Newbie looking for surround sound system

bobc910

if i told anyone what i paid for my rf-7's they would cry lol, the owner of local klipsch deal had some sitting playing two channel mode in his game room just for music maybe had 100 hrs on them, got lucky, but if you are patient def. a good deal to be had.

Two years ago I originally paid $1400 for my Cherry RF-7's in mint condition, they also came with: Pair of Minty RS-7's, Mint RC-7 (Black), Mint RSW-15 (Cherry). $1400 for all. I'd say beat that but....after two+ years now of buying and selling, and after I've finally figured out what I wanted. The system is now RF-7's, RS-7's, RB-5's, RC-7, (2) RSW-15's. All for FREE. Yup. I'm pretty darn satisfied to say the least :) Word to the OP as to not be a total distraction from original query. Many a good deal are to be had with patience and knowledge. Figuring out what you want is key, then finding that at a great price will make you very happy :)

if i told anyone what i paid for my rf-7's they would cry lol

Please tell us.....I could really use a good cry!

Lol, now that's funny. As a side note I did kinda overpay on my Gallery G-28's. Original MSRP = $1497 for 3 - G-28's. I paid $750 for 3 - G- 28's eight months ago. Last week Newegg was selling 3 - G-28's for $507 ($169 a piece instead of $499). They were very new at the time I purchased them so the price was actually very good. But I could have waited and if so paid much less. Ahh, the laws of diminishing returns......

Figuring out what you want is key

That was the hardest part for me, because when you are new to all of this, it is a new world. Good luck on your quest to audio nirvana.

+1 Nothing beats listening to different speakers before pulling the trigger to buy.

ok ok but i bet youthman has me beat 500$ total for both, they were the last series made before the rf7IIs came out based on sn number, dont ever feel like i need to upgrade again.

I didn't know that you could beat free. I guess I need to work on getting people to give me money in addition to carrying away their speakers for them ;)

I will keep reading this forum and draw on
others’ experience before making any move.
It took me a long time to save up for this project and doing it right is
a must. After I pulled the trigger, it
will be many more years before I can upgrade.
My kids will be going to college in a couple years and I know the old
man (that’s me by the way) will have to help out with the tuitions. Thank you once again for so many great
suggestions.

My homework assignment for the next couple weeks is to visit a few shops and check out what they have in their showrooms.

I didn't know that you could beat free. I guess I need to work on getting people to give me money in addition to carrying away their speakers for them ;)

If we are talking buying and selling over time and the profits made going back into our systems, then many of us will have free gear. If that is the case, my $3300.00 Revel B15 subwoofer was free. I bought a B&K amp for $100.00, sold it for $400.00. Bought another B&K amp for $200.00 and traded it for the Revel B15 plus $450.00 cash. Paid $200.00 for a Sunfire subwoofer, sold it for $700.00. Paid $70.00 for RB-5's, sold for $300.00. You get the picture.[;)]

If done right, we can all have free systems.[:D]

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have the link to that Anthem user? Which model? What kind of issues? The only issue I've had was with the internet radio. That was resolved when Vtuner updated their site.

I've had nothing but great sound from my MRX500. I had a Denon 3801 and a Marantz 1601 before but the MRX took the sound quality beyond what I was expecting. Calibrating the ARC software does take some time and effort but well worth it. Minor adjustments can be made easily and then reinstalled in the receiver.

I've heard alot of great feedback on those units as well (including my local dealer), but I guess some were not so fortunate (I think this is the user he was refering to, and the issues he was having: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/1886822.aspx )

ROb

I ended up with a pair of RF7 Black + JBL 076 tweeters for front, and RC7 + B&W CC6 + JBL 076 tweeters for center. The seller is lending me the Sunfire TGP II and some amps to test out those speakers. Looking forward to testing out the speakers.

Thanks again for the great suggestions.