Tung oil

laager

If you want the veneer sealed, then tung oil is the way to go. Using the versions in Home Depot straight with #0000 steel wool works very well. Make sure you get back to wiping off the excess and buffing in a short amount of time - then letting dry. Several times will give a nice deep sheen.

Once done and hardened, lemon oil, liquid gold, or other oils (teak oil for one) can be used to enhance the look.

mineral spirits or naptha work very well. If you buy polymerized toung oil (boiled) it sets up much faster than raw. Take a look here. Toung oil is the hardest most durable and yet most flexible (surface finish) air drying oil there is. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.woodworkdetails.com/knowledge/finishing/tung-oil

• Moderators

Forgot to add that I didn't dilute it. I used a soft cotton cloth to apply it. I re-applied a second coat 24 hours later as directed and then buffed with a clean cloth.

That's what I did also, where I read it said dilute with mineral spirits but for things like wooden kids toys or things in the kitchen use it straight, so i didn't dilute.

Taste terrible, use a cloth. [:P]

Guys: something which has not been mentioned which needs to be. These oils are what are know as "air drying oils" They dry by oxidation with air. So you have to be very careful with rags soaked with air drying oils when you dispose them as they can ignite if give half a chance. When you done with a rag soaked with these oils DO NOT leave them in a squeezed up bunch and DO NOT throw them in the trash. Squeeze out all the oil that you can and either hang them so they can cool or lay then on a concreat floor. Crumpled in a ball they can reach ignition trmperature in a very short period of time. Please be safe I have seen fires started this way. Best regards Moray James.

PS: if you want to store a soaked rag for use later place then in a zip lock bag a store it in the freezer, the rag and oil will stay fresh and be ready to use when you need it. Please note the above warning covers all air drying oils like linseed oil and oil wiping stains . Be safe.

• Moderators

Well I have to say I have tried to get them to spontaneously light and couldn't, BUT I bet if i just threw them in the garbage can and I forgot about them they would probably light when I least expected. It's just the way things work sometimes.

But it is true, in the right conditions.

I did get the joke, just kind of hard to explain

The garbage is normally where these thing do ignite and they then have plenty of fule to get a good fire burning. The tighter they are crumpled up the hotter they get and that faster they get hot as that traps and contains the heat generated by the oxidation and that then speeds up the oxidation process. That's the reason for hanging them up like a wash cloth to dry this provides lots of surface area to loose heat from the oil as it oxidizes. Years ago in a wood shop that I was working in I saw a finishing cloth balled up sitting on top of a garbage bin full of sawdut and cuttings. I figured it was not safe and I picked it up to remove it. The thing was so hot I actually burned my hand. I figure it was just about ready to ignite. Nothing like hands on to make a lasting impression. Best regards Moray James.

sorry but I don't understand your comment? Do you think that I am kidding or making this stuff up? This is not car oil we are talking about but air drying oil they are not the same thing. Best regards Moray James.

If you speaking of my off hand jest, believe me, I take you very seriously. I always dispose any rags, paper towels, or anything with any kind of oil, solvent, or whatever in the wood stove in the shop in small amounts. I remember as a child, before I was 5 years when the grass from the lawn dad had boxed up in the garage caught fire. Over 52 years ago and I still remember. I do however like to laugh at myself with others. I certainly meant no offence moray. Just trying for a laugh is all.........[;)].......Taz

Thanks John: I have seen too many times people who simply do not understand and so do not believe in the danger of these air drying oils many of which are used in fence and deck stains (linseed oil for example) and they can be very dangerous and can cost lives. I don't take offence I simply wanted people to understand that this is for real. Most of the time when you mention spontaneous combustion people immediately think of spaceemen and ray guns and they laugh it off. I like to laugh too and I like to find the lighter side of a situation when I can, I only want to impress the seriousness. I appreciate you posting with your recollection of the fire in your garage when you were a youngster. Best regards Moray James.