Longer power cords for wall mounted TV's?

Joe Shmoe

Thoughts on replacement cords from Amazon for new Panasonic plasma?

I need about 8' and the cord supplied is only 5'. Rather than tear the wall apart to install a new outlet, should I purchase one off Amazon? I called Panasonic and didn't have much luck. Poor customer service (automated operators).

I have actually thought about doing just that! Anyone see any problems with this ?

Joe,

I see no problems but maybe go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a more heavy duty cord for the task. Don't get one of those flimsy cords that you can get at a dollar store.

Bill

I don't know the laws in your state but usually running an extension cord throug the wall is illegal. But I am sure most of us have done it. One suggestion is to make sure the extension cord is long enough so you don't have any plugs inside the wall.

Don't worry about the proprieary connector on the back of the TV. A standard IEC plug will fit perfectly fine. Some of the older Pannasonics allowed you to remove the locking part of the factory cord and put it on the new cord you buy.

• Like 1

Joe Shmoe, I am a master electrician and an electrical contractor in Michigan and I can tell you what you did was completely illegal and not worth the $150-200 (assuming the wall is somewhat easily accessible) it would have cost you to properly put a receptacle behind your TV. The extension cord that you ran inside your wall is not rated for this purpose, just like the power cord that came with your TV is not rated for in-wall use. Just hire a REAL ELECTRICIAN with a REAL LICENSE and have it done properly.

Joe Shmoe, I am a master electrician and an electrical contractor in Michigan and I can tell you what you did was completely illegal and not worth the $150-200 (assuming the wall is somewhat easily accessible) it would have cost you to properly put a receptacle behind your TV. The extension cord that you ran inside your wall is not rated for this purpose, just like the power cord that came with your TV is not rated for in-wall use. Just hire a REAL ELECTRICIAN with a REAL LICENSE and have it done properly.

Although "illegal" I am sure it will be fine for now. As stated (as bad as it sounds) I taped it up pretty well to insure it didn't come apart.The extension cord is of similar if not thicker gauge than the original power cord. The wall is an interior wall as opposed to exterior wall where elements may be an issue.

I did choose to save $150-200 by not hiring an electrician. I am fully capable of installing a GFCI outlet, but do do not have the time right now with school, work, family to tear into the wall.

No offense, but knowing how to install a GFCI (you don't need to, nor should you, use a GFCI behind your TV if that's what you did. If it trips you'll have a difficult time resetting it behind your TV) does not make you an expert on this subject. The conductor size has nothing to do with the safety of this application- it is the type of insulation that is used on the conductors that qualifies a wire to be installed in a wall. I have done fire repairs for over 2 decades and have seen more than my fair share of fires caused by people doing their own electrical work. Something as "simple" as replacing a bath fan caused a customer to burn his entire house to the ground because it wasn't done properly. I'm not trying to scare you, I just know first hand what can happen so I really try to discourage people from doing their own electrical work. I'm done preaching, hope it turns out well for you.

Joe,

Any chance the existing outlet is in the same stud bay as your cord? If so it would be very simple to cut in a remodel box behind the TV, and run a matched (to existing) gauge in-wall Romex type (national brand?) cable w/ground between the existing box and the remodel box, without tearing open the wall.

If not the same bay, you might consider making your own extension cord (but longer) out of in-wall rated wire, allowing the male TV plug to female extension cord connection to be in the room, rather than in the wall.

These are just ideas, though inexpensive, and relatively time friendly. You'll do what you want, but I don't know that the extension cord suggestion was necessarily a suggestion to run an extension cord in the wall, let alone have a taped together connection in there.

Chris

I appreciate the comments, however it's going to stay as is for a while.

The existing outlet is about 3 bays over. I did look into it already to find that there are two sets of wires running into the same box, so it doesn't make it as easy to determine which wire passes through the bay where I need the outlet.

I do have plenty of room behind the TV to put a GFCI (which I would do) because there would be no other type of surge protection. My TV is mounted to a articulated mount (I'm able to pull the TV away from the wall).

I plan to insulate the wall anyway later in the future, just not right now.

Are 2 sets of wires running into the same box, or is there 1 set in and 1 set out (to the next outlet)?

Either way, if you eventually find the time for this project, a long bell hanger bit will get you 3+ bays over so you can do the work in the existing box instead of in the wall. This method would provide a pull box with a blank plate (or an additional outlet) in the correct stud bay, and an outlet up high where you need it.

Now that I think about it, I guess you are right. How is the TV protected then? My thinking was that the GFCI would at least offer something rather than nothing.

On the outlet: I don't know what the other wires are there for. Without seeing everything it's hard to say. the only other thing in the vicinity is a smoke detector and a switch.

Joe, they do sell surge suppression receptacles that you can put in a standard junction box that work well behind TV's. Typically (but not in every case) you would just have a feed-through at receptacles, where it is a simple black to black, white to white, grounds together situation. I would be happy to answer any question you have on this if you would like some help.