Klipsch La Scalas for sale, Fastrac horns, Crites tweeters, JBL 2420 mids, LaScalas

Blvdre

Hi all

It's been a while since I've posted, reason being I have a three year old that keeps me busy. So busy, in fact, I haven't had any time to listen to my La Scalas (not since the little guy was born!).

I know this isn't the best time to sell, being that it's right after the holidays, but the debts are adding up so I want to get these posted.

I have a pair of La Scalas, finished raw birch, serial numbers 17S684 and 17S685. These have their original K 33 woofers (square magnets), but I've upgraded the mid and tweeter sections.

I have a pair of Dave's Fastrac horns and aluminum mounting plates (with the really nice transitions machined in). These are coupled to a pair of JBL 2420 CDs in 2470 cases. I swapped a pair of 2470s with a gentleman who was a long time JBL tech. He installed the aluminum 2420 diaphragms (in very good condition, BTW) in a pair of refurbished 2470 cases (repainted, gaps cleaned, foam replaced). The combination sounds wonderful, a big improvement over the original, IMO - YMMV.

The k 77 tweeters have been replaced by an original config Crites CT 125 tweeters. Smooth.

The crossover is close to a type A, except that the woofer/mid x-over point has been moved up to 500Hz. Seeing as how these are first order, probably not a huge difference from the originals, but there you have it. An additional cap has been added to the roll off the JBL up top.

The cabinets have their share of bumps and bruises, but nothing significant. The finish is old (finshed by original owner, I'm the second owner of these) and mellow.

New wiring and terminals throughout. I think that's about it.

I haven't taken extensive pics yet, trying to gauge interest before proceeding with the photos. If everyone's broke, there's no need I suppose ;)

Considering the extensive mods, my asking price is $1200. Very fair, considering there are more than $1000 in mods. At least, fair if you're looking for modded version (which sounds wonderful).

post-26908-1381982685452_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow Ron, those are awesome looking La Scala's. You put alot of thought and effort into those. Ron does meticulous work and is a real standup guy so if anyone is on the fence on these you need not worry a bit they are everything he says they are.

If I had the cash I would certainly pick them up. Unfortunately, I just had to replace my NAD T-163 A/V Pre/Pro a couple of months ago that crapped out on me, and spent my audio funds on an Emotiva UMC-1 to replace it.

I would love to replace my rear Walnut Lacquer Cornwalls with them and have an all La Scala system. If I get a gain sharing payout in the next few weeks I may be in contact with you, maybe to even discuss the upgrade portion of them.

Our system gets used everyday since it is HT and not 2-channel based.

Good luck with your sale!

Hey Chuck, good to hear from you - thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, I've put a lot of effort and $$ into these, and have enjoyed them, but I need to clear some debt and have some maintenance done on the house, so the Klipsch and my Vandersteens have to go (along with most of my vintage drums and cymbals).

I'll miss them for sure, but I'm sure I'll cook something up down the road when time and money permits. Little ones sure keep you busy, but it's the best kind of busy.

Hope you and yours are all doing well.

350 k is an easy drive and with a beautiful destination. I simply cannot believe that these did not go poof on day one. I am shaking my head at the human race or perhaps it's the human crawl. Best regards Moray James.

I hear you, Moray. It's bad enough I've let them sit around for a few years without being listened to and appreciated, but it's a crying shame that someone hasn't stepped forward to rescue these poor brutes.