MWM setup question

Coytee

Ingredients on hand: One pair of MWM singles, one pair of Peavey MB-1 midbass units, one pair of Danley DTS-10's, one pair of K402's w/K69

Currently, Jubilee's are set in living room (in apartment). Every now & then I get the urge to pull the Jubilee's out and swap with the MWM's for nothing more than kicks & grins. Doing so will chew up some floor space so that is a valid reason for not doing it but...I keep getting the urge.

So, when I'm thinking about it (like right now), I wonder how to best set it up. Double MWM bass bin in mono mode? Split the singles into stereo and go from there? I can do whatever I want.

Then I thought about going radical

Split the MWM bass bins into stereo units, a single bin in each corner. On top of the MWM bins, take the Danley DTS-10's, lay them down so their mouth is pointing into the room. On top of the Danley's, set the Peavy MB-1's and on top of the Peavy's, set the K402/69. Have a 4 way stack with the subwoofer part of the stack. (instead of behind them, pushing the stack further into the room)

Clearly this is overkill for a house, not to mention an apartment so I'll probably not do it but... if I do, it will be for messing around.

So, if you have those ingredients at your disposal, what combo might you suggest would give best results? As a side note, I have enough channels of amplification to do it and I could dedicate a Dx-38 to each stack. Meaning, I've got everything I need to make it happen.

• Moderators

Split the MWM bass bins into stereo units, a single bin in each corner. On top of the MWM bins, take the Danley DTS-10's, lay them down so their mouth is pointing into the room. On top of the Danley's, set the Peavy MB-1's and on top of the Peavy's, set the K402/69. Have a 4 way stack with the subwoofer part of the stack.

That's what I would do, but what's better, the Danley under the MWM or on top of it ?

A single does pretty good on each side, once adjusted that should sound shocking.

I was thinking on top because of the shear size of the MWM's (as though the Danley's are dainty wimps)

Really though, my thoughts came from simply stacking large to small.

When I first moved into this place, I actually tried to set the MWM's up as the mains. What I seem to recall is, I didn't tuck them into the corners but instead, flaired them outwards so they'd fire straight into the room. Doing that, they actually hit in the middle of the room. The room is about 12' wide and the MWM's are something like 6' wide (general guesses) so they hit IF squared to the room. This gives me precious little space in the center for my LaScala (also used as TV stand).

If I push them into the corner, I don't know how much space I'd have for the LaScala. That's one of the reasons I haven't done this yet. I actually started one day and realized that wrestling those MWM's alone isn't fun...especially if I don't KNOW it will all fit. I don't want to go through all the un-doing that I'd have to do, wrestle the MWM's out of the spare bedroom, only to find I have to put everything back to original so the LaScala will fit.

Maybe I should make the MWM's a bedroom setup? Make a heck of an alarm clock for that favorite company that you can't wait to have leave......

[A]

Go to your local home center and pickup a roll of rosin
paper (Hardwood Flooring underlayment paper) and a roll
of masking tape. Tape a couple of lengths together so that you can draw out the
shape of the MWM bass bin on it. Fold or cut it to shape (make two if you want
to) and than move that into the room, saves a lot of back ache and dings in the
speakers when they are just a bit to big for the hall way. The Trapezoid
is 68 inches across the front and 32 across the back, 44 1/2 inches in depth.
Rocket science is easy when you have rockets to look at (smile).

post-42841-13819826692486_thumb.jpg

Well Gary, that's an excellent idea!

I might still be too lazy to do the cutout idea (in lieu of simply grunting them around). I don't care if I ding up the MWM's, they're already dinged up which is why I got them both for $250 total (in working condition, fiberglass, trim and handles)

This weekend I'm going to try to get the baffles for the VMR's done. Try those on the Jubilee's for awhile (EV VMR mated with ST-350)

I'm pretty convinced I won't have room for my LaScala sitting as is in the room. I however, don't cave in to asthetic concerns AND the LaScala is currently empty of all drivers. It's only being used as a stand for my 53 (or whatever size) inch tv.

If the MWM's converge in the center of the room leaving zero space for the LaScala, I'd be more than willing to toss the LaScala on its side on top of the two MWM corners and try it that way.

My wife wishes I was more concerned with asthetics.

[:D]

• Moderators

Tape a couple of lengths together so that you can draw out the
shape of the MWM bass bin on it. Fold or cut it to shape (make two if you want
to) and than move that into the room,

When my wife and daughter wanted the MWM's that's exactly what I did to show her the size just to make sure before i built them.

She looked at the paper on the floor and said that's what we want, she loves them. And surprisingly has put nothing on any of the shelves, and does not want any grill cloth on them or the 402's, she likes the horn look. [Y]

It would be really handy if they fit in the corner better than they do.

• 3 weeks later...