USED VEHICLE ADVICE

BigStewMan

The last car I did one on had both a timing belt and a timing chain. It was the 2.0 liter VW BPY motor from an 06 Passat 2.0T with 85,000 miles. The belt is the primary driving the exhaust cam, and the chain is at the other end of that cam connecting the intake cam. As it turns out, the chain (or possibly the tensioner) failed, not the belt. I expect it was due to regular servicing of the belt and not the chain. Frankly, the chain is easier to get to! Although the head was not a complete loss, the cost of repairs in parts was $4,000. I bought the car for $2,000, so I did OK, and my son is now driving it daily to school.

and yes, I did pull the motor to change them. [:)]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after going back & forth with three different vehicles, today i purchased a BMW528i. It's a very nice ride. Nearly went for a Porsche Cayman; but, they sold the one that i had my eye on. Flirted with a Mercedes SLK300; but, couldn't get the deal to my exact liking. I'm satisfied with the BMW--okay, it's only been three hours; but, it's been a real good three hours. Thanks for all the advice, you all gave me stuff to think about. If anyone recommended the BMW--you win. Next year's Klipsch forum membership is free for you. Steve

after going back & forth with three different vehicles, today i purchased a BMW528i. It's a very nice ride. Nearly went for a Porsche Cayman; but, they sold the one that i had my eye on. Flirted with a Mercedes SLK300; but, couldn't get the deal to my exact liking. I'm satisfied with the BMW--okay, it's only been three hours; but, it's been a real good three hours. Thanks for all the advice, you all gave me stuff to think about. If anyone recommended the BMW--you win. Next year's Klipsch forum membership is free for you. Steve

Congrats! I have an 02 BMW M3 convertible, and love it. I just bought it last month. It is well engineered, and tough as nails. Today I bought a Chilton repair manual for $24. That floored me. The manual I had to buy last year for a VW Passat cost me $150. I ordered OEM M3 floor mats, since the one was missing, and the others were raggy, and only paid $140. So far I have found that this car is a head turner, super fast, handles great, it tough, not too expensive to own (except the high test gas), and most importantly fun to drive.

Congratulations on the new "Bimmer"....Automobile...BigStewMan!!!

Thank you Audio. And Mustang Guy, i hope i don't embarrass the BMW Brigade. Expensive day, as a new guitar is coming too...unique opportunity and one i can't pass up...weird that this all happened on the same day. Steve

The 528i was a great choice! Find a good local independant BMW mechanic and they are no more expensive to maintain than a Toyota Corrola. Go to the BMW forum, http://www.bimmerforums.com/, and you will find a wealth of information regarding your 528i as well as good local mechanics in your area (references from other BMW owners). As mustang Guy stated, they are tough as nails. For parts and accessories a good place to start is http://www.bavauto.com/. Once again, good choice and good luck!.

Don't know how I missed this thread when it started. I own a Range Rover HSE and it is a real nightmare. The irony is that my 2004 Range Rover HSE was built by BMW with a 4.4 liter BMW engine (the same motor used in their 740). That said over the years, I have owned and enjoyed many BMW vehicles without experiencing too many problems. Why a BMW built Range Rover is such a mess I cannot say. Every BMW I have owned came with a neat set of tools rather implying that they might be needed on occasion. Never once did I use any of them. Yet I keep a host of tools in my Range Rover and I keep them handy. I carry coolant, 5 gallons of water, duct tape, hose clamps a full set of metric socket wrenches, various pliers and screwdrivers and of course jumper cables. Something in the vehicle just eats up battery power. Don't drive it for a week and it will require a charging just to start. BMW dealer servicing may have been expensive but it was done properly. Range Rover dealers run sabotage garage's along with highway robbery. IMHO nobody should buy any year or any model of Range Rover unless it comes with a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty and a lifetime of free towing. There are many good reasons why you need to be royalty to own the product. If you take care of that 528i it should be a reliably fun vehicle. Good choice!