Speed vs Quality

CIGARBUM

Just another dumb question. I am about to start recording my set of MFSL Beatles Collection. I have an Otari 5050ll that has the ability to record at 15ips, the question is, will it make a big difference in quality if you record at 71/2ips or 15ips. You have to keep in mind that I am halt deaf and wear 2 hearing aids which I have to remove when listening to music, just have to turn it up a bit. At 15ips it sure burns a bunch of tape, lucky if you can get one album per tape.

Can some of you guys give me a little insight in this.

Thanks

Cigarbum

Your best bet is probably try recording an album at both speeds and see if you can hear a big difference. The higher speed will definately be better sounding, but by how much vs. the amount of tape being used is going to be up to you. Personally, I would record at the higher speed.

I'm about to start recording my Beatle lp's onto CD's soon, and maybe onto cassette also. I sold my RTR, so I can't do that anymore.

when I had reels....the 15ips tapes sounded better longer. so good tapes might not make a clear difference between 7 1/2 and 15 initially, but after a few dozen plays, the differences become more apparent. and you def want to demag heads and metal tocuh points often.