Changing / modifying stain color

USNRET

My center Belle had new veneer applied (Santos Rosewood) but unfortunately it turned out a much different color than the left and right. The left and right are perfectly matched (although it doesn't appear so in this lighting). I am afraid that the center will have to have new veneer applied in order to get a match. Any thoughts on "fixing" this? BTW, I have new black grill cloth so when I fiqure out the stain I'll pulll a few staples.

You could just paint it black?

You could chemical strip and stain to match?

Sure hate to paint that much $$ veneer black (I could have done that when it was OO). I figured that any chemical good enuff to remove the stain would remove the glue but I'm willing to listen to reason.

That was a big concern when I was working on that center cabinet...There is no stain applied, only oil finish, that is just the difference in character of sheets. To lighten the tone of the wood we can use oxalic acid, which will lighten the natural tone of the rosewood on the center, or use stain to darken the L-R cabinets.

This is a pic of a sample from the center veneer (on the left) and a sample of the old veneer that I used to help select the sheet for the center.

PS: That set up looks good

post-46049-13819826685322_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

After looking at the photo very closely, if the front section between the grills was lightened it would make all the difference. From the front all the edge banding, bass bin riser, and tophat riser look the same. Email me when you get a chance...

• Like 1

Sure hate to paint that much $$ veneer black (I could have done that when it was OO). I figured that any chemical good enuff to remove the stain would remove the glue but I'm willing to listen to reason.

It's not like your putting it on with a fire hose. It goes on with a brush and wipes off with a cotton towel. One sections at a time then stain to match then clear coat.

Here is some of my work: http://s981.beta.photobucket.com/user/wrench722/library/Center%20Speaker take a look at the H-horns and some of the furniture. I know a little about wood, but still learning. (-;

It's not like your putting it on with a fire hose. It goes on with a brush and wipes off with a cotton towel. One sections at a time then stain to match then clear coat.

Here is some of my work: http://s981.beta.photobucket.com/user/wrench722/library/Center%20Speaker take a look at the H-horns and some of the furniture. I know a little about wood, but still learning. (-;

Looks nice Wrench, I'll get back with you concerning chemicals after the 1st; we're departing for Grandma's house up near Texarkana. Ya'll have a nice holiday.

You could always "age" your center Belle with UV rays to better match your main Belles. Or for that matter, "age" your mains to match your center.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/89066/Does-Rosewood-lighten-as-it-ages#.UN7mXKzjBc0

After my good friend Jeff Hoak reveneered my Revel B15 subwoofer with natural cherry, I applied several coats of Minwax poly clear coat. Even with several layers of Minwax, the cherry finish was still not as dark as my cherry RC-64. I then brought the B15 back outside on the porch and sat each side facing the sun for 45 minute increments. Voila', from a pinkish hue to a reddish goldenish(probably not a word) suntan. Not a perfect match but much closer than before.

Bill