How to improve the Khorn in this corner setup?

Dmitry

i"m not following what you guys are saying about the heat, I dont see any heaters

They are in the baseboards. In certain parts of the country (not mine[;)]), people have "baseboard" heaters that radiate heat though out the room, along the walls.

I hope that helps,

Dennie

I think you can see a black feeder hose entering the BB heater under the window on the left. So maybe it's continuous all the way around and can't be broken into segments around the two K-horns.

Now I wonder if you want to bottle up all that heat behind false corners. Is there more heated baseboard on the other side of the room, and could the ones we see be disconnected and removed?

It's not a feeder hose, just some pipe insulation, with the cover missing. :) Removing or rerouting baseboard isn't an option. This weekend I'm going to slap together the false corners. I don't think there's too much danger of heat getting to the speaker cabinets, the f.c.'s should dissipate it, as was voiced above.

What is the consentual length of the staves on the f.c.'s? Will 3 feet from the back angle do?

Greg Roberts closed in my backs using 1" plywood I believe. The link below shows the complete restoration, but there are many pics of the closed in backs, and how he did them. They sound amazing btw!!

http://www.klipschupgrades.com/flkhorn.shtml

Mike

Those really do look nice. Someone mentioned to me that this is the way the new khorn's are manufactured today. I'm not so sure about that.

I think you have a lot of options. The easy thing is live with what
you have for a while till you decide what you really want to do.

3 sheets of 3/4 plywood or MDF to build up some TSCM type enclosures similar
to the ones I built and linked in my first reply

2 Sheets of 3/4 plywood or MDF to somehow simulate some corners

Build real false corners like the attachment from the "Dope for
Hope" series that were done by Paul back in the day.

Enclose the backs like the post above.

All of these will improve the bass response, some more than others. The TSCM
and the false corners are Klipsch solutions and will more than likely work the
best, enclosing the back as the above picture shows will get you nearly every
thing but leave a bit on the table but is probably not reversible. The two
sheets option is really pretty easy but probably not as elegant as the others.

post-42841-13819827689002_thumb.jpg

Greg Roberts closed in my backs using 1" plywood I believe. The link below shows the complete restoration, but there are many pics of the closed in backs, and how he did them. They sound amazing btw!!

http://www.klipschupgrades.com/flkhorn.shtml

Mike

Those really do look nice. Someone mentioned to me that this is the way the new khorn's are manufactured today. I'm not so sure about that.

Thanks Boxx! After reading Greg's notes it looks like the backs are 3/4" plywood.

Mike

enclosing the back as the above picture shows will get you nearly every
thing but leave a bit on the table but is probably not reversible.

All I'll say is they go pretty deep and hit really hard! And they look great while doing it!

Mike

Hi Mike

Very nice execution of the enclosed backs and I did not mean to slite you or your Khorns in any way. it just that the OP has some difficult problems with both corners. That's to say between the windows and the baseboard heat they may not ever be 100 percent. One of my Khorns downstairs has a corner that has a window that I am sure is not allowing it to perform as well as it could. We all have to work with what we have and the space that we have to use and do the best with it. My budget dictated a lot of what I have and I am able to enjoy what I have because I can look past some of the issues of the goods I was able to afford. Both pairs of Khorns cost me $1400 in 2010 and that allows me to enjoy what would other wise not have been possible.

post-42841-13819827690552_thumb.jpg

Gary, no slight taken. I ment to put a smiley on the end of my response and forgot. :-)

Agree with having to work with what we have. I don't have corners either (just one but has a window next to it) and knew I would need to do something in order to get the best from them. If you look at what Greg did to put those backs on it is pretty inmpressive. Here is what he had to say:

Closing in the backs of Khorn bass bins is a little tricky. Trickier
still if you don't want to reduce the size of the horn. If I installed
3/4" thick pieces
of plywood to close in the backs of the bass horns, and installed them
so that they were enclosed within the horn space, that would be a fairly easy
installation, and the speakers would still
fit back into the corners as normal without any other modifications.

However, that would mean that we
took away 3/4" of the horn on each side, all the way up and down, which I think would
have a negative affect on the performance of the horn. So,
in order to keep the horn size the same, as if it were sitting in the corner without
the backs closed in, I need to install the back pieces back 3/4", or on the outside of
the horn. This will
mean that the grills will need to be larger to cover the edges of those back pieces,
and the tophat pieces of wood will have to be extended back 3/4" so they fit tight against
the wall corners.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Dimitry, since you have wooden floors have a look at how I did my 60th anniversary style backs. Just follow along with the pictures in the link below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115266395444773202379/Khorn60thAnniversaryStyleBacks#

Rich

This was my suggestion from the very beginning. I built the corners from the Dope From Hope and actually saw and heard that at Paul Klipsch's house in 1985. The enclosed back mod is more CRITICAL because it affect the frequencies from 300-400 Hz., where the Khorn needs it the most. So even if the hydronic heat registers push the horns out of the corners slithtly, the low bass will still be there with the enclosed backs. Ideally, you would want to do both, but diminishing returns creep in.

the photos in your link are way more powerful than these or my original words. Hope the guy who posted the question has done something about it already and enjoying the music.

Dimitry, since you have wooden floors have a look at how I did my 60th anniversary style backs. Just follow along with the pictures in the link below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115266395444773202379/Khorn60thAnniversaryStyleBacks#

Rich

Thanks, Rich!

Perhaps I will take up this project some day.

For now, put together the false corners made out of 3/4" wood panels. The bass has improved dramatically. I can feel it in my chest now. :D The LF can be clearly felt by putting the hand on the false corner side - there is palpable vibration. If anything, the 3/4" may not be enough thickness. The false corner design in the Klipsch manual shows a beefier framed construcion.

For now, put together the false corners made out of 3/4" wood panels. The bass has improved dramatically. I can feel it in my chest now. :D The LF can be clearly felt by putting the hand on the false corner side - there is palpable vibration. If anything, the 3/4" may not be enough thickness. The false corner design in the Klipsch manual shows a beefier framed construcion.

[Y]

If you are familiar with "waferboard", this very stiff material can be used to double up on the backside of the false corners to reduce flexing.

I have the same problem with my drywall side walls of my room flexing below ~20 Hz, which eats most of the TH subwoofer output below this frequency. My plan is to affix waferboard to the side walls to stiffen them a great deal more in the mouth area of the subs..

Chris