I'm a little bit pregnant.....

oldmako

Cryptic notations inside lead me to conclude that somebody has been in there a time or two. 1970 and 74 in fact. I popped the case tonight and tried to sweep away the thickest of the dust and crud. There is no evidence of fire, so I guess that's a good thing. [:D] I cleaned the pots with detox and the receiver is now silent with the exception of the stereo / reverse channel switch. I never use it, so I'm happy with the result. It's very very quiet. I like.

I spent some time tonight looking at concluded eBay auctions. I've got a coprophagous grin on my face!

Question to Craig: 3D soundstage? Is this an amplifier's job or is it the speaker's? Can an amplifier connected to the same speakers make a 3D difference compared to a different amplifier? I have heard differences regarding tonality throughout the frequencies.

In short an reproduction audio "system" if just that a "system" of seperate components trying to achieve a goal. It all makes a difference. In this case the weakest link is a 50+ year old piece of gear that is absolutely not working optimally.... tackle the weakest link first is always the best course of action IMHO.

No such thing as "A little bit Pregnant." You either IS or IS NOT. Great score on your part.! Wink Taz

The reason I wrote that is the gentleman promised to hold it for me, but until that mother was in my hot little hand I wasn't counting on it! He told me that he had been bombarded with emails. I responded to him less than 20 mins after he posted the ad at eleven PM.

It's definitely a keeper and after just minor cleaning sounds great. Eventually its going out for refurb. Right now its powering Fortes in my bedroom.

The AD mentions that it still works fine. I have had deals fall through at the last minute before, so I won't hold my breath.

Been there, done that. If your pleased with the cosmetic's, think you'll keep her (I sure would), and after you're done drooling on her, send it to Craig and let him replace the bad cap's/resistors/etc. you'll have'em guaranteed. Craig will also give her a nice spit shine and clean the rheostat's, you'll never regret it.

The Fisher 500B IMHO is one of the coolest Looking Retro Receivers. I was on the Hunt for one several years ago and finally found an excellent condition one for $400. Under the tutellege of Craig at NOS Valves (Thanks Craig !), I recapped it and peformed the other necessary procedures to bring it up to snuff. I bought a Custom Made Cabinet that is truly stunning. All in all I've got about $1300 in it and a lot of fun. It turned out very Nice.

BTW - If someone can tell me how to keep my pictures from getting truncated on the right side in this forum, I would appreciate it. They look fine when I edit the post, until it is submitted. Thanks.

Front-Top.jpg

PolishedClassis.jpg

InsideChassis.jpg

I have my Fisher 500C hooked up to a "restored" pair of AR-4ax's. Currently the system is being used in a spare bedroom.

When I do use it and hear how the music fills up the room, which then fills into the house, I wonder why I leave it in the bedroom.

Fisher 500C

Maybe you are exceeding the max size allowance.

Possibly.........But it would be nice if the software

1.) Gave me the error that I'm exceeding the Max Size allowance.

2.) Shrunk the picture on all sides instead of a blunt right side truncation

3.) Didn't show the whole picture on an edit, so as to tip you off that you have offended it.

I understand software, as I write it.