Epik Subwoofers email answered

mustang guy

I sent the following to Epik:

> I bought one of your speakers for my 16 yr old son for Christmas, and
> couldn't be happier. I checked your site, and you are still listing
> everything as being sold out. When are you going to have stock, or
> are you developing new subs? I'd hate to see you all go belly up!
> People in the Klipsch forums rave about the Epik subs.
>
> What's going to happen?
>
> Craig

Here was their response

Craig,

Thanks for your email and I apologize for the delayed reply.

We're not going anywhere, and we do hope to get product back in stock soon and also start offering some new products, too.

Unfortunately, both the Legend and Empire subwoofers are out of stock at this time. We could not have anticipated the volume of sales we received from our recent Cyber Week Sale. It will take us some time yet, before we can re-stock our inventory.

It will take a couple of months or more before they are available again and ready to ship. We will update the NEWS section on our website when we have a more accurate estimate. The price of the Legend and Empire will be the introductory pricing listed on the website.

In the meantime, we are not taking backorders for new orders.

Please, let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.

Thanks again for your email and your interest in Epik Subwoofers.

All the best,

Karen L.
Epik Subwoofers
sales@epiksubwoofers.com
www.epiksubwoofers.com

You guys try to run a company. If they get a huge amount of orders, their production gets sold out. But if they buy too much (and go too far out on a limb) and don't sell, they are in trouble and have to carry the debt load.

Now they are out of stock and need to buy more components and the lead time on prooduction goods can be really long (even for big companies, ask Klipsch what is going on with the Palladiums - they had problems with suppliers and are bringing things back in house).

I would hate to own Epik and have everyone saying that they are out of business. I own a small company and it is easy to go from a little work to not being able to keep up at all with a small spike in business. It has to be much worse with a product like a subwoofer that may have a 4 to 6 month lead time for an order (you want the price to stay low, right?).

You guys try to run a company. If they get a huge amount of orders, their production gets sold out. But if they buy too much (and go too far out on a limb) and don't sell, they are in trouble and have to carry the debt load.

Now they are out of stock and need to buy more components and the lead time on prooduction goods can be really long (even for big companies, ask Klipsch what is going on with the Palladiums - they had problems with suppliers and are bringing things back in house).

I would hate to own Epik and have everyone saying that they are out of business. I own a small company and it is easy to go from a little work to not being able to keep up at all with a small spike in business. It has to be much worse with a product like a subwoofer that may have a 4 to 6 month lead time for an order (you want the price to stay low, right?).

I agree with everything you say BUT when the owner has a history of going belly up with a previous company, I'm a little sceptical. You learn from your mistakes or else your destined to repeat them.

One thing I do know is that they have some problems. Well structured healthy businesses don't end up out of stock of their entire product line for indefinite periods of time.

I'm with you Carl. I tend to think that this may be the MO of this particular guy.

Either they wanted to make a clean break in 2012, or they simply needed cash for something and will be back in 2 months like she said.

Ascendant Audio???Wink

I could swear it was Outlaw Audio or someone else like that. The tone of the letter sounded exactly the same...in short "we don't know"

Tom, I did the "winkey" face because Ascendant Audio was his last business to go belly up..I still have 4 of his drivers in my IB.

You're probably thinking of ElementalDesigns.

The Ascendand Audio drivers were THE driver for DIY sonotubes, box subs and IB's when they were available. They used XBL2 motors and had tremendous x-max compared to most everything else that was out there. They were also very popular in automotive application. Pricing was reasonable and performance was exceptional. Toward the end,I remember drivers getting scarce, communication starting getting bad, web sites changed and they just kind of went away. At the very end, I believe it was just him (Chad Kuypers) and his dad. They sold their line to Ficaraudio. I know Scott at Ficaraudio assumed all warranty repairs on the AA drivers.

Chad was a great guy to talk to on the phone. He's very passionate about his craft but I have to wonder about his business sense. His original vocation was a concert cellist. That's about all I remember about AA.

As a side note, I still use my AA drivers in my IB and absolutely love them.

Maybe he's trying to sell the company. Maybe his business sense is better than you think and he is making successful companies and selling them for profit.

Anything is possible but if that were the case, you'd think he would do it while it was successfully up and running. Not after ignoring e-mails and running out of merchandise. I've never owned my own business, so don't take much stock[:P] in what I say.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a pair of Empires during the cyber week sale late last year. They came promptly and they do a nice job of filling in the bottom end working with my Belles and I've been content with the ROI. I've had no prior experience with plate amps but they sure run hot. Anyway, tonight one failed to power up from "auto-on". It does run from "on but I'm a bit concerned... Perhaps concerned is too strong a word; disappointed is perhaps more accurate. I"ll be emailing Epik and let you know what I hear.

Sigh... Mike

I bought a pair of Empires during the cyber week sale late last year. They came promptly and they do a nice job of filling in the bottom end working with my Belles and I've been content with the ROI. I've had no prior experience with plate amps but they sure run hot. Anyway, tonight one failed to power up from "auto-on". It does run from "on but I'm a bit concerned... Perhaps concerned is too strong a word; disappointed is perhaps more accurate. I"ll be emailing Epik and let you know what I hear.

Sigh... Mike

Mike,

The auto-on in a plate amp is sentitive, and could need a y-adapter to get enough signal to turn on. It is a $3 part, and is worth a try. You will get a 3db gain, so adjust your gain knob correspondingly.

• 3 weeks later...

MG (It's Craig, isn't it?) Sorry for the slow response. Your thought was news to me and turned out to be the correct diagnosis. Thanks for taking the time to provide the input. It's a relief that I don't have a bad switch or whatever.

There's still no action on the Epik site. It's difficult to understand how someone in business could think it a good course to be uncommunicative for so long.

All the best and thanks again,

Mike

MG (It's Craig, isn't it?) Sorry for the slow response. Your thought was news to me and turned out to be the correct diagnosis. Thanks for taking the time to provide the input. It's a relief that I don't have a bad switch or whatever.

There's still no action on the Epik site. It's difficult to understand how someone in business could think it a good course to be uncommunicative for so long.

All the best and thanks again,

Mike

Glad it worked. I think Epik is a goner...

Glad it worked. I think Epik is a goner...

I think you are right mustang guy. I would not have recommend the Legend if I knew that they were going to belly up soon after I made the recommendation. I like my sub and hate to see the ID companies in trouble. It is so difficult to find audio stores with a descent selection of subwoofers.