Cornwall III or RF-7 II??? Please help running out of time.

Hello,

A few weeks ago I bought RF-7 II for fronts, RC-64 II for center and RB-81 II for rears with an earthquake MKV-15 sub.

I have a few days left on the return policy and I am think about exchanging the RF-7 II for the Cornwall III's.

There is not a local dealer so I am going off my 25 year old memory of the Cornwall I's I had as a teenager.

Is the Cornwall III worth the effort and money? Would I have any timber matching problems or would I be ok with movies?

Currently, I use the Hi-Fi system for 60% stereo music and 40% HT. I am running 250 watts x 5 NHT power 5.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

post-10774-13819827141862_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your reply,

Thats a good idea but my current layout of the A/V room dictates that I go with the RC- 64II center.

I did talk to Steve at Klipsch Tech today and while he has never heard that exact combination, he seemed to think I would be ok with movies.

It is a very hard call...As I have to live with these for years I really need to make the right choice.

My first impression of the RF-7 II is that it is missing some of the midrange magic of my old Cornwalls...

It could be that it is my amp maybe a tube amp would bring it out in the RF-7 II?

Please chime in here if you have experience with one or the other..or both.

• Moderators

Your front 3 are currently timbre matched. The 64 and Corns would not be however. How good or bad they sound together would be hard to say. I'd use a Heresy III as a center between a pair of Cornwall III's if it were me.

Exactly

Really personal choice between Rf-7 ll and Cornwall lll, you can't lose either way but only your ears could decide what you like better. I would not mix the Rf with Heritage, myself. I have Cornwall lll's but no RF-7 ll's so i can't give an opinion

Sorry, all I could say is try to listen if possible

Let me ask the question another way...Which one would you get for stereo music only?

Can you go into a bit on why you would not match the Heritage and the RF II?

I would love to listen to the Cornwall III but there in no K dealer in NE FL according to Klipsch.

This mean I am going to go on people opinions that have been there.

I hope that isn't too much pressure on the forum! :)

• Moderators

Let me ask the question another way...Which one would you get for stereo music only?

I can't say I only have the Clll, I have heard the RF but not together to compare.

Can you go into a bit on why you would not match the Heritage and the RF II?

Timber matching, like you said but I don't know how they sound together really.

I would love to listen to the Cornwall III but there in no K dealer in NE FL according to Klipsch.

This mean I am going to go on people opinions that have been there.

I hope that isn't too much pressure on the forum! :)

Not to much pressure but not hearing them together I can't give you a fair answer and feel comfortable doing so.......sorry really wish I could help more.

Hopefully someone who has both may see this.

Like Cecaa said a Heresy lll would be best between cornwall lll's or what you have now, the difference in sound preference is personal, people here prefer both. Mixing is not the best answer but can be done, for movies much of the front sound comes from the center.

You could listen to Cornwall lll's here but i don't have the others here.

Wish there was a clear winner, it would be easier.

As a general rule (there's some debate however) you want the front 3 speakers to have somewhat of the same tweeters and horns if possible to be timbre matched. You want a seamless soundstage when all 3 speakers are playing and when panning from left to right. The best way to achieve this ideally is with 3 identical speakers. The second and more popular option is to employ 3 speakers that use similar drivers.

I can't give an exact opinion on your scenario but I do have a couple different Heritage 2 channel systems and a 7.1 Reference system. I love them both but wouldn't mix the two speaker types in the same system. They just have a different sound. Neither better or worse than the other, just different (to me). At one time I even had different Reference lines in my 7.1 system. The timbre difference in those speakers was evident even though they were all Reference.

I want to make sure my front stage speakers are the right ones so two channel is done correctly first.

In my opinion two channel just has to be right. Then...Timber matching would come next.

So has anyone gone from the RF-7 II to CW III? Or the reverse?

Anotherwards, is the RF-7 II an even match for the CW III for two channel?

Money aside, which would be another 800.00 dollars to go to the CW III, as I will have these for years.

My room and wife will only allow a RF-7 II or a Cornwall to be place up front. I cannot afford the P series.

I would need to the exchange by early next week so I have to decice quickly.

Sometimes the different speakers lines sound way different, but is it our ears. We get use to a certain sound and it takes awhile to adjust to different speakers. The longer we listen to the new speakers, we see subtle qualites compared to the other. Two great choice for you to decide on. The best things is you can't go wrong.

IMO, keep the 7's in the matched system and if down the road you fall into a set of Corn's (1,2 or 3) then set up another 2 channel rig and enjoy those too. I say this having 7's, Corns and many others and most of them were acquired chasing my tail for something that was drastically better, but in the end I just decided to enjoy what each of them bring to the table, since they all put a big fat smile on my face. There's always going to be better, but chasing it takes away from enjoying what you turn on and listen to.

you go with the 7's because you already own them. do you or your wife know how big cornwalls are. i had 4 cornwall 3's and a heresy 3 ( 8 grand ) in a 16x16 room. i loved it. i now have cornwalls and heresy rears. can i tell the difference, absolutely

you already have a 5.1 setup with the 7's do you know how much it would cost to get 4 cornwalls and a heresy center or 2 cornwalls and 3 heresys.

what size room do you have. the 64 center is way easier to put on a shelf than a heresy

2 of my previously owned cornwall 3's are for sale over on Agon down in GA

and remember the cornwall 3 has the heresy midrange horn ( K-700 ) instead of the K-600 and the woofer is moved up higher in the cab so whatever you remember about the sound of the cornwall 1 it ain;t the same

My room is 35 x 18 x 9 ft.

Some food for thought Budman...The RC64 II and the RB - 81 II (rears) are staying as they fit into the room.

I am still within my exchange period on the RF-7 II. So its now or never to get the CW III.

My house does not allow for another place for a seperate 2 channel rig so my A/V room has to do both stereo and HT duties.