What's the best setup?

mustang guy

My son got his KG-2.5's stolen, so I gave him a set of RB-81 II's for Christmas. He is going to use them in his dorm until summer school, then in his apartment. With his listening preferences, he is going to need a sub, and he plays his music almost exclusively from his iPhone 4G. I am having a mental block. I figure Apple Airplay is the way to go for sending music, but what simple device is going to have AirPlay, 150WPC or so and a sub output? He is a poor college student, so we have to keep costs to a minimum.

Ideas?

Why can't he go straight from his iPhone to a receiver?

Makes sence. Like I was saying, for some reason I am suffering from mental blocks. I will look for a last year's model on sale somewhere.

Any recomendations? I'd rather buy something with a good quality receiver that is a bit older, as he would be using the headphone jack to play from.

I will look for a last year's model on sale somewhere.

Any recomendations? I'd rather buy something with a good quality receiver that is a bit older, as he would be using the headphone jack to play from.

How much to spend? Are you looking at a 2-channel receiver, integrated amp, or multichannel AVR?

Bill

The problem with the older stuff is that they don't have subwoofer outputs. If you go that route, you'll need a sub plate amp that accepts speaker level inputs.

The problem with the older stuff is that they don't have subwoofer outputs. If you go that route, you'll need a sub plate amp that accepts speaker level inputs.

how much older are you talking about? anything decent over the past 7 years will have all the in/outs you/he would need for a basic system. a higher level older receiver will handle a zone 2 (like mine) with ease. the main benefit for new receivers are the HDMI handling and other wireless options.

I got the Apple airport express to stream (lossless) from my iphone to my receiver via Itunes or Pandora, etc and the PUREi20 dock for docked streaming (sounds amazing!) Basically the same as a new receiver will do but I spent $90 on the express vs $$$ on a new comperable receiver.

food for thought!

but I would look at CL for some used receivers that are 10 - 5 years old. I have seen some $3000+ Denon receivers go for $200....!

i will say if you want HDMI handling then you should go with something 2 years or NEWER due to the recent changes and improvememnts. No care for HDMI? then save money and look used and good luck~!

how much older are you talking about? anything decent over the past 7 years will have all the in/outs you/he would need for a basic system. a higher level older receiver will handle a zone 2 (like mine) with ease. the main benefit for new receivers are the HDMI handling and other wireless options.

I got the Apple airport express to stream (lossless) from my iphone to my receiver via Itunes or Pandora, etc and the PUREi20 dock for docked streaming (sounds amazing!) Basically the same as a new receiver will do but I spent $90 on the express vs $$$ on a new comperable receiver.

food for thought!

but I would look at CL for some used receivers that are 10 - 5 years old. I have seen some $3000+ Denon receivers go for $200....!

i will say if you want HDMI handling then you should go with something 2 years or NEWER due to the recent changes and improvememnts. No care for HDMI? then save money and look used and good luck~!

Thanks for the clarity everyone. I like where you are going with the airport express the most, as my son uses his phone to text and other things and that is hard to do while docked. Using a headphone to RCA cord, he could push his music into the express' DAC, which would then play out to the amp or receiver.

Too bad the airport express doesn't have a sub out. I have found that using the variable crossover on plate amps is not nearly as clean as allowing the DAC to do the work as in an AVR. Not to mention that those crossover dials are usually only LPF's and have no effect (HPF) on the speakers. A good recipe for acoustical mud.

I am still not completely sold on any one thing yet. He doesn't go back to school until the 14th, so I have plenty of time...