OLED, & 4K TV's

Gilbert

At typical viewing distances you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between a good 4K TV and a high quality HD TV. The highest resolution readily available source material is currently Blu-Ray, unless a newer streamable higher resolution source becomes available there is not currently much benefit.

Home Theater Review was recently in Vegas and there should be some professional reviews on their Facebook or home page that can help you decide.

Pixels aren't everything. Here a quick synopsis.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/forget-4k-ultra-hd-tvs--i-want-an-oled-tv-230337960.html

They have enough trouble hiding zits, dandruf, hairs, and booggers on the actors now at 1080P.

JJK

LMAO, I thought about that too when I bought my first high def. 1080p. Cameron Diaz, hottie that she is, looks much better at a distance, but upclose and personal, on the high-res. plasma, well, not so good.

I found out about these new higher resolution technologies while doing a little recon & research on AVR's. I had been wanting to install a new HTS, but with this upcoming new technology, I think I'll hold-off on the new AVR purchase. Installing a 84" anything is gonna require a little cabinet work as well, just to make it fit and look right.

Next time I'm in town I'll drop by our local high-end video store (Bjorn's), and check out the new stuff.

Thanks guys.

The 4K TV is just an intermediate step: the 8K television (with 22.2 channel sound) has been under development for some time. http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/trev_2008-Q2_nhk-ultra-hd.pdf . I suspect the next step will be 360-degree televisions made with OLED's. You would, in effect, sit inside the screen

So which one of you is gonna be the first to have a 22.2 channel home theater?

Anyone gotten to test drive these new toys? Will they actually ever be worth the price of admission?

I sat and watched about 15 minutes on the LG 84" 4K yesterday. The audio store had just set it up and were playing the new Batman blu ray. The picture was absolutely amazing but for 18k and no 4K sources, I'll sit this technology out until prices come down and the sources go up.