MCM 1900

Gnote

Michael

Thanks for the tips on what to bring to check the speakers and the Flexaril. I was just reading your thread about you going through your second set of MCM'S

lots of good info in there.

Is Heli001 now Panacea Engineering?

Yes, I had 5 Double MWM bins, along with 4 single MWM bins, two MSM cabinets, 4 MSSM cabinets, and 1 MMTM pack. I sold them all to Helio except one double MWM bin I am giving to Kevin Harmon who I met through the forum here. I also sold Helio two TSCM bass cabinets and I couldn't have moved that stuff without Michaels help!!

As a side note, I just sent payment for a second KPT-684 Michael!!!

Roger

Yes, I had 5 Double MWM bins, along with 4 single MWM bins, two MSM cabinets, 4 MSSM cabinets, and 1 MMTM pack. I sold them all to Helio except one double MWM bin I am giving to Kevin Harmon who I met through the forum here. I also sold Helio two TSCM bass cabinets and I couldn't have moved that stuff without Michaels help!!

As a side note, I just sent payment for a second KPT-684 Michael!!!

Roger

So you guys have a little idea of what i'm in for[:$] That is an ungodly amount of gear!

I wish you wouldn't bring up KPT-684's , I haven't even finalized this deal and I'm already thinking I need 1 or 2 of those.

.[q

I also want to mention that Coytee is a really nice guy in person as well.

Roger

He seems great as do the majority of forum members.I'm really only saying that (about Coytee) because I want to get invited to that outdoor theater.Really though the willingness of the members especially the people in the "Pro" section to help out others is really remarkable. Hopefully some day I will have enough knowledge to pass on to others

• 1 month later...

Finally after a painfully long delay between the weather and conflicting schedules I got a chance to check these out last week and they are in really good condition.I listed my Belle's for sale when I got home to make room and to fund the project.The Belle's left Saturday which was sad for me.

We have agreed upon a price and all I have to do is work around the weather, line up some volunteers to throw their backs out and part with the cash.I am both excited and a little bit nervous about this as these are way too big and powerful for where they are going to be for the short term but that is going to change and these opportunities don't land in your lap very often.

I am going to end up with 5 MWM (double) bins 4 functional and 1 cabinet with no drivers

3 MSSM's

3 MSM's

3 MMTM's

3 MCM 4-Way Networks

And several pissed off neighbors

I want to thank all of you for your help and suggestions!

I would also like to mention that I spoke with WC from Panacea Engineering today.He is brutally honest, he may have cost himself some money today but rest assured if I or anyone I know needs a Klipsch product ,he will be the guy to go to.He is also a riot to talk with, he spent a lot of time answering questions and sharing knowledge even though there was nothing in it for him and he knew that early on.

Gary

Gary and I had a blast on the phone yesterday...... Sorry that I missed this thread, as I have not been on the Forums as much lately, due to work around here. This Winter has been very busy, as we are attacking several projects on different fronts. Trying to deal with the Local Municipalities has become an absolute costly nightmare.....!

I just tried to let him know what he was in for.......I am sure that the Cinema MCM's he is getting, are in very good shape......! I just look at it as ANOTHER set of Klipsch Speakers that are being saved, rather than parting out and to never be heard again. Once he gets them set up, he will realize wat he has.........For me, it is not about the money......!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have built dolly boards for mine, instead of building the entire size of the MWM, I constructed out of 3/4" plywood strips 3" wide (actually they were part of the pallet my 60th Khorns came on). Rectangular in shape, as wide as the back panel of the MWM, deep as the cabinet - it catches all of the weight and is tip-proof once loaded down. I used the 4" grey rubber dolly wheels from Parts Express. Put locking wheels on the front in case I roll them onto a sloped driveway. This was they are easily moved about the shop and I can sweep under them. I

• 6 months later...

Well I finally took possession of these a week ago today. I actually bought them in March but had to leave town for a long while.

I wanted to thank everyone who offered advice and ask for a little more help. .

I was wondering what (pro)amps some of you would recommend to run these to their full potential. .

Oh and I am the one on the left smiling the guy on the right is one of three friends that weren't smiling

post-57160-1381986032487_thumb.jpg

I run mine on Crown K1 and K2 amplifiers. I have also used some smaller Peavey CS amps, and gotten a decent sound from them.

What I have found with the Crown K series is a lot of efficiency. Running one in Bridge mode on a MWM cabinet, it can handle the deepest hardest bass hit with minimal draw on the mains current.

For point of reference, I have 12 MWM cabinets in my biggest system, and I can run all 12 MWM's 4 MWMS in mid bass, 4 MSSM's and 4 MSM's with single JBL 2440 drivers, and I can run ALL of that on two 20 Amp circuits indefinitely at full volume using the K amps without popping a any breakers.

Also, consider upgrading the drivers i the MWM's. I am astounded at how good they sound with the Eminence Lab15 drivers. Eminence being the OEM of the Klipsch drivers, it's not a stretch really to put a lab15 in there. A little social engineering to find out the T&S of the original drivers, and the lab15 wasn't terribly far off, so I took a shot at it, and it worked out GREAT.

This is a pic of my system at Burning Man 2 weeks ago. It was running all that on 2 outlets of a small ~5000W gasoline powered generator.

post-59170-1381986032593_thumb.png

It was running all that on 2 outlets of a small ~5000W gasoline powered generator

Because of the remote location of my house & desire to do something outdoors away from the house, I find that inspirational!!

I am however, ignorant of how you connect all the various cabinets to the source. I have a thread I started just yesterday about that (I think it's in technical, not Pro section)

Oh and I am the one on the left smiling the guy on the right is one of three friends that weren't smiling

Have you ever heard them or is this a leap of faith?

I don't mean test drive to see if drivers working, I mean setup so you can do some toe-tapping.

Also, consider upgrading the drivers i the MWM's. I am astounded at how good they sound with the Eminence Lab15 drivers. Eminence being the OEM of the Klipsch drivers, it's not a stretch really to put a lab15 in there. A little social engineering to find out the T&S of the original drivers, and the lab15 wasn't terribly far off, so I took a shot at it, and it worked out GREAT.

This is a pic of my system at Burning Man 2 weeks ago. It was running all that on 2 outlets of a small ~5000W gasoline powered generator.

Bryan - KILLER looking system. Can only imagine how GREAT it sounds. Yeah it's big heavy cabinets compared to today BUT I bet it can still hold its own with any comparably sized "modern" system.

The customer support people at Eminence are wonderful. I bought a singe Nexus Stringray car subwoofer a few years back on an online auction for very littel shipped. Only info on / in the box is optimzed for 0.33 cubic foot sealed enclosure. Made in USA so I figured very good chance it was made by Eminence. It was. They helped me find their model number and then dug up the T/S parameters for me. 8" driver in 0.33 cubic foot box as a sub sounds like it would suck up lots of power and/or not play very deep and would think might have better options.

p s. One of my high school classmates older sisters was at burning man. I've connected with her on FB so will ask her how it sounded. :)

I run mine on Crown K1 and K2 amplifiers. I have also used some smaller Peavey CS amps, and gotten a decent sound from them.

What I have found with the Crown K series is a lot of efficiency. Running one in Bridge mode on a MWM cabinet, it can handle the deepest hardest bass hit with minimal draw on the mains current.

For point of reference, I have 12 MWM cabinets in my biggest system, and I can run all 12 MWM's 4 MWMS in mid bass, 4 MSSM's and 4 MSM's with single JBL 2440 drivers, and I can run ALL of that on two 20 Amp circuits indefinitely at full volume using the K amps without popping a any breakers.

Bryan I was actually leaning towards K2's in March and then again when I saw your set up. Back in March there were K2's for sale everywhere but it seems like I have waited too long . There doesn't seem to be many around or they appear to be overpriced. That being said the efficiency would be a huge benefit to me..

Thank you for your input..

Your system is jaw dropping and at the top of my Klipsch bucket list of things to experience along with Michaels "House of Klipsch" and invite myself to "Coytee's"Richards

outdoor theater and bring some MCM's with me.

It was running all that on 2 outlets of a small ~5000W gasoline powered generator

Because of the remote location of my house & desire to do something outdoors away from the house, I find that inspirational!!

I am however, ignorant of how you connect all the various cabinets to the source. I have a thread I started just yesterday about that (I think it's in technical, not Pro section)

I ditched the crossovers completely, disconnected all coils, capacitors, and "dividing networks". Each and every driver in my system routes back to a single amplifier channel. Each amplifier channel is daisy chained off of one of the 8 outputs of a DBX DriveRack 4800. The DriveRack handles all of my frequency crossovers, sending only the audio to be amplified to each chain of amplifiers. Right now the DriveRack takes left and right 2 channel input, and divides each channel 4 ways into Sub, mid bass, midrange, and HF. My crossover points are 80Hz, 300Hz, 3000Hz, keeping vocals predominantly in the midrange driver. I am considering a 4th crossover point at 50 Hz, and introducing some additional cabinets for below 50Hz that are not Klipsch to capture the ultra lows in much of the latest electronic dance music. like the drumstep, dub step, and other related genres.

From the amps to the speakers, the most important thing to get right is the impedance. You CAN wire more than one driver to an amplifier, so long as you keep the impedance acceptable for that amplifier. It will change how it sounds, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. There are a lot f people with a lot of "rules of thumb" about how impedance and wiring to amps will affect sound at varying ranges, but in the end it is all subjective, and up to you to decide what you like best for your own listening tastes.

A good signal process or ( like the DBX) will also allow you to program delays on your outputs. sound at different frequency ranges will travel at different speeds through air, so being able to set a delay on each output to align sound arrival at your ear will also enhance your listening experience. That may take a little more tweaking, but planning for it in overall system design is a good idea, so you CAN adjust for delay when you are ready to do so.

Keep your eyes on the Behringer X32 Rack mount version. Even though it is a "mixer" it is cheaper than the DriveRack, can do ALL of the same features, plus a LOT more, and you can then use it to remote control your whole system over WiFi using either a laptop, an iPad, or an iPhone in real time. On top of that, you get all the Midas A/D converters, and D/A. I have the console version, and it has astounding features, and capabilities for the money. My drive Rack new cost me $2500 (Retail was $4500 or so at the time). The X32 is like MSRP $1500... Rediculously cheap, and great repurposed as a PA controller.