Best use of $1000 on a HT sub?

Gliderguy3

Three Tapped horn subs using 3 LAB 12 drivers. $300 each DIY. One shakes the floor. 3 shakes the whole neighborhood. Down to 15 Hz., which can't be touched by wimpy direct radiator woofers.

Or maybe 2 subs and 1 ampWink.

Yes, that would make the setup complete for less than a G.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three well placed Klipsch rw12d's (when on sale) are about the best you can find for under $1000. I have one of these paired with a BIC pl-200' and it's out of this world!! I hit 17hz pretty easily.

I dunno...The RW-12D is only rated down to 24 Hz.

It definitely hits lower than that.

How did you test it to come up with that number?

Three well placed Klipsch rw12d's (when on sale) are about the best you can find for under $1000. I have one of these paired with a BIC pl-200' and it's out of this world!! I hit 17hz pretty easily.

I dunno...The RW-12D is only rated down to 24 Hz.

It definitely hits lower than that.

Ive got 2 of them and they die with anything under 25 Hz

thats why im selling them for 2 Rythmik FV15HP"s

Room modes can excite a sub well below it's free field cutoff frequency measurements. I guess the question is how much?

That may very well be, but another scenario is on the internet some people make claims without doing the measurements. Otoh, if I truly liked my subwoofer(s) and thought it hit lower than it did, it wouldn't make any difference unless someone else took my comment at face value and assumed it to be universally true...That said, I still don't think the RW-12d can hit 17 Hz, and definitely not anywhere under it's advertised specs with a high SPL.

Hi tkdamerica, good to see you. I don't think it can hit 17 with enough spl but room gain can make a sub LFE at lot better than posted specs and the addition of a second sub for a little more ump. You made the key point, be happy with what you buy, and buy what makes you happy! Now, back to the original post, lol.

15 will take a roll of dimes and a roll of nickles.

That actually makes sence to me...lol

Jeez i must be slow, i read the part about the 25Hz, and the roll of quarters, went right over my head, didnt get it until i read this part as well...lol...brains running a little slow on a Sunday night.

IIIIImmmm BAAAAAAAACCCCCK!

been crawling around my attic trying to fix a cat 5 wiring problem, finally got the problem solved. Haven't been browsing many sites except speedtest.net and speakeasy.

I am leaning hard toward the SW 115, Seems like a good value for a new sub with warranty. I am liking the wireless add-on capability and would probably use that to let me stealth the sub a bit. as far as something like a RSW-15 I am a little shy about buying a used sub unless the price is a steal. There is no good way that I know of to tell how hard it has been pounded on.

I like the lil'mike design F20 and the Fitzmaurice THT, but I am not ready to commit 30 or 40 hours of shop time to make something furniture grade that my wife would actually let in the house. I also fear for the sliding glass door that sits near one corner behind the listening area if I go that capable (If I have it, it WILL get cranked occasionally when the house is SANS spouse.)

I have just about squirrelled away a second $1000 to try to get an RB81 / RC 62 / RS 52 set to complete it all. (or at least pretty close to having the purchase price as cash in hand.) The sub should be 3-6 dB more capable than the mains which means I just won't really run out of steam. I would go a small step up in size to Heresy, but am unsure about a center speaker. This is also the point where the WAF resistance starts to look like an open circuit.

This thread has really taken off, I do appreciate all the thoughtful replies. I may eventually go lil'mike or BFM, but I have a feeling that the project would run months before I could complete, and I want to do something a little more turnkey for my first real go at it.

• 4 weeks later...