UPGRADE FROM D-BOX 300 to PW-2200, WORTH IT OR NOT!

AKAAMIT

So what do you guys think,

will i notice a big difference in sound quality as well as quantity. Also will the pw-2200 be more musical. Just a few quick questions i had before upgrading.

Thanks to all who help, the other, well, ahhhh.

Sorry, just kiding, LOL!

The answer is YES the upgrade is well worth it.The PW2200 has much greater deep bass output,better built quality.As for sub bass quality I would give two thimbs up to the PW2200,the D-Box 300 is no slouch(for a inexpensive sub).

IF you want more output and true deep bass then YES the PW2200 is worth your money.If you want more definition then NO the upgrade is not really worth it.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Less boomy,yes the PW2200 is quite clean.I would even say the PW2200 lacks the usual bass colorations of a few subs in its price range.Its not the reference but not far from it.

Lets say the PW2200 is a great purchase.Canadians cannot find a beter deal.Its a sure bet.

I would say in the US of A the best buy is the SVS CS-Plus.

Note most subs can sound boomy if crossed over too high,set to overpower the mains and placed in a room where acoustics are carboard box style.The best subs for such rooms are sealed cabinets or passive radiators used in place of ports.Cabinet integrity plays a role too.

The PW2200 up to 80Hz is very clean,used it with my then main HT speakers the Paradigm Studio 100's.I after upgraded to the Servo-15.The Servo-15 is probably the reference for clean deep bass.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks guys, i am now for sure am convinced the PW-2200 is for me, but i do have one other concern which has to do with placement. My room is about 14 x 19 x 8 feet, and the only place that i can put the paradigm is in the corner, about 13 inches away from back wall and 14 inches away from side wall. The sub actually fires into an opening (my hall) 19 feet away. My concern is will the sub sound boomy if placed in that position, firing into an opening.

I have heard many people say thhe pw-2200 is only good when away from corners, but then also hear if placed a minimum of 12 inches away from back wall it will be fine.

Thanks again!

You will lose a bit of sound level if the sub is to fire into an opening, as the walls won't be there to reinforce the sound. It should sound fine, however.

I have my PW-2200 right behind the couch... Sounds great at about 1/4 volume and set @ 0 on the Denon channel level!!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Seb,

Since you sell Paradigm I have a question for you.Did you hear about the awesome Paradigm Servo-25?The Servo-25 is housed in a Servo-15 cabinet with a 1350W RMS switching power amp(a la BASH type)and uses the new awesome(to say the least) 15" ultra high excursion woofer(this thing is a beast).

I want this sub when when/if gets out.With the Servo-25 Paradigm should equal the heavy weight Velodyne HGS18 and other big cheese competition.

I cant wait

I just hope Paradigm has the sub out before this year end.I want one bad

Imagine a super Servo-15(in other words much more output!)

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 06-19-2002 at 08:04 PM

AKA-

I have the PW-2200 and I think it is a great sub. It has both great musical and HT capabilities and matches up great with my Chorus II/Forte II HT. If you are in Canada, I'd be on one (or two) in a heartbeat.

My PW2200 is along the side wall in my family room, 16x24, with vaulted ceilings, about 2 ft from the back corner, firing towards the front wall. I love this position because it is just behind the love seat and gives some great vibrations during bass passages.

Guys, I don't sell Paradigm.

I will not miss an occasion to talk about the brand's numerous merits, however, because I'm not a salesman when it comes to this board. I am trying not to let that side of my life affect this board. If I think a product is better than another one, I'll say it, regardless of whether my store carries it or not.

For example, I love Harman/Kardon and Paradigm products and never miss a chance to recommend them for consideration...

If, however, I can offer a bit of inside information as to new products developments or product comparisons, then all the better! But never to the detriment of my precious neutrality.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

O.K. Seb,

This sounds exciting, do you know anything about this Servo-25 thing? I'm seriously considering a Servo-15 to go along with my R*-7 setup, but am worried that there isn't enough output. So, I was considering two PW2200's instead. Smile.gif

Sounds to me like a Servo 25 might be up my alley if the price was right. Better WAF too, compared to the PW2200's.

Is there an expected delivery date? How much to you think they will cost?

-PB

to reiterate, as it appears I wasn't clear enough in my above post cwm5.gif sorry!

I do NOT sell paradigm, nor have any kind of inside info on their products (quite unfortunately I must say). Besides, you can very often find the skinny on new products on the Internet before the sales team in any store knows about it!

Sorry...

------------------

Hey guys,

I just thought of another pw-2200 questioncwm40.gif. My reciever (onkyo tx-ds575x) has a fixaed crossover at 80hx when speakers are set to small. What should i set the crossover to on sub, is 80 hz ok. The other thing is can't i disable the crossover on the pw-2200 so just the recievers bass management is working. If not, then what happens exactly when two cross-overs are in a effect, does the sound quality degrade.

I think this is a question for you the ear or maybe even Seb. I dunno.

Thanks again!

AKAAMIT, thanks. I get the picture now. cwm25.gif

You want the crossover on the your sub to be set higher than 80hz. Your receiver is sending everything below 80hz to your sub. If you set your crossover on the sub below 80hz, you will be losing a portion of the sound (i.e. if you set your sub at 50hz, you would lose all sound between 50 and 80hz).

I would set it clearly above 80hz, your sub won't play anything over that anyway because your receiver has sent it to your mains.

-PB

Seb,

My mistake,I was sure you were the big 300 + lbs white van guy with discounted Paradigm speakers who drives around town,and knew all the insider details. Wink.gif

Sorry for that

I think Paradigm is ignoring my emails,I sent two and no repply!I will not be surprised if the so called Servo-25 will not show up anytime soon(amp problems?).

Look at Mirage and Energy new subs(they removed them from the market)same fate as the Klipsch LF10 and 12.All failing amps

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 06-23-2002 at 09:09 AM