need sub advise plz

hugeroost

hey guys, I just hooked my heresy"s back up in my shop ( garage ) I had forgotten how bass shy they were, I built a shelf for them at about chest high, thought they would sound better then on the floor. They need help though. I need a sub, klipsch. I have found a SW 12 ll thats a front firing with a 12 in passive, and a RT 12 thats a corner shape. Those are just two i"ve come across on ebay. I have never even looked at subs before so can someone give me a few models to be on the lookout for. I am looking to spend 300 or so, i"m thinking in the used market i should be able to get a pretty good one for that. Pushing this stuff with an Onkyo M-5030 super servo, should be plenty of muscle. Thanks, Roost

Yes, Heresy's need a sub, especially now that they're off the floor. Most $300 dollar subs won't keep up with the Heresy's once you start to push them. I realize that I'm painting with a fairly broad brush. I'd look for a sub that trades depth for SPL like a PA/DJ type sub. Stay away from HT subs in that application.

If you found a rt-12d for 300 let me know I will take that bad boy for my home theater! But you are right about them being bass shy. I was running a sealed velodyne optimum 8 and its awesome at low to moderate volumes but much higher and the sub runs out of steam and can't keep up. I am on the lookout for a good sealed 10-12" sub for a descent price. But I would say sealed for sure and like cecca said home theater subs just aren't fast enough for the heresys

But I would say sealed for sure and like cecca said home theater subs just aren't fast enough for the heresys

If that's how it read, that's not how I meant it. Let me clarify. When you design a sub, you need to consider the application it will be used. HT subs need to go low. In designing that type of sub, you trade some output for extension. A music sub doesn't need as much extension (doesn't need to go as low) as a HT sub. They sacrifice extension for output. Heresy's need a sub with a lot of output to keep up with them. That's why I recomended a Pro/DJ/PA type sub. They're designed for output first, extension second.

those are cool for sure, but i"m along way from michigan. I"m looking for music only, in my garage, no ht, or tv or anything like that, to go with my heresy"s. I went to ebay and typed in klipsch subwoofer and six million came up, I dont know the diff in a HT sub and a just music sub. Need some models on some I can look for, I want a pretty good one, one that maybe msrp"d for 500 - 800 new, thanks, Roost