Old Klipschorn Found - To Restore or Not?

iteched

Hi Everyone,

I've enjoyed a set of KLF-10s over the years but last night I took home an old Klipschorn (just one) speaker. It appears to be from 1956.

It does play but I don't have it connected it to a source yet as its VERY DIRTY and in need of serious TLC.

Please check out the pics and let me know if it is worth restoring. Some advice on care, maintenance, and what to look for would be helpful. Is there a way to test the crossover network components to see if they are still in "spec"?

Here are some pics links:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/052_zps5b5dbbb9.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/053_zps46df7ba1.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/056_zpsf0fb2971.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/iteched/Projects/054_zps7261be60.jpg

I do have the midrange section cover - other than old age its still intact with the grill cloth. It does feel very dry though...afraid it may not clean up well without breaking the cloth.

Thanks for any help.

Ed

Sorry about the format of the above post. It looks nice in the editor but when posted everything seems to be run together.

Your browser isn't inserting the "<p>" and "</p>" at the
beginning and end of paragraphs. You can insert these manually - even
retroactively using the "edit" command.

I'd recommend going to your profile, then select "edit your profile", then select the "site options" tab, then select another "Content editor" using the drop-down list. The default "TinyMCE - Standard" editor isn't as useful as enhanced or "XStandard" , IMHO.

Chris

iteched, welcome to the forum.

This Khorn would be very nice restored.

One thing, you can count on the capacitors having drifted off spec. The question would be what to do with the crossover. There is some merit to the idea of just leaving the crossover original. You could replace the caps, which would actually be needed for the right sound, but then you lose the cool factor of the original. One alternative would be to build a replacement crossover or have Bob Crites build one for use leaving the original alone and unmolested. If you should ever want to sell this sweetheart, the original crossover would be expected by most buyers, I'd think.

I'm not sure if the tweeter is original. At some point the Klipschorn became a three way and I'm not sure what year that was. Mounting the tweeter in the mouth of the mid was common though.

great find. This old sweetheart deserves some tlc. Hope you can post more pics of the process.

Thanks!

I found that the woofer wire has been disconnected and I may start by cleaning up all the connections. There is so much dirt it will take a while to clean everything. I'll have to inspect the woofer as well to see what condition it is in.

What is the ohm rating for this big guy?

Cheers,

Ed

Ok - I've performed a first clean of the cabinet. It was covered in layers of dirt and sawdust. There were many mud dauber nests that had to be removed including one in the center of the midrange. I'm sure there are more inside the cabinet but I got all I could see.

Although the midrange and tweeter still play I'm sure the crossover network is compromised. There is evidence of fluid leaks around one of the capacitors. The big coils seem to be just fine, however.

The woofer is in bad shape as the cone is destroyed. It will either have to be re-coned or replaced. If replacemed I'll have to find the TS parameters to match it as best as possible. I'd prefer to re-cone the old driver if at all possible.

Here are some updated pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I wonder if the same holds true for the 103 LX2?

I have 103 LX woofers in my '59 Shorthorns, which I believe are 16 Ohm.

Aren't the LX2 4 Ohms?

Thanks.

PS - Is this a 6" throat?

I talked to Mr. Crites and he gave me a good heads up regarding the crossover capacitors. Due to their age they likely contain dangerous PCB (common to use them in caps back then) and that they should be replaced and properly disposed. I figured that as caps don't last forever anyway.

It turns out that the system is definitely 16 Ohm.

The old K-500-5000 crossover has all PCB filled capacitors so they will have to be disposed of properly. I'm planning on rebuilding it with the existing coils and backing while adding modern capacitors.

I'm still searching for a decent woofer replacement. I may call Klipsch to see if they offer anything at a reasonable price.