MCM 1900

Gnote

16 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I agree. Nothing that I’ve heard compares to the big Klipsch horn loaded speakers. One day, I will have some. 

7 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

you own the KPT 942-4  ---with quadruple woofers from ---I would think you would have the ultimate -

I have not heard the KPT 942 but he did mention horn loaded and after having heard horn loaded woofers and sub woofers I'm fairly certain I would prefer the Bass from an MWM . I really haven't heard anything better .

I agree with @nickyboy6100 about big Klipsch horn loaded speakers . I have 3 MCM 1900's that I'm thankful I found and they will be a part of my dream Home Theater. I was also lucky enough to receive 2 additional MWM's in that deal and they will be a part of my dream 2.1 Channel setup , that setup will be MWM's  with K402's on top and a KPT-1802 HLS . 

I heard the K402 Horn( not sure what driver?) at @ClaudeJ1's years ago in Indy when I was buying a LAB 12 off of him and I have been dreaming of a pair ever since.  @Chief bonehead that K402 has haunted me for years, Great Job ! I was first drawn to Klipsch when I encountered a pair of Khorns at a party in 1977 , I was mesmerized by PWK's masterpiece !

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

that 's one helluva  of a setup  ,  but add a  pair of KPT-942 -4 in the equation  /as one speaker  is short throw versus the second being long throw -

the 2 together would be simply spectacular sound  -

I love my 942-4’s don’t get me wrong. They have a bigger sound than anything I’ve ever owned. I just like the sound of horn loaded bass better. I heard Dave A’s super MWM’s and haven’t forgot about them since. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I love my 942-4’s don’t get me wrong. They have a bigger sound than anything I’ve ever owned. I just like the sound of horn loaded bass better.

I know exactly what you're saying ,

2 hours ago, Gnote said:

I heard the K402 Horn( not sure what driver?) at @ClaudeJ1's years ago in Indy when I was buying a LAB 12 off of him and I have been dreaming of a pair ever since.  @Chief bonehead that K402 has haunted me for years, Great Job ! I was first drawn to Klipsch when I encountered a pair of Khorns at a party in 1977 , I was mesmerized by PWK's masterpiece !

The driver was a K-1133 in my first pair of K-402's, since sold, but I currently have a 3rd pair. Also had B&C DE-250's in a QSC tweeter horn crossed at 3-4 Khz. (can't recall exactly) on top of my Quarter Pies, based on the MWM core. DTS-10's front and rear too. 4 KPT-200 surrounds for 7.1 at the time. Everything I have now is totally different.

Seems like eons ago, but it was only about 7-8 years. Time flies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I love my 942-4’s don’t get me wrong. They have a bigger sound than anything I’ve ever owned. I just like the sound of horn loaded bass better. I heard Dave A’s super MWM’s and haven’t forgot about them since. 

To dream the impossible dream comes to mind.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Gnote said:

that setup will be MWM's  with K402's on top and a KPT-1802 HLS . 

It is a great sounding setup, you need that. :lol:

Same thing I use but the 1502 instead of the 1802.

Only a very small difference in a house, about 3 Db less bass at full blast, which is alot, it rattles the house and everything in it... In a good way of course.

3 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

bigger sound than anything I’ve ever owned. I just like the sound of horn loaded bass better.

Same here.

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

that 's one helluva  of a setup  ,  but add a  pair of KPT-942 -4 in the equation  would be ----spectacular

The 942's would just muddy it up no need for them. 

A friend had Jubs and 2 942's, we listened then the next morning switched out the 942's for a 1802, MUCH better, much cleaner and deeper.  

Not even close, the MWM and 1802 OR 1502 is all that's needed, you will not miss the 942's.

I told Roy direct radiators SUCK, he laughed, in this comparison they did suck  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dtel said:
45 minutes ago, dtel said:

It is a great sounding setup, you need that. :lol:

Same thing I use but the 1502 instead of the 1802.

Only a very small difference in a house, about 3 Db less bass at full blast, which is alot, it rattles the house and everything in it... In a good way of course.

I knew that and I want to be like @dtel :D 1502 would be fine but they are gone. 

I have watched for used K402's for years and can never find any . Knowing how much I wanted them ,Claude offered me his when he sold them but I just couldn't swing it at the time . With news of the new version coming out and what I believe will be a substantial price increase I panicked and started bugging a certain guy who will remain nameless ( @Paducah Home Theater) and asked him to order me a pair of the current version. I am very excited to say the least. Now I can start messaging that same guy every 3 months asking how much the 1802 is .

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Gnote said:

I knew that and I want to be like @dtel :D

No you don't want that, I am old and cranky, that's what my wife says anyway. 

5 hours ago, Gnote said:

I have watched for used K402's for years and can never find any .

I got really lucky, in 09 a forum member (JWC) was selling a pair and I was able to get them. 

He lived about half way between us and East Tennessee, so we picked them up from him and went to the mountain's for a week. To not carry them around with us in the car all week I put them in our bedroom in the chalet we rented. 

The 402 horns on vacation with us......:lol:

402 trip tenn-138.JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators

Since I'm telling how it happened....

I built the house MWM cabinets from Oak plywood. But I knew the right dimensions because a different forum member (mark1101) was selling an extra pair of singles he had, he lived about half way up the state of Georgia, 7-8 hours from us. We drove to his house and Mark and his wife was kind enough to let us stay the night to drive back the next day, they even cooked dinner, it was very nice of them and was fun. 

But to haul them home I had made what I called the "redneck speaker carrier", if you want something bad enough.....

Well we made it back home no problems, thought for sure we would get pulled over. It is like the racks you see on the back of trucks to haul 4 wheelers or ice chest but just big enough to haul MWM's. Still can't believe I did that. :lol: I think Mark thought I was nuts, might still ? 

7+ hours driving like this, you should have seen the looks. :o

mwm (3).jpg

mwm (2).jpg

• Like 5

Haha, I only had a 30 minute drive to get mine, but I rented a truck.

Now... when we first picked them up for the college, a co-worker and I drove down to JWCs house with a trailer. The doubles are hard to move, though.

10 hours ago, dtel said:

The 402 horns on vacation with us......:lol:

Now THAT is frikkin' hilarious. You and I heard the MWM/402 combo at the same time, along with your wife and daughter. All 4 of us, along with other unmentionables in the room, smiled and said, OH YEAH!.................................now THIS is IT. I sold my Khorns as soon as I found  4 MWMs bins for sale, but I had to drive from Detroit to Ottawa (capital of Ontario, Canada) to get mine. Plus I had to trailer them across the border, using a special trick not to have to pay any "duty" on them. We all wanted those bad in about 3 seconds, that's for sure! All the other bass horns sounded "wimpy" in comparison, but that was almost 14 years ago. I can't wait to hear Roy's new Jubilees!!

Now THAT is frikkin' hilarious. You and I heard the MWM/402 combo at the same time, along with your wife and daughter. All 4 of us, along with other unmentionables in the room, smiled and said, OH YEAH!.................................now THIS is IT. I sold my Khorns as soon as I found  4 MWMs bins for sale, but I had to drive from Detroit to Ottawa (capital of Ontario, Canada) to get mine. Plus I had to trailer them across the border, using a special trick not to have to pay any "duty" on them. We all wanted those bad in about 3 seconds, that's for sure! All the other bass horns sounded "wimpy" in comparison, but that was almost 14 years ago. I can't wait to hear Roy's new Jubilees!!

Please do share you ( over the border) trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Now THAT is frikkin' hilarious. You and I heard the MWM/402 combo at the same time, along with your wife and daughter. All 4 of us, along with other unmentionables in the room, smiled and said, OH YEAH!..

That's exactly how it happened, Roy was sitting in front and even said WOW after hearing them.

And we were only listening to one speaker, when my wife and daughter said that's what we want, I thought they were kidding considering the size.

This was the first time this combination was ever heard together, after it came out of the anechoic chamber.

jubefest 9 07 (230).JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Claude, this is for you, Mrs. V.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I printed those for her from my visit in Aug 1985 where I spent a day with she and Paul. Great memories from that day, especially when she was asked to tell some stories about him. Fun time for all!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 11:06 PM, dtel said:

Since I'm telling how it happened....

I built the house MWM cabinets from Oak plywood. But I knew the right dimensions because a different forum member (mark1101) was selling an extra pair of singles he had, he lived about half way up the state of Georgia, 7-8 hours from us. We drove to his house and Mark and his wife was kind enough to let us stay the night to drive back the next day, they even cooked dinner, it was very nice of them and was fun. 

But to haul them home I had made what I called the "redneck speaker carrier", if you want something bad enough.....

Well we made it back home no problems, thought for sure we would get pulled over. It is like the racks you see on the back of trucks to haul 4 wheelers or ice chest but just big enough to haul MWM's. Still can't believe I did that. :lol: I think Mark thought I was nuts, might still ? 

7+ hours driving like this, you should have seen the looks. :o

mwm (3).jpg

mwm (2).jpg

That's funny! I remember going to Tim's in St Louis and getting 4 sets of KPT-456's, a three way stack of MCM-1900's, two EV-440 sub's, and four John Allen single MWM bins. The van was completely full and the 20' trailer had little to spare. Stopped off at Cory's on the way home and he had to have a picture of it all to post on his forum group.

Those 942's are great speakers but there is just no substitute for a single fold bass horn. The 904 and 415 bass bins sound really good and make great theater speakers. Single fold horns though impact you like you are there in person. It's why every one who stops in here has to hear Japanese Fireworks on the Super MWM. The percussion wave both audible and physical hits you just like it would if you were there in person and there is no other way  to do this I know of.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2014 at 10:42 AM, mark1101 said:

While you (we) may have way overkill as far as equipment................there is no denying that these large MCM setups sound far better and more "real" than smaller speakers..........and can be implemented to provide better/smoother FR and lower distortion as well.

There is nothing smaller that Klipsch makes that even comes close to the MCM. I know because I have owned almost all of them and/or heard A/B comparsions to the few I haven't owned and it it simply is not even close. The bigger the better..........if implemented properly.

So never worry that your speakers are too big......

One thing I found interesting was a post about PWK saying the optimal minimum room dimensions for proper bass should be 26x17x10........or something like that. A good post to go read. I think maybe in 2 CH. forum.

I think that is an important consideration because he stated he could immediately notice reduced bass in a smaller rooom. But that would be an issue for smaller speakers as well.

Excuse me........I think that you are mistaken.  You must not own Jubilees yet.  I think you will find that while the mighty MWMs have their signature, the Jubilees have theirs as well, play lower, play higher, sport some good looks, and definitely hold their own by comparison.  Some may say sound better in a room than MWMs.  That may be a matter of opinion to some who have actually compared.

Believe me, I remember this.  How could I forget.  Also, I drove to Chesapeake Bay, Va. to get get a trailer full of those singles.  Dtel got these xtras.  I never saw an MWM carrier like that but it was brilliant and perfect for the job as you can see.   Great workmanship.

Dtel and Christy brought Kim and I a king cake as a gift and I wound up with the baby.  I still owe you and Christy a King cake.  Haven't forgotten.  I may have to repay with a Georgia Key Lime Pie though.  We'll see what happens this summer if Klipsch has any get togethers.

I heard Haydel's doesn't put the baby inside the cake anymore and it just comes "on the side".  It has been a few years, hasn't it?

907700470_mwm(3).jpg.67e912695959ac265c8a05b4a9a4bc9d.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

Believe me, I remember this.  How could I forget.  Also, I drove to Chesapeake Bay, Va. to get get a trailer full of those singles.  Dtel got these xtras.  I never saw an MWM carrier like that but it was brilliant and perfect for the job as you can see.   Great workmanship.

Dtel and Christy brought Kim and I a king cake as a gift and I wound up with the baby.  I still owe you and Christy a King cake.  Haven't forgotten.  I may have to repay with a Georgia Key Lime Pie though.  We'll see what happens this summer if Klipsch has any get togethers.

I heard Haydel's doesn't put the baby inside the cake anymore and it just comes "on the side".  It has been a few years, hasn't it?

907700470_mwm(3).jpg.67e912695959ac265c8a05b4a9a4bc9d.jpg

Pretty sure I heard you coming through my area when you left Tim's.