Why did it lose money? Because of warranty issues and public faith in the quality of the product! Ford obviously didn't learn much from their similar Jaguar experience and BMW jumped at the chance to get rid of Rover when Ford wanted to buy it! So, now, Ford has TWO millstones around its neck!

I don't know anything about the Boxter, but a bicycle with no tires is a better investment than a Rover!

-Andy

Ford during the credit crunch sold off Aston Martin, Range Rover, Jaguar, Volvo. Actually BMW did nothing to improve quality when they owned it as they only implemented their engines without a complete factory change. Ford completely modernized each facility to state of the art, Aston Martins till the early 2000 were still hand stamped versus the aluminum hydroforming they are doing now. Jaguars are one of the only cars to have an all alluminum body. They are not bad cars currently but they still use the 4.6 V8 from BMW and that is where they are having the problems.

Problem is what is made in the USA now?

Come on really? What North American model car is assembled and built in a foreign country, then shipped to our borders.....? Not one.

What are you talking about. Nissan, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai all have plants in North America but do you really consider them made in America when >51% of the parts are preassembled in Stutgart or Japan?

I hate to ask this, but why a Range Rover or a Porsche Boxter? Those two vehicles have absolutely nothing at all in common.

If you are going to be driving in bad weather or off road, get the Range Rover. If you will be commuting in mild climate areas most the time, and you are not overweight, get the Boxter.

I can say this, I have bought, and own a lot of cars and trucks. Every vehicle is better at something.

If you want a vehicle for all seasons that has some solid engineering, you could look at the Audi's and 4matic mercedes. Lot's of people are afraid of VW and Audi. I am not. I have learned how to work on them, and have grown to love them.

If I were going to get an off road vehicle, I would buy a Jeep Wrangler. I bought one this summer, and love the thing. I can't exactly say why, but the thing rocks. The more I drive it, the more I like it.

I currently have 2-4wd pickups, 2 sport car convertibles, 2 mid-60's mscle cars, a mid 60's convertible, a late model jeep, a large 4wd SUV, 2- fwd sedan, a harley, and an awd sedan. None of them does everything well. The Jeep definitely comes closest.

I hate to ask this, but why a Range Rover or a Porsche Boxter?

it's either one of those or a Bentley--and if i get the bentley then i have to stop buying guitars. [:D] Actually, those are just two vehicles that i like--and what i like is the driving force behind my decision. Have a truck now, have had numerous trucks. Have had a few convertibles too. LIve at the beach--no more off-roading. love the look of the range rover and the boxter. i realize that every make/model has a few lemons; was just wondering if there were any red flags about either that shouldn't be overlooked.