MCM 1900

Gnote

I am looking for pricing help on an MCM 1900 system . It consists of 3 MWM's , 3 MSSM's , 3 MSM's , 3 MMTM's and the 3 crossovers. Basically 3 Full Stacks. These do not have any edge trim and they are a little rough but nothing terrible. They are not for sale by a forum member or are they even listed for sale. They are through a friend of a friend who got them from an old theater. He doesn,t have alot into them so out of respect to any forum members I would appreciate a pm or Email regarding their value as I believe the circumstances are unusual. Having said that I am somewhat obsessed with getting them and Fear I might overpay since I don't really know their true value.I know their are many on here who have experience with these and a better understanding of what they are worth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

• Like 1

Others will know more than me but this was my specific experience.

First, for clarification, I am presuming the units you are talking about are the double bins with two 15" drivers in them.

I once bought a pair of SINGLE height MWM bass bins, (a single 15" driver in each that stack to become the doubles that I presume yours are)

These were covered with fiberglass, had handles and had the aluminum trim. I bought them both for $250 total (not each) and spent another $250 to have them delivered from Florida to Tennessee. No MSSM's, no MSM's, no MMTM's and no crossovers.... just the two single height bass bins. I'll try to attach a picture.

I think it would be cool as beans to complete 5 stacks of them and do an outdoor surround system for movies in the backyard!!

post-15072-13819827039786_thumb.jpg

Coytee

Thank you for replying

They are the Double bins

You are one of the members I had hoped would reply!

I agree that would be incredible to have 5 stacks !

I have been lurking for years and only recently joined. As a matter of fact I had just been watching your thread about placing your MWM bins .I will have similar problems if I get these. I will have to remove door trim to get these inside as the one doorway is just shy of 32.5" and the room will be full for sure but I will not be here permanently and you guys have me wanting to try the pro stuff badly! I have not even heard these but I can only imagine from what some of you have said these will make my Belle's sound Small .

I actually met up with him this summer to look at his KP600's .I was leaning that way due to size and price. I did see the MCM's and they were prettier than these,he really had quite a collection.I didn't get listen to the MCM's because they weren't set up and they were more than I could swing at the time.He actually sold the 600's before I could make that happen. I do believe the size and weight are a major obstacle for the MCM's resale as the market is small. I don't see myself letting these go if I get them but there were a lot of things I didn't see coming so who knows! Still having 3 Fronts ready to go just seems like too much fun!

Thanks for your help.

I don't know how much they weight but the double bins are monsters. I can wrestle a single bin (not carry but wrestle) out of my garage and ultimately, get them where I want them as long as it's not up stairs nor indoors. When I setup for the movie, I use my backhoe.

It takes two people to carry a single height. I personally, would not want to be part of carrying some doubles around, I tried that once with someone else.

Not to sound rude but I personally would be willing to pay more for singles just for their ability to be moved easier. In other words, that is a polite way to say I'd be a bit harder on the price for the double bins because they are so unwieldy. [;)]

Best way I can describe the sound out of the MWM's is simply effortless. They're fun to play with. They are not fun to move.

post-15072-13819827042956_thumb.jpg

I've got the room....you've got (or will have) the speakers.....

hmmmm.... reminds me of a commercial with someone walking eating a chocolate bar and someone else walking while eating peanut butter and they get a good idea...

post-15072-13819827177808_thumb.jpg

There has been a few of these sold between members and some of us have been lucky enough to obtain either complete sets or pieces/parts from various sources. it's a labor of love that's for sure. If you're looking at a 3-pack I'd venture that they're coming out of a cinema and in fairly good condition? So much depends on condition of the cabinet and the drivers. I've purchased pairs of MCM 4 way stacks at $1300-$1500 but they needed a LOT of work and replacement of nearly all drivers. Not terribly difficult work but time consuming and can get costly. There are a couple of threads on this Forum where I go into great detail the work I've put into mine. I had a set with MWM (original double) bins and no crossovers and refurbished them completely and sold to another Forum member. My current set is BG with MWM-S and the piezo MTM tweeter packs. Note that the MSSM 10" driver there is no real recone kit available for it if it's blown, a local speaker shop made up cones for mine but there are some other Eminence DL10X that I think the guys use for refurbishment. I'd test each component the best you can. The MSM horn you'll have to remove an access door and take off some screws (take pictures of the wiring first) to determine how many of the K55's are operational. Same goes for the MMTM. So price may depend on the seller's willingness to let you individually test to see condition. In somewhat working order with good cabinets and with the networks (which the originals to mine work fine with no revamping yet) $1000 per stack?

Michael

Holly Crap! That is some Yard! Don't rule that suggestion out, I do have a truck and trailer to pull that off.The only thing stopping me from saying it will happen is having to move the MWM's

Words are cheap [;)]

Once you are part of lifting one of those monster bass bins you will slap yourself upside your head and say "what was I thinking when I opened my mouth?"

Therefore, I will never hold you to it. Once you start wrestling the bass bins around (with the commensurate cussing at them and stretching of your back muscles) you will clearly understand.

Also, once you finally place them you will convince yourself that you are never moving them again. Probably selling them with the house. Might even get a higher price on the house once a prosepctive buyer hears the system [Y]

Michael thanks for chiming in. I have followed your advice several times even though it wasn't directed at me. I like many others hold your opinoins in high regard.You are right on,they did come out of an old theater.They are in decent shape cosmetically but they don't have the trim which I 'm not sure they ever did. They look decent enough I think? I must confess when I went to see them, he did not know what he had and a mutual friend called me over to take a look .I was so stunned to see the MCM's that it was like seeing a woman naked for the first time. I couldn't tell you the color of her eyes and I can't say for sure these were in great shape but I don't remember anything being too terribly wrong. I'm sure he will let me test them.Thank You for your input and info you provided .Gary

• Moderators

I promise when I finalize the deal I will post pictures.For now we just have to admire coytee's outdoor theater. I am really envious of that. Big Smile

Good luck with the deal, and have plenty help moving everything, you will need it.

I do love that design.

Good luck with the deal, and have plenty help moving everything, you will need it

Thanks dtel . Pictures and even looking at the dimensions don't prepare you for standing in front of a set for the first time. They are HUGE !

• Moderators

Pictures and even looking at the dimensions don't prepare you for standing in front of a set for the first time. They are HUGE !

Yes they are, and heavy. The singles are heavy but it's really the size which makes them hard to handle, the double bins are rough to handle even for two people. Michael was moving some from one trailer to another and I got to help with a double bin, it was heaver than I was expecting, 4 people would make it much easier especially if you have some distance to go.

I do love that design, simple but very effective, ever see the inside ?

post-11804-138198272689_thumb.jpg

I do love that design, simple but very effective, ever see the inside ?

I may have but never paid close attention (watched one build thread), These were always something I marveled at and fantasized about but never thought would really happen. You are right it really is a thing of beauty! As far as the heavy lifting I have already been warning some of my younger friends and my son and some of his friends(mid twenties) since my mind believes I can still do anything but my body just hasn't been in agreement lately! I know these doubles are going to be a bear ,I'm getting sore just thinking about it.

[:$]

Models intended for theater use may very well be without handles also. So if you're planning on toting these about at all... Good news is that you probably will have no water damage and less rodent droppings than the rest of us have found. Dtel put a screen inside his MWM to keep varmints out. Take with you a charged drill/driver, phillips head #2, stubby phillips (if you get inside the MSM bin and can test individual drivers, a test source, alligator clip leads, a work light, digital camera.