painted 511b horns

tofu

Nice, any particular reason you went with red. Maybe its your favorite color maybe you just really like firetrucks. How do these sound on you Lascalas, what crossovers are you using.

Thanks

Well, my friend who owns a bodyshop painted them for me. The only cars that really come in are white, black, red, and silver, so I figured red would look interesting against the brown and gray tones of the room. I guess it's a nice focal piece.

They sound much nicer than the stock squawker combo to my ears. I'm using them with the ALK universal network, but in retrospect I should have put the $ toward a steep slope active crossover. I put it together according to Al's schematics before he offered a DIY kit, which is why my networks are on an ugly piece of MDF ;)

-Christopher

Before I had them painted, I was considering experimenting and coating the horns in plastidip. It's basically a spray on rubber coating for those not familliar with it. It's peelable and removable, and comes in every color imagineable. The finish is smooth and matte.

It seems it would dampen the horns quite a bit. May sound great or may sound horrible...

Before I had them painted, I was considering experimenting and coating the horns in plastidip. It's basically a spray on rubber coating for those not familliar with it. It's peelable and removable, and comes in every color imagineable. The finish is smooth and matte.

It seems it would dampen the horns quite a bit. May sound great or may sound horrible...

If you are not mounting them tightly in a box, or maybe even if you do, you should consider using something similar such as undercoat or dampening spray on the outsides of the horn (of course where you can't see. The bell (mouth) especially. If they don't go "ting" when you rap them sharply with a hard object, you are done.

Man I guess I shouldn't drink while typing. Tofu, are those bass traps in the corner how did you go about making them (if you did), and how did they help with the sound.

Yes, they're bass traps. Well, in a technical sense they're broadband absorbers since i did not put any reflective material on them. I build them out of metal drywall corner beads (as frames) and roxul rockboard 40. They're 4" thick and straddle the corners of the walls (wall-wall, ceiling-wall).

I made tem based on this tutorial: http://www.radford.edu/~shelm/acoustics/bass-traps.html but took the time to make them much neater and presentable. Same general idea, though. corner beads and rivets.

In short, let me just say they helped the sound more than any amp, dac, subwoofer, or speaker component upgrade i have ever done. The room could use more treatment for early reflection points, but I will wait until spring/summer for that.

-Christopher