Longer power cords for wall mounted TV's?

Joe Shmoe

• 1 year later...

bhenry is right on. GFCI is an acronym for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. It is used in circumstances where a ground fault could occur and kill you. An ordinary breaker will not detect a ground fault. Think of it this way, if you are standing barefooted in the yard and grab the hot (black) wire from a household circuit, you become the circuit through which the voltage finds the ground. A breaker will just sit there and let you die. A GFCI will detect the fault, and trip the circuit off.

bhenry knows more about this than I ever will. Please take his advice eventually.

• Like 1

I'm confused.....are you actually running power inside the wall? I'm trying to understand why a TV would require in wall connectivity. That's an intense requirement in my mind. In fact, I've never seen anything like that.

I also don't get it in light of your picture.

Doc, it's a wall-mounted TV, and he doesn't want the power cord to be visible. As for the other cords to and from the TV, I'm not sure whether he has routed them through the wall or has them hanging down.

To the OP: you can get cable routing sleeves from office supply stores that would cover all the cables and they come in off-white colours that match some walls, or they can be painted to match the wall. Just a suggestion.

With any household electricity, never fudge it or take shortcuts. The codes and regulations are there because houses burned down and people died before anyone realized how wiring should be properly run.

Now we know better.

As for GFCIs, they're for protection against electric shock, which can be a hazard where electrical outlets are near sinks or other water sources, like in kitchens or bathrooms. They don't protect equipment, since they're not meant to.

To protect your electronic equipment against electrical surges, you need a surge protector. Some of them, such as certain models by Tripp-Lite, come with 8-foot or 12-foot leads.

In-wall wiring is different from standard wiring for safety reasons. Standard-type wires should never be run inside a wall.

You're getting good advice in this thread. I hope you take some of it to heart.

Joe's last post was almost a year ago.

It's still good information. I removed a light from the family room in my new house. It was a swag lamp, hung on a screw hook placed in the ceiling joist. The regular clear vinyl zip/lamp cord was run into the attic and across to an original junction box. Gave me the willies to see it, but I disconnected it and pulled it out.

Bruce