Just ordered the Oppo 105

j-malotky

Hi all my fellow audio geeks.

I ordered the oppo 105 this week. I have been plaged with problems trying to get a newer BD player to work with my 4 year old 1080P projector. The first player of the same generation worked fine, but got slower and slower until it was unusable. I replaced that unit with a Sony which worked great up until one software upgrade a year ago, after that I had ladder looking graphics all over the screen. I thought maybe it was becasue it was a 3D player, so I bought a newer sony 2D only player which is better, but still not as good as my other devices. I think I am fighting 3D and newer 1.4 HDMI issues on my older projector. I need something I can force to output 1080P and 60 hz. So my choices were to go back to a HTPC or the Oppo. I was looking at the 93 and 103 until my focus shifted after reading about the Audio processing of the 95 and 105. I am still running a 1999 Lexicon Mc-1 that has the latest available bios upgrades. I also paid Sean to install the 8 channel bypass which I tried with my first BD player. The uncompressed sound was very clean, but the Lexicon did a much better job of making the speakers disappear giving a fuller sound scape. I plan to run the Oppo using the 8 channel bypass that Sean installed for me, having the Oppo processor do all the surround sound. I am hoping the Oppo sounds as good as the Lexicon, but will have to wait and see. I still can use the Lexicon DD and DTS Logic 7 for standard movies, but am looking forward to the uncompressed sound on Concert BD disks where even DTS can sound like fingernails on a chalkboard on the McIntosh powered all Heritage HT.

It should come the week between Christmas and New Years. I will let you know how well it works.

JM

I got the OPPO 105 up and running last night. Did some comparisons between the uncompressed Audio and old school bitstreaming. The uncompressed audio sounds great on my 7.1 Heritage system. The last time I tried this on my first samsung bluray it was an epic fail. The uncompressed bypass was cleaner sounding but I could hear the sound from each speaker. I wanted the speakers to disappear like they did on my Lexicon Logic7 so I was very unhappy with it and just continued to watch blurays bitstreaming the DTS to the Lexicon. It is nice that the oppo has a real processor in it. I am extremely happy with it. I should have probably purchased the OPPO 95 years ago. The wife even noticed the difference.

The OPPO 105 is really a bargain since now I don't need up upgrade to a newer Lexicon MC-12-HD processor.

The DVD upconverting looks better than my old HTPC.

Like I said, I am extremely happy with the 105 :)

JM

I should have probably purchased the OPPO 95 years ago.

Oppo was not around 95 years ago, heck neither was TV.[;)][:D]

I am glad you are pleased with the Oppo 105, I too have considered the Oppo 95 and may just pick up one once one reaches my price point. The oppo 83 has been a wonderful player so I know the 2nd and 3rd generation Oppo BD players are that much better.

Enjoy,

Bill

couple questions because i'm clueless on these players.

#1-are you guys ordering these from the oppo website ? i only want to buy them new.

#2-the 103 is more in my price range because i'm probaly going to need 2 of them.

#3- the difference in price from the 103 to the 105 is quite alot. will i be happy with the 103 my wife and her mother watch movies/series on blu-ray most every night she lives a block away and is 80 years old. thanks for any help

#1-are you guys ordering these from the oppo website ? i only want to buy them new.

#2-the 103 is more in my price range because i'm probaly going to need 2 of them.

#3- the difference in price from the 103 to the 105 is quite alot. will i be happy with the 103 my wife and her mother watch movies/series on blu-ray most every night she lives a block away and is 80 years old. thanks for any help

I got mine from oppo but amazon probably would be just as good. I didn't really look at the 105 that much because its out of my price range but the 103 is really nice and I would guess it would handle everything your wife or mom would ever need.

I ordered mine from Amazon. It came right from Oppo.

The 103 and the 105 have the same Video capabilities. If you have a receiver or processor that takes the Audio signal via HDMI, then the 103 is your best choice. The 105 is much more expensive becasue it has its own Audio Processor built in. This was the best choice for me becasue I have a very old Lexicon MC-1 Processor that is pre HDMI. Years ago I paid Sean to install his 8 channel bypass into my Lexicon so I could listen to uncompressed Audio.

So to summerize, Both the 103 and the 105 will give you the same Video capability. If you have the ability to get your uncompressed Audio via HDMI, or if you plan to only listen via Coax or Toslink, then the cheaper 103 is your player. If you need the added Audio processing for uncompressed Audio, then the more expensive 105 if what you want.

JM

Since you guys know all about this, I'll ask a question. I've been considering (for a while now) upgrading from my 5-7 year old Panasonic dvd player to Bluray, and I've decided the player will be an Oppo. I'm pretty sure I can get by with an 83, but I'm not sure. Price is a big concern, and my wish is for a region-free player, good (not necessarily the best) audio, going into an old Denon 3300. Would the 83 suit my needs? I have a cheap LG LED tv, a year old. Oh, and 3D is not desired.

Since you guys know all about this, I'll ask a question. I've been considering (for a while now) upgrading from my 5-7 year old Panasonic dvd player to Bluray, and I've decided the player will be an Oppo. I'm pretty sure I can get by with an 83, but I'm not sure. Price is a big concern, and my wish is for a region-free player, good (not necessarily the best) audio, going into an old Denon 3300. Would the 83 suit my needs? I have a cheap LG LED tv, a year old. Oh, and 3D is not desired.

Fini,

An Oppo BDP-83 will meet your needs from what you have described.

I have been very pleased with my 83 and it has been 100% trouble free. I bought it used a little over a year ago.

Used prices for the BDP-83 range from about $250.00 to $325.00.

A1uc's price on his used BDP-93 seems very fair considering his still has the ISO playback capability.

Maybe we could all three work out a deal and I sell you my 83 and I buy his 93.[^o)]

Bill

For me the 105 was worth every penny for the sound quality of the two channel outputs alone. The USB DAC was a bonus as I was planning on replacing my 5 year old DAC anyway and this one is great. I run an analog preamp with HT bypass and the difference between the analog out of the OPPO and HDMI out played through my Integra Preamp/processor is pretty significant. You need the right setup to take advantage of the 105 but once you have it the $700 extra is money well spent. It would even be hard to beat for the price if only used as a simple CD player in a nice system. For watching movies there is absolutely no difference between my new 105 and my old 83 as far as I can tell. If I did not put music as the priority in my system I could be happy with even a cheap bluray player.

For me the 105 was worth every penny for the sound quality of the two channel outputs alone. .

Good Point... I hooked my 2 CH output to my McIntosh 2CH Preamp last night and was blown away by the sound quality. Like you said, the USB, HDMI as well as the older SPDIF inputs lets you run anything through this processor. The 105 can also connect to any server or NAS on your home network. I was streaming high def audio files right off my server to my 105. I am very very happy with this box.

JM