Centre channel for jubilee's

Turbox

I might add that it was my wondering about a center channel that had me specifically ask Roy about slapping a K402 atop a LaScala. I remembered the commentary that one goal of the Jubilee was to raise the crossover point of the Khorn so it could go 2-way.

It then dawned on me that the LaScala went higher than the Khorn so I emailed Roy about putting the 402 on top. Several months later, he popped up with the paramaters for the JubeScala and all the DSP requirements for the Dx-38 and it was born.

How many companies will do that for their customers?

the front sound stage is on an 18ft wall, The Jubilee's are toed into the corners. In between the left and right there is 11 ft. I would prefer to keep the centre channel no higher than 3ft, width isnt an issue. this allows me to pull the screen down in front of the existing TV. I can keep the centre channel in place during regular TV and also during movies.

I was thinking the KPT4350MS, but am open to other options, just wondering what you guys are using? i had a couple other crazier idea's...

• Moderators

2'nd pick and what I'll be using, JubeScala

I'm with Coytee... how about your MF / HF section in the middle with a Lascala bass bin on either side to keep it under 36" ?

The 510 horn would work also, with the LaScala for a center is not as nice as the 402 but ok for a center.

510 on a single MWM would work fine also, it's 43 1/4" for a 402 and a single MWM, just measured it, the 402 is 26 5/8" by itself, so on the side of a LaScala would work.

But I have to ask with 11' between the Jub's I would guess phantom would work, in stereo it should sound like the sound is from the center anyway. I have 16' center to center of the 402 horns and it sounds like the sound is from the center.

• Moderators

How about this one, now were getting crazy?

The only thing crazy about that is not having the 402 on top. [:o]

I use a single MWM's with split LaScala tops for outside, I don't think there is a terrible difference from the double bass bins, sounds like a LaScala with more bass.

I would like to hear 5 sets of MWM/402 for movies, that would sound crazy. [Y]

Hi Turbox,

I used a JubScala (402/k69 on top of a LaScala bass bin for center between my Jubilees. It worked perfectly. I also tried the 510/k69 atop the LaScala bass bin as center and it worked equally well.

My recommendation for center, per your parameters, would be a 510 atop a LaScala bass bin. The only thing missing in the LaScala bass bin is the very deepest information, that likely isn't is center channel anyway. A LaScala bass bin with 510 will also be under 36".

What are you guys using as a centre channel.

I have successfully been using a tri-amped Belle. Here are the Dx38 settings that I've been using:

Settings for tri-amping an '82 Belle with an active digital crossover

I recommend raising the Belle up to within a few inches of being on centerline with the flanking Jub K-402 horns. I use some old speaker boxes underneath the Belle to raise it, which provides a solid cavity-free riser for the Belle in order to avoid 200+ Hz bass "suck-outs" in its FR.

If you could buy any centre channel, what would it be?

I think that I'd stay with the Belle, actually, since it integrates well between the Jubs--in fact much better than I'd ever hoped.

I might eventually try a K-510, but I'd also look for a better driver than the K-69-A, such as a Faital Pro driver. The downside to this is that the Faital Pro driver hasn't been EQed in the chamber in Hope, and this is a pretty big deal for a HF driver, IMHO. I would have to construct an outside "anechoic chamber" to EQ or find a TAD TD-4002 for the center K-510 instead.

One thing that I really don't understand: why would you continue to use passive crossovers with Jubs or JubScalas/JuBelles? You can't get proper time alignment and this I find is the second most important single function of a crossover crossing, being extremely audible and objectionable when time mis-aligned (in Jubs). There are also other issues with passives that are audible. I've found that time alignment is necessary in order to match timbres of the fronts and center speakers when you are dealing with Jubs.

Chris

La scala Splits are super rare around here. they are very difficult to find. your probably right about the 402 on top of the mwm. I just dont have the space. i think the 510 703 i have will work. in a three way or even just the 510 in a two way.

Anyone have a La scala split bin thats in nice condition?

in stereo it should sound like the sound is from the center anyway. I have 16' center to center of the 402 horns and it sounds like the sound is from the center.

Centre to Centre i have 15ft, and your right in sterero, i have had the same experience, sound comes from the centre. I just measured my Jubilee Bins, they are Just under 40 inches high. Wonder if i should increase my height limit to 3 ft 4 inches. i was trying to keep my screen viewing area as large as possible, but i be talked into sacrificing the extra viewing space for a Jubilee bin maybe... It might not be conventional, but if i did use the jubilee bin, i'd use my 510MF/703HF seciton, which i've already used in the past, it works well actually. i have a passive xover for it, with an autoformer to match the top half with the jubilee bin. The more i think about that, the better that idea gets. i think my screen viewing area was limiting my options.