KEF vs Klipsch

Kain

Yesterday, I went to an audio store. They had high-end stuff and they were a KEF dealer and so had many KEF speakers for demo. I heard them and they sounded nice. I was wondering how KEF compares to Klipsch. So, can someone please tell me how KEF speakers compare to Klipsch? By the way, please try to keep your answer as unbiased as possible.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

By the way, I am asking this question because I haven't heard Klipsch! Frown.gif

Actually, I have heard Klipsch, but only briefly at someone's house. Plus, it was about a year back and so I don't really remember what I heard. cwm3.gif

But by telling how KEF compare to Klipsch will give me any idea of their sound. Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

This message has been edited by KAiN64 on 06-17-2002 at 04:13 AM

I KAiN64!

I had the "KEF ref2.2" they are 91 db and they were the best speakers i had in my home...before i listen the KLIPSCH speakers.(I had some GENESIS VI, HALES concept 2, TRIANGLE Antal JEAN MARIE REYNAUD Offrande, KEF ref 2.2 and listen a lot more.)

the sound with KLIPSCH is more rich and more vivid.(it's easy to move the speakers when they have high sensitivity!)

The KEF, compare to the other low sensitivity speakers are very good. "B&W" and "PARADIGM" are very good too!...but the problem with this speakers is that they need power and MONEY! Because powerful Amp are more expensive, and even with the best amplifier, the cones, wich have low sensitivity, move more, and it's not good. And plus, they have more distortion because they move more, and plus,(sorry for my bad english)they can't be as precise as the horn because they move more, and plus, they don't move as fast as the horn(because they move more...)and PLUS, and that all, they play louder for the same Watt you put on them.

I live in Europe, and they only know about low sensitivity speakers, and people don't know what they miss.

High sensitivity = "REAL" High fidelity

KAiN64, stay with your futur "RF7", you are right!(did you think about heritage line???......)

Best regards,

Freud,

Thanks.

But check out this KEF speaker: http://www.kef.com/products/reference/refmodel_207.html

new_model207_big.jpg

By the look of it, it seems it would sound better than the RF-7s. cwm24.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

DVD Player: Arcam DV88

quote:

Originally posted by Freud:

KAiN64: "please try to keep your answer as unbiased as possible"

I miss that...

Huh? What ya mean? cwm13.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

quote:

Very nice speakers!

My GENESIS VI was nice to...

Yeah, those (I think) are top-of-the-line KEF Reference Series speakers. I wonder how they sound compared to Klipsch RF-7s. These KEF's also have some "special tweeter."

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

Freud is on the right track here. The KEF's are power hungry, but smooth sounding speakers. Quite good, actually, if the goal is to provide moderate volume listening with good image.

However -

There is no way that a KEF will keep up with the dynamics of a Klipsch - especially for HT or where volume is desired - it's no contest. But then again, there's not many speakers out there that will, unless you go Altec or other vintage horns - or Pro theater gear (Klipsch or JBL).

If you go with KEF, plan on spending more money on amplifiers - the KEF's will suck up power like I would suck up a "golden soda" on a warm summer day. If you are looking for that Klipsch brand of "impact", look elsewhere - but if you want more moderate volume with sonic detail, the KEF's would work.

Two different animals, IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by dndphishin:

Freud is on the right track here. The KEF's are power hungry, but smooth sounding speakers. Quite good, actually, if the goal is to provide moderate volume listening with good image.

However -

There is no way that a KEF will keep up with the dynamics of a Klipsch - especially for HT or where volume is desired - it's no contest. But then again, there's not many speakers out there that will, unless you go Altec or other vintage horns - or Pro theater gear (Klipsch or JBL).

If you go with KEF, plan on spending more money on amplifiers - the KEF's will suck up power like I would suck up a "golden soda" on a warm summer day. If you are looking for that Klipsch brand of "impact", look elsewhere - but if you want more moderate volume with sonic detail, the KEF's would work.

Two different animals, IMO.

Thanks.

I stay with Klipsch then. Smile.gif

However, the picture of the KEF speakers that I posted seems like they would have MONSTER sound. cwm24.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

KAiN64: My KEF ref 2.2 have been replace by the "203" model(very nice design!)For you information, i think that the best KEF ever made is "maybe" the 104.2 concidering the size, the price and the performance

Best regards,

Freud,

quote:

KAiN64: My KEF ref 2.2 have been replace by the "203" model(very nice design!)For you information, i think that the best KEF ever made is "maybe" the 104.2 concidering the size, the price and the performance

Best regards,

Freud,

You also have the Klipsch RF-3s, right? If so, do you think Klipsch sounds better than your KEF Model 203?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

Kain said:

"However, the picture of the KEF speakers that I posted seems like they would have MONSTER sound."

I learned with KEF that looks are deceiving. I remember becoming addicted to Klipsch nearly 20 years ago, when a friend bought a set of Cornwall II's. I then set out to find a speaker that would beat them - and KEF was one of the candidates - until I heard them. Just when the KEF's were "maxing out" on the volume, the Klipsch were just hitting their stride.

They do sound nice, but that's not good enough for this rock and roll addict. If it's not loud enough to wake the neighbors, it's not loud enough. I don't recommend waking the neighbors, but it's sure nice to know that you canSmile.gif

Klipsch is like San Francisco's Grateful Dead:

"They are not the best at what they do, they are the only ones that do what they do."

I dndphishin!

You said that KEF would be OK at moderate volume, but my KLIPSCH RF3 are very OK at low volume, and i would say that they are more plesent than my last KEF ref 2.2 at moderate volume!...

Of course KLIPSCH can go loud, but they can go low to, and that why they are so complet in every area.

KLIPSCH did a good job!

Best regards,

Freud,

Thanks guys! Smile.gif

I guess Klipsch it is! Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater: