Break Off Thread - Closed Back K-Horns?

philipbarrett

pb,

Those are my Khorns, and yes, they sound fantastic!

Greg Roberts performed the work on them and he is definitely a craftsman. He is also a member of this forum but his forum name escapes me at the moment. Here is the link to the total restoration of the Khorns.

http://www.klipschupgrades.com/flkhorn.shtml

Mike

Mike´s khorns are works of art! But one thing stuck in my mind over the years though, if the khorns are not going to be placed tightly into corners PWK recommended that false corners or the closed back extend at least 24" past the front of the khorns, not stop short of the fronts. I may be wrong about this, I will check my "Dope form Hopes". anyone else remember that? warm regards, Tony

pb,

Those are my Khorns, and yes, they sound fantastic!

Greg Roberts performed the work on them and he is definitely a craftsman. He is also a member of this forum but his forum name escapes me at the moment. Here is the link to the total restoration of the Khorns.

http://www.klipschupgrades.com/flkhorn.shtml

Mike

Volti Audio and it says the best way to reach him is by e-mail. Gregroberts@roadrunner.com

the 60th edition khorns are enclosed. worth noting is that the top and bottom of the khorn bass bin as well as the tops and bottoms of the top hats are bigger than regular khorns. this is because the sections used to seal the backs would equivalently have to be put on the outer edges of the existing top and bottom sections. So if you go this route....do not try to put the enclosed sections in between the existing tops and bottoms. if you do that, you would be reducing your exit area. Klipsch was not the first to enclose the backs...electro voice did this on their klipsch licensed versions of their khorns back in the early 60's.

the 60th edition khorns are enclosed. worth noting is that the top and bottom of the khorn bass bin as well as the tops and bottoms of the top hats are bigger than regular khorns. this is because the sections used to seal the backs would equivalently have to be put on the outer edges of the existing top and bottom sections. So if you go this route....do not try to put the enclosed sections in between the existing tops and bottoms. if you do that, you would be reducing your exit area.

Exactly! And that is how Greg did mine. He had to extend everything out 3/4" to have the same exit area of the horn. It looked like a fair amount of work, but well worth the finished product.

Mike

form klipsch customer support: "The Klipschorn® requires corner placement because the walls of the room serve to

complete the speakers low frequency horn. To achieve full low frequency extension, the

Klipschorn® should fit tightly in a corner without baseboard or trim interference and the

wall surfaces should extend at least 25 inches beyond the side grilles without

obstructions. The Klipschorn is equipped with rubber wall seals to ensure airtight contact

with the wall."

check these plans out

http://webservice.gentec-intl.com/GentecInc/commodity/5512/howtouse.pdf

regards, tony

Yes, Klipschorns with backs and Jubilees need the corners. With the Klipschorn, the walls are needed to finish the LF horn, which doesn't apply to the Jubilee. However, both speakers need corner loading to get all of that last half octave. Roy says the Jubilee needs be within 12 inches or closer to get the correct LF behavior, and I would imagine the same would apply to a Klipschorn with the rear section enclosed -- which increases the rigidity of the cabinet and sounds much better to me. The bass takes on a punchy LaScala quality -- except with balls.

• 2 weeks later...