MCM 1900

Gnote

Because it's eminence, I am really jazzed about being able to say "Made in the USA" too.

Also, consider upgrading the drivers i the MWM's. I am astounded at how good they sound with the Eminence Lab15 drivers. Eminence being the OEM of the Klipsch drivers, it's not a stretch really to put a lab15 in there. A little social engineering to find out the T&S of the original drivers, and the lab15 wasn't terribly far off, so I took a shot at it, and it worked out GREAT.

This is a pic of my system at Burning Man 2 weeks ago. It was running all that on 2 outlets of a small ~5000W gasoline powered generator.

Bryan - KILLER looking system. Can only imagine how GREAT it sounds. Yeah it's big heavy cabinets compared to today BUT I bet it can still hold its own with any comparably sized "modern" system.

The customer support people at Eminence are wonderful. I bought a singe Nexus Stringray car subwoofer a few years back on an online auction for very littel shipped. Only info on / in the box is optimzed for 0.33 cubic foot sealed enclosure. Made in USA so I figured very good chance it was made by Eminence. It was. They helped me find their model number and then dug up the T/S parameters for me. 8" driver in 0.33 cubic foot box as a sub sounds like it would suck up lots of power and/or not play very deep and would think might have better options.

p s. One of my high school classmates older sisters was at burning man. I've connected with her on FB so will ask her how it sounded. :)

K series amps come and go. I got most of mine either locally off Craigslist, locally from used music equipment stores, or off of Ebay. They are getting popular again thanks to stuff like what I am doing, so the used price in the past year seems to have gone up from about $250 each to about $450 each. I have had a standing rule that I would not pay more than $450 for a K2, but lately it has been hard for me to buy hem that cheaply. Still, if Crown re-produced them, they would sell for at least $2500 new, so when I am really hard up I'll probably ay more than $450 if I have to. It's still a LOT cheaper than the new amplifier equivalents.

If your system is not going to travel, I have found fantastic deals on the Crown CTs series of architecture install amplifiers. They don't tour well because some of the parts are modular in a "card cage" like a computer. (they can wiggle loose in their sockets with vibrations while in transit) It makes them easier to service in the field, though. My entire home theater is Crown CTs . The nice thing about CTs, is tha they make them in models from 2 channel to 8 channels. I use a CTS-8200 for my 9.1 surround, that gives me 8 200 watt channels for my surround speakers, then a CTs 2000 for the front two mains, and the subwoofers are self powered. The CTS amps only take up 5 U of rack space for all those channels, and I got them for a SONG on eBay. So, if you don;t "need" the K series to go on the road like I do, the CTs will give you plenty of OOMPH at a really reasonable price. you could bridge a single CTs 2000 for each subwoofer, and run the rest of your drivers on a CTs 800, and have plenty left over.

-smash

I run mine on Crown K1 and K2 amplifiers. I have also used some smaller Peavey CS amps, and gotten a decent sound from them.

What I have found with the Crown K series is a lot of efficiency. Running one in Bridge mode on a MWM cabinet, it can handle the deepest hardest bass hit with minimal draw on the mains current.

For point of reference, I have 12 MWM cabinets in my biggest system, and I can run all 12 MWM's 4 MWMS in mid bass, 4 MSSM's and 4 MSM's with single JBL 2440 drivers, and I can run ALL of that on two 20 Amp circuits indefinitely at full volume using the K amps without popping a any breakers.

Bryan I was actually leaning towards K2's in March and then again when I saw your set up. Back in March there were K2's for sale everywhere but it seems like I have waited too long . There doesn't seem to be many around or they appear to be overpriced. That being said the efficiency would be a huge benefit to me..

Thank you for your input..

Your system is jaw dropping and at the top of my Klipsch bucket list of things to experience along with Michaels "House of Klipsch" and invite myself to "Coytee's"Richards

outdoor theater and bring some MCM's with me.

Oh and I am the one on the left smiling the guy on the right is one of three friends that weren't smiling

Have you ever heard them or is this a leap of faith?

I don't mean test drive to see if drivers working, I mean setup so you can do some toe-tapping.

It was a leap of faith but not a long one. I have lurked for years before finally joining and there are several members here whose opinions I highly value usually these members echo my sentiments on things I am familiar with and thus I tend to trust their judgement on things I'm not.

I did half a** set them up with an old Sony ES Reciever that is on it's last legs and my Phone to play some music. The Sony would go into protection if I tried to push it at all.

I will say that I expected them to sound awesome at loud levels which I did not get to try but I was not prepared for these "Delicate Beasts" to sound so full and so good at very low to very moderate levels. I can't wait to hear these with some decent gear in front of them.

Run em with about anything and be happy. In my workshop (6 car garage) I listen at pretty modest levels with a JBL/Urei 6260 which is rated at 150 wpc or so. Crown Micro or MacroTech 1200 would be plenty. Lots of guys selling this old stuff as they are heavy to tote around. I didn't read, did you get the passive network with them? Wish I had the tweeter packs you got I have the 5xpiezo ones and they're fine for pretty close up, but yours will carry farther.

I'm considering going into my 4-way networks and replacing the old caps, had good results with that process in some old LSI I have here. Sounds to me like you have a great front end for a massive home theater or a stereo pair with stuff to sell. I'd consider taking that spare MWM and empty and selling off to another Forum member. Re the metal trim that was mostly to make them more rugged for travel. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by owning a pair of these, are they for a band, rehearsal room, home theater, playroom or what? Adding that trim would only make sense if you were lugging them around which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Since yours are cinema versions, probably no handles, get some photos of the MWM double bins and study/measure where the handles are located carefully before cutting. Again, putting them on wheel boards for semi-permanent use is what I have. I wouldn't cut into them if I didnt have to. What type of input cups are on yours? Interested if they are the same metal ones with 5-way binding posts or did Klipsch put simple barrier strip terminals on them like they do today? What drivers do your MSM's have the single Gauss or the manifolded K55 design?

Run em with about anything and be happy. In my workshop (6 car garage) I listen at pretty modest levels with a JBL/Urei 6260 which is rated at 150 wpc or so. Crown Micro or MacroTech 1200 would be plenty. Lots of guys selling this old stuff as they are heavy to tote around. I didn't read, did you get the passive network with them? Wish I had the tweeter packs you got I have the 5xpiezo ones and they're fine for pretty close up, but yours will carry farther.

Michael

I did end up with Three Full Stacks including the passive networks, plus 2 additional MWM bins. 1 bin is complete and the last has no drivers.I also received 5 wooden bases that match the MWM bins exactly except in height , and they do have casters on them.

I did end up with Three Full Stacks including the passive networks, plus 2 additional MWM bins. 1 bin is complete and the last has no drivers.I also received 5 wooden bases that match the MWM bins exactly except in height , and they do have casters on them

I am looking for more of the MWM bins with the metal edging. Any chance this is what you got?

Sorry Bryan. I saw your thread about trading and believe me I would be thrilled to trade for singles but mine don't have the trim. They came out of a theater and they have no handles or trim.

I think WC at Panacea Engineering put a lot of work into reproducing the trim but from what I remember from our conversation it wasn't what I would call cheap.

WC is a straight shooter and pretty much talked me out of it but then again I don't tour. He is a riot to talk with and he had some MWM bins if I remember correctly.

I think he might be a good guy to talk with for finding some bins or figuring out what it would cost to trim them out.

Best of luck with your search and thanks for your prior input , I am considering a couple things you suggested that I would have never thought of.

Gary

Gary,

No problem, Thought I'd ask. We have a machine shop, and metal fab across the street who thinks they can make the metal, but so far nothing yet. The angles are weird, so it's not an extrusion or a casting I could even hope to buy off the rack anyplace. The corners are some sort of casting then plated somehow, maybe electroplated? I have a few cabinets missing corners, or extrusions so finding a replacement source is proving to be unobtanium.

-smash

Michael

For now these are going to be used in many ways. I will use the three full stacks for home theater duty in a very small room( this will change down the road). I will also use them for 2 channel music, and lastly I left the 2 extra MWM's on an enclosed porch so I can grab them and a couple of top sections from the house for occasional parties, outdoor events, or even let my friends band use them. l

I have the 5-way binding posts

post-57160-13819860725506_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

A long time ago I promised to post pictures of my MCM's after spending some considerable time away from home. I finally got to get these set up and post some pics

post-54893-0-05120000-1403390003_thumb.jpost-54893-0-18920000-1403390029_thumb.jpost-54893-0-53520000-1403390054_thumb.jpost-54893-0-96420000-1403390072_thumb.j

Edited by Gnote
  • Like 3

That looks fearesome.......nice livingroom system. :)

Thanks but actually yours looks fearsome especially with those 684 subs in the middle!

I haven't heard the KPT-684's yet but I really want to.

Wow. Lots of stuff jammed in there. I see you didn't paint or stain my old "coffee table sub." But hey, nothing wrong with raw OAK plywood, is there.

I told you my room was ridiculously small for what I have in there. Talk about overkill but it still sounds great. Remodeled the whole place and waiting to decided if I want to paint it black to match the MCM's but the wood is nice and I hate to ruin it . I figure I would wait and let you decide if you want to paint, stain, or leave it raw when I trade it back on those Danley's LOL

While you (we) may have way overkill as far as equipment................there is no denying that these large MCM setups sound far better and more "real" than smaller speakers..........and can be implemented to provide better/smoother FR and lower distortion as well.

There is nothing smaller that Klipsch makes that even comes close to the MCM. I know because I have owned almost all of them and/or heard A/B comparsions to the few I haven't owned and it it simply is not even close. The bigger the better..........if implemented properly.

So never worry that your speakers are too big......

One thing I found interesting was a post about PWK saying the optimal minimum room dimensions for proper bass should be 26x17x10........or something like that. A good post to go read. I think maybe in 2 CH. forum.

I think that is an important consideration because he stated he could immediately notice reduced bass in a smaller rooom. But that would be an issue for smaller speakers as well.

• Like 1

While you (we) may have way overkill as far as equipment................there is no denying that these large MCM setups sound far better and more "real" than smaller speakers..........and can be implemented to provide better/smoother FR and lower distortion as well.

There is nothing smaller that Klipsch makes that even comes close to the MCM. I know because I have owned almost all of them and/or heard A/B comparsions to the few I haven't owned and it it simply is not even close. The bigger the better..........if implemented properly.

So never worry that your speakers are too big......

One thing I found interesting was a post about PWK saying the optimal minimum room dimensions for proper bass should be 26x17x10........or something like that. A good post to go read. I think maybe in 2 CH. forum.

I think that is an important consideration because he stated he could immediately notice reduced bass in a smaller rooom. But that would be an issue for smaller speakers as well.

There are other "Makes" out there, thank god even when I built Stacked La Scalas, I kept an open mind, now I have IMO, something better.

However, even with what im about to Dial in (EAWs), I still need to keep that open mind.

• Like 1

Wow. Lots of stuff jammed in there. I see you didn't paint or stain my old "coffee table sub." But hey, nothing wrong with raw OAK plywood, is there.

I told you my room was ridiculously small for what I have in there. Talk about overkill but it still sounds great. Remodeled the whole place and waiting to decided if I want to paint it black to match the MCM's but the wood is nice and I hate to ruin it . I figure I would wait and let you decide if you want to paint, stain, or leave it raw when I trade it back on those Danley's LOL

You are too funny, man. Bigger is better and I will also have a bigger room soon. maybe some Quarter Pies in your future?

• Like 1