Forte IIs and headphones for similar sound

hawkster

I have owned a pair of Forte IIs for nearly 20 years, and enjoy them as much now as the day I bought them. However, sometimes I must reluctantly trade my Forte IIs for a pair of headphones. I realize no set of cans can duplicate the sound of full-size speakers, but what suggestions would you have for me to get a headphone experience most in keeping with the Fortes? I've been reading about open-back models recently, and I'm thinking that might be the way to go. (Better spatiality being the primary appeal. When listening to headphones, I am almost always alone, at least in the room, so sound leakage isn't an issue.) My current 'phones are the Shure SRH840. My budget is in the $ 300 - 500 range.

For open back give Grado a try. I recently purchased an SR80 (~$100 new, way under your price range), and really enjoy the sound. They compliment my Chorus II's in their full spectrum sound. There is a brick and mortar store here in Madison that allows auditioning of many Grado models. Try and find a place close to you to sample. Hope this is helpful.

You cant go wrong with Grado.. I have the 60s and they are an excellent value. The upper models are probably fantastic.

My son and I visited the Grado offices and plant in Brooklyn several years ago and they were very nice. John Grado has high standards and a humble operation. Its a family business that started in the mid fifties making phono cartridges.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD595's and the sound is very detailed but considerably brighter than my Cornscalas. I have one of the Altoid can headphone amps that I normally use, but last night I plugged them in to my Scott 299c while spinning some vinyl for a direct comparison of the phones and my speakers. The phones were pretty fatiguing after 5 mintues or so. It's different strokes for different folks, but in my opinion the 595's will likely be bright with any amp. Fwiw, construction is top notch and they are very comfortable. I should probably point out that these phones are an entirely different beast from the HD600's mentioned above.