yamaha receivers?

Hi All

So I wanted to see if any of you had an opinion......

I purchased a new rx v673 which sounds good and has gotten really good reviews but since purchasing I have noticed that yamaha's aventage line has an offering, the rx a720, for right around the same price. I am still with in the window of which I could exchange the rx v673 for the rx a720, wondering if its worth it.

My question is, both receivers have the same specs do any of you think that there would be a noticeable difference in performance? The avantage offers a additional year of warranty. Outside of that they appear to be the same basically.

thanks for your thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

I have the older model to yours the RX-V665.The only problem I had was that it wasn't suffciently vented and got hot. Also when pushed real hard it clipped. I CALLED kLIPSCH and told them I had a set of their H/D 500 s and they kind of scoffed at the idea it was the speakers causing the clipping. The Yamaha would go into protection

mode shut down for a second then reset. After putting the avr on top w/ all air circulating no other problems have come up. It does have pre-outs which is great because if your into a lot of music this avr isn't the one for you w/o an external amp which I did add.

I had a set of their H/D 500 s and they kind of scoffed at the idea it was the speakers causing the clipping.

I ran my HD 500 off a 100 watts Sony which seemed to be a good match. I am surprised the avr was clipping on the HD 500. Maybe a problem with the unit?

Clearly it was the Yamaha .It was just getting to hot and was not vented right. I also bought into the whole 90wtts thing per chnl which when pushed equates w/ nowhere near that. Mac they say they put out 200wpc or my Adcom the same and yea it's the right wattage.This is why everyone w/in hearing distance if your main pleasure is music and some movies get an amp to bolster that woefully under powered avr.Also I found that all the features that was offered were a waste of time and all it did was add echo or delay and not much else. Yea sure a theater in Vienna ,what a crock of turd.

Here's your excuse to trade up. Go up a model or two while it's convenient. You can never have too much power in a receiver, and the higher models have better sound quality as well as added features.

If you want to use a turntable at some point, you'll want a receiver with phono inputs, and if you plan to eventually add a separate power amp or amps, you'll want to be sure your receiver has pre-amp outs.

As you've discovered, receivers (and most other electronics) need sufficient space around them to cool properly. Please continue to take that into account when placing your gear.